my car has been banished to the driveway!! - Honda Civic Forum

Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2002   #1  
Registered!!

wishihadavtec is an unknown quantity at this point
my car has been banished to the driveway!!

alright, me and my mom just moved into a new condo about a month ago. there was no problem cause i had a spot in the garage. she just bought a hot tub without knowing she cant have it own the deck(condo rules) so guess who looses thier spot in the garage?

so my baby is now going to be outside in the elements 24/7. there is absolutly no shade(new place so no trees)
i live in Ohio so we get all types of weather (snow, rain 90* heat to -10* cold)

so what im asking is what do i need to do to my cars paint to protect it from mother nature???[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

please help me!
wishihadavtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002   #2  
Registered!!

wishihadavtec is an unknown quantity at this point
BTW im going to own my car for at lest another 7-8 years, so i really need to protect it
wishihadavtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002   #3  
Registered!!

brill is just really nicebrill is just really nicebrill is just really nicebrill is just really nice
as long as you maintain your car's paint well your civic will be fine. Make sure to wash regularily and wax often aswell... and i mean real wax, not that sprayon stuff that the carwash throws in if you give them $0.50. How much you need to keep a good coat of wax on there is dependant on your area and preference.

I'm in BC, Canada and this spring/summer/fall i'd like to be waxing my car every 2 months minimum... perhaps even once/month during the summer. On the other hand, some guys on this site probably wax their cars weekly.

One thing about parking outside to watch out for in the summer especially is the inside temperature of the car. If you don't have tint, you might want to consider getting some UV protectant tint installed. It keeps the car somewhat cooler inside. The main part is not to leave anything in your car that can melt... like cd cases in direct sunlight can melt provided the temperature is hot enough. My sister once lost her entire cassette collection because she left the box of them in the trunk under direct sunlight.

Another something to consider is one of those collapsable 'tent-car-port' sort of dealies that are cheap but will provide shade and a dry space for your car.

Anyways dood, just some ideas. Good luck wit it.
brill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002   #4  
Registered!!

CivicLX620 is an unknown quantity at this point
When I got my Civic in August i figured i would store itiin a garage. Well mine has been out side since the day i bought it. I just wax it about 2-3 times a month and I think everything will be coo.
CivicLX620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002   #5  
Registered!!

OverTheTop is an unknown quantity at this point
Just keep it clean and waxed every month.
OverTheTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002   #6  
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
I would wax it 2 times a year, fall and spring. Wash it once a week or after it rains. Use a sun shade in the front windshield, and keep your favorite protector on the the dash, doors, etc....

Unless, you live in a severe climate, waxing more than 2 times a year will only make the car look better, not protect the paint better.
Mbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002   #7  
Registered!!

NickDaMans02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Excellent tips my old 88 civic I had I kept a solid coat of wax on it 2 or 3 times a year I waxed and the color stayed decent but with the older paints it still faded. But with my new 2001 I sometimes over wax it like when I first bought it but now I try to wax it between the change from winter to Summer. I live in AZ and as people know the UV index gets 10+ and the heat is 115+ so kills paint quickly if you don't have tint and a good wax job.

New member in the forum but a long time Honda Civic Owner. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

Nick
NickDaMans02Civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002   #8  
Registered!!

phenomenon02 is an unknown quantity at this point
i live in ohio too, i know that weather patterns your talking about, 85% humidty is a biatch! yeah, just buy one of those tent things if u can, put a cover over it if u want at night, my neighbor built a shed jsut for his honda, its pretty nifty.
phenomenon02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002   #9  
Registered!!

Decamo has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Sell that hot tub! I've noticed that cars that stay garaged when not driven look much better after a few yrs pass.
Decamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002   #10  
Registered!!

MexMike is an unknown quantity at this point
The driveway is my spot too and whenever the wind blows pollen from every flower in my neighbor's yard is all over my ride. I take it like a man tho'and wash once a week wax every 6 months.
MexMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002   #11  
Registered!!

JSWhaler is an unknown quantity at this point
I hear you guys. My car has to sit outside in the new england climate all year. I just make sure to wash weekly and wax at least once a month. I'm thinking about investing in a car cover but am unsure of if it will really do anything at night. In the day it comes with me to work. I guess I'll play it by ear.
JSWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote