Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   Tips for Meguiars #7 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/251929-tips-meguiars-7-a.html)

scansel912 03-14-2006 10:24 PM

Tips for Meguiars #7

Hey everyone, have never posted in the detailing section before. This spring break I plan on doing a full detail on my car. I ordered a bunch of products and bought the Meguiars #7 polish. Ive searched on here and evidently, its hard to work with by hand. Any tips on applying this by hand and such and how to apply polishes in general?

I used to detail cars, but I left the machine buffers to this one mexican guy because he was good. I'm afraid of burning my paint so buffing by machine is out of the question. I know I should have bought the #81 but I'm stuck wtih the #7. Any help would be great. Thanks :_beer: :_beer: :_beer:

gearbox 03-14-2006 10:44 PM

it is easy. just use it sparingly but be sure to cover every part of the paint. let it sit for 30 mins, then with a new cloth, take it off like wax. it is kinda hard so i would suggest using 100% cotton cloths and then once you have most of it off, use microfiber to clear the residue. otherwise it will leave oily streaks. then when you're done, go over it with a new microfiber. just have alot of clean cloth and microfiber on hand. don't forget to apply wax immediately once you're done with the glaze/polish. never apply in swirls, only in back/forth motion

scansel912 03-15-2006 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by gearbox
never apply in swirls, only in back/forth motion

Are you referring to the wax or the polish?

Also, what is a polish and what does it do? Im assuming its an oil of some sort but I really have no clue.

gearbox 03-15-2006 12:59 AM

both. the meguiar's #7 is a polish/glaze that contails oils to condition the paint. it will make the most difference in how the paint looks. a polish is generally a very mild abrasive that smoothens and fills in fine scratches. you should glaze/polish once a year and wax when needed (usually every 4-6 months).

scansel912 03-15-2006 01:12 AM

Haha wow I never knew you weren't supposed to apply wax in a circular motion. Any reasoning for this? Also, Ive never polished my car but I'm looking forward to the results.

gearbox 03-15-2006 02:39 PM

ya you will get swirl marks obviously. you're always supposed to use back/forth motion even when washing the car.

manthatguysfast 03-15-2006 03:17 PM

i always thought circular strokes were better...its cuz stupid mr miagi taught us "wax on, wax off" in a circular motion!

gearbox 03-15-2006 06:55 PM

miagi is wrong i hate to say it

pon55 03-15-2006 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by manthatguysfast
i always thought circular strokes were better...its cuz stupid mr miagi taught us "wax on, wax off" in a circular motion!

Dayum, i thought i was the only one to still remember that!
(each time i wax my car:rofl: )

scansel912 03-15-2006 09:34 PM

Alright this is what I bought so let me konw what you think

1) Wash my car normally
2) Bought mothers clay bar, so im gonna clay my car for the first time
3) Meguiars 7 polish
4) Some meguiars hi-tech wax (1 coat or 2?)

Is this the right order of things and is there anything else I should be doing?

gearbox 03-15-2006 09:54 PM

1 coat wax is good but get something else that lasts longer. i've used KIT and it lasts forever like 6 months at least. turtle wax ultra gloss actually makes the paint shine more. very good wax.

scansel912 03-16-2006 10:55 AM

What about meguiars gold class, i have some of that still in my garage.

shroomster 03-16-2006 10:58 AM

bahhhhh your wax lasts for 6 months cuz you don't have oak tres queefing their yellow pollen all over everything.

jackburton 03-16-2006 11:02 AM

Yeah, gold class is great wax wax, it will look real good, but it will only last like two-three months TOPS.

gearbox 03-16-2006 11:32 AM

ya meguiar's doesn't last more than a couple months even their nxt line. KIT lasts longest, turtle wax not as long but best shine.

scansel912 03-16-2006 11:54 AM

Well I like to wax my car so its no big deal if I do it every couple months anyways.

scansel912 03-20-2006 01:44 PM

Wellllll, its been a 2 day process doing everything by hand. The clay worked way better than I thought it would. The polish was also a pleasant surprise. I'm in the process of the adding the wax right now. I plan to do 2 coats throughout the day. I'll take some pictures later.