Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Tips for Meguiars #7

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
scansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nice
Tips for Meguiars #7

Hey everyone, have never posted in the detailing section before. This spring break I plan on doing a full detail on my car. I ordered a bunch of products and bought the Meguiars #7 polish. Ive searched on here and evidently, its hard to work with by hand. Any tips on applying this by hand and such and how to apply polishes in general?

I used to detail cars, but I left the machine buffers to this one mexican guy because he was good. I'm afraid of burning my paint so buffing by machine is out of the question. I know I should have bought the #81 but I'm stuck wtih the #7. Any help would be great. Thanks
Old 03-14-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
it is easy. just use it sparingly but be sure to cover every part of the paint. let it sit for 30 mins, then with a new cloth, take it off like wax. it is kinda hard so i would suggest using 100% cotton cloths and then once you have most of it off, use microfiber to clear the residue. otherwise it will leave oily streaks. then when you're done, go over it with a new microfiber. just have alot of clean cloth and microfiber on hand. don't forget to apply wax immediately once you're done with the glaze/polish. never apply in swirls, only in back/forth motion
Old 03-15-2006
Registered!!

scansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nice
Originally Posted by gearbox
never apply in swirls, only in back/forth motion
Are you referring to the wax or the polish?

Also, what is a polish and what does it do? Im assuming its an oil of some sort but I really have no clue.
Old 03-15-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
both. the meguiar's #7 is a polish/glaze that contails oils to condition the paint. it will make the most difference in how the paint looks. a polish is generally a very mild abrasive that smoothens and fills in fine scratches. you should glaze/polish once a year and wax when needed (usually every 4-6 months).
Old 03-15-2006
Registered!!

Haha wow I never knew you weren't supposed to apply wax in a circular motion. Any reasoning for this? Also, Ive never polished my car but I'm looking forward to the results.
Old 03-15-2006
Premium Member

ya you will get swirl marks obviously. you're always supposed to use back/forth motion even when washing the car.
Old 03-15-2006
How many pots have you smoken?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
manthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of light
i always thought circular strokes were better...its cuz stupid mr miagi taught us "wax on, wax off" in a circular motion!
Old 03-15-2006
Premium Member

miagi is wrong i hate to say it
Old 03-15-2006
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Originally Posted by manthatguysfast
i always thought circular strokes were better...its cuz stupid mr miagi taught us "wax on, wax off" in a circular motion!
Dayum, i thought i was the only one to still remember that!
(each time i wax my car )
Old 03-15-2006
Registered!!

Alright this is what I bought so let me konw what you think

1) Wash my car normally
2) Bought mothers clay bar, so im gonna clay my car for the first time
3) Meguiars 7 polish
4) Some meguiars hi-tech wax (1 coat or 2?)

Is this the right order of things and is there anything else I should be doing?
Old 03-15-2006
Premium Member

1 coat wax is good but get something else that lasts longer. i've used KIT and it lasts forever like 6 months at least. turtle wax ultra gloss actually makes the paint shine more. very good wax.
Old 03-16-2006
Registered!!

What about meguiars gold class, i have some of that still in my garage.
Old 03-16-2006
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
bahhhhh your wax lasts for 6 months cuz you don't have oak tres queefing their yellow pollen all over everything.
Old 03-16-2006
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
Yeah, gold class is great wax wax, it will look real good, but it will only last like two-three months TOPS.
Old 03-16-2006
Premium Member

ya meguiar's doesn't last more than a couple months even their nxt line. KIT lasts longest, turtle wax not as long but best shine.
Old 03-16-2006
Registered!!

Well I like to wax my car so its no big deal if I do it every couple months anyways.
Old 03-20-2006
Registered!!

Wellllll, its been a 2 day process doing everything by hand. The clay worked way better than I thought it would. The polish was also a pleasant surprise. I'm in the process of the adding the wax right now. I plan to do 2 coats throughout the day. I'll take some pictures later.