Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Engine bay cleaning...some Q's

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
technick03 is an unknown quantity at this point
sorry. . . . but if you are going to pressure wash/spray under the hood, you should ALWAYS leave the engine RUNNING, and keep it running for a few minutes after. If you are going to short out anything in your car by putting water on anything under the hood, you better look for a new car. Engines get wet every time you drive in the rain or snow. If you don't believe me, pop the hood next time and see for yourself. njerry is correct, and yes after market parts require special care.
Old 10-14-2005
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Originally Posted by technick03
sorry. . . . but if you are going to pressure wash/spray under the hood, you should ALWAYS leave the engine RUNNING, and keep it running for a few minutes after. If you are going to short out anything in your car by putting water on anything under the hood, you better look for a new car. Engines get wet every time you drive in the rain or snow. If you don't believe me, pop the hood next time and see for yourself. njerry is correct, and yes after market parts require special care.
Well i have worked in electronics for many years and in autoshops for over 40-You will kill and alternator and related electronics if it gets water in it while energized!
Cars a designed to keep rain away from the electronic parts!
Do what you want, i give up!
Old 02-07-2006
Ever Wonder What P.O.S.B.A.S. Is An Acronym For

P.O.S.B.A.S.04 will become famous soon enoughP.O.S.B.A.S.04 will become famous soon enough
god knows i need to clean my engine bay and i have come to the conclusion that the BEST way to do this would be as follows (car turned off):
1) pop hood and use leaf blower to remove any loose standing dirt or debris
2) spray on cd2 or engine cleaner of your choice
3) cover intake, dist. cap, battery and any electircal mods that are not stock!
4) use garden hose to spray down where degreaser was applied
5) when done spraying down, use leaf blower to remove standing water and a quick air dry.
6) go back with shop towels and hand clean everything that was covered before the intial spraying while drying any visible standing water.
7) after car is relatively dry around electrical areas (fuse box, dist. cap, battery, etc...) start the bad boy up and drive it around for a bit to make some heat in there, that way any water around seals & crevices will evaporate
8) Take a picture

any objections, questions, comments or concerns?

hope this helps someone!

Last edited by P.O.S.B.A.S.04; 02-07-2006 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-07-2006
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Originally Posted by P.O.S.B.A.S.04
god knows i need to clean my engine bay and i have come to the conclusion that the BEST way to do this would be as follows (car turned off):
1) pop hood and use leaf blower to remove any loose standing dirt or debris
2) spray on cd2 or engine cleaner of your choice
3) cover intake, dist. cap, battery and any electircal mods that are not stock!
4) use garden hose to spray down where degreaser was applied
5) when done spraying down, use leaf blower to remove standing water and a quick air dry.
6) go back with shop towels and hand clean everything that was covered before the intial spraying.
7) after car is relatively dry around electrical areas (fuse box, dist. cap, battery, etc...) start the bad boy up and drive it around for a bit to make some heat in there, that way any water around seals & crevices will evaporate
8) Take a picture

any objections, questions, comments or concerns?

hope this helps someone!
You got the right idea,but unless your engine is covered in grease and oil don't use an engine cleaner!A biodegradeable cleaner like simplegreen is much less damageing to your car.
Totally dry with leafblower and polish with towles!
Remember to be carefull of stuff getting on the paint (fenders,ect).
(If you spray some tire shine on the engine after your done and dry it will make the next time a simple hose off operation!)
Old 02-07-2006

P.O.S.B.A.S.04 will become famous soon enoughP.O.S.B.A.S.04 will become famous soon enough
good call on the cleaner used...if there is grease and oil: use cd2, etc.... and simple green (and like products) for just a general clean for dirt!!

with our minds collaborating...we can do it and do it well!!
Old 02-12-2006
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
you definitely should not run the engine while cleaning it.. nor should you ever clean the engine when it is hot.
Old 02-13-2006
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about
Yes you should wash your engine bay with the engine off.

I've learned from real life experience. Not just facts or opinions. This is a real story. I'll tell you exactly what happened.

My friend's dad decided one day he should was his engine bay. So my friends dad starts the engine and my friend says to his dad "what are you doing".

dad: "what do you mean"
friend: "why are you running the engine"
dad: "cause you should or you'll mess up something in the engine bay"
friend: "your going to short out something if you keep the engine running"
dad: "no it won't happen:
friend: "ok, we'll see"

The next day, my friend's dad had to buy some sort of electrical component for his jeep. I don't exactly remember what part it was, but it cost $200 to replace it. It wasn't the altenator or anything like that.

Anyways, if my friend's dad wasn't so ignorant, he would have saved $200. I mean $200 is not bad, but you could have spent $200 on better things.
Old 02-13-2006
Registered!!

jerseydetailer has a little shameless behaviour in the past
didnt want to post of pic of my car being that its stock and all but here goes

i do it monthly...
1)dont do it with a hot engine...you can crack the block
2)dont need a pressure washer...actually dont use one
3)use different brushes...
4)use a citrus based degreaser as previously stated
5)cover the intake with plasic film or a plastic bag and a rubber band, use aluminum foil on the alternator
6)when your done. do not start the engine..blow the water away wit compresses air, the blower side of your vacuum if your lucky enought to have one, a leaf blower, or if not use a rag & wring and repeat untily dry
7)spray dressing on a foam applicator, then apply to rubber hoses and such
8)if your scared bout messing up your car then you can use a two bucket method..fill one bucket with soap and water, another with just water. get different sponges and rags..use the soapy solution ,wipe down, dump in clean water, wring out repeat..it takes longer, but no water spray to worry bout..i do this in the winter when its to cold to do it outside
the end
Old 02-13-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by jerseydetailer
didnt want to post of pic of my car being that its stock and all but here goes

i do it monthly...
1)dont do it with a hot engine...you can crack the block
2)dont need a pressure washer...actually dont use one
3)use different brushes...
4)use a citrus based degreaser as previously stated
5)cover the intake with plasic film or a plastic bag and a rubber band, use aluminum foil on the alternator
6)when your done. do not start the engine..blow the water away wit compresses air, the blower side of your vacuum if your lucky enought to have one, a leaf blower, or if not use a rag & wring and repeat untily dry
7)spray dressing on a foam applicator, then apply to rubber hoses and such
8)if your scared bout messing up your car then you can use a two bucket method..fill one bucket with soap and water, another with just water. get different sponges and rags..use the soapy solution ,wipe down, dump in clean water, wring out repeat..it takes longer, but no water spray to worry bout..i do this in the winter when its to cold to do it outside
the end
.................................................. ..............................
Old 02-13-2006
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
Nice, but why does your header heat shield have an opening?
Old 02-13-2006

that is hole is there because it is a non-vtec engine. i am pretty sure that it would be a DX or an HX that is like that. that is just where the first O2 sensor goes b/c the cat is built-in up high on the exhaust manifold.
Old 02-14-2006
Registered!!

jerseydetailer has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Originally Posted by P.O.S.B.A.S.04
that is hole is there because it is a non-vtec engine. i am pretty sure that it would be a DX or an HX that is like that. that is just where the first O2 sensor goes b/c the cat is built-in up high on the exhaust manifold.

its an 03 lx
Old 02-14-2006
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
I C.
Old 02-14-2006
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jerseydetailer
its an 03 lx
still the same manifold as a dx and i think the hx, but the hx is vtec
Old 02-15-2006
Registered!!

negativecamber is an unknown quantity at this point
good stuff!
Old 02-15-2006
Registered!!

negativecamber is an unknown quantity at this point
where can i get mothers back to black stuff
Old 02-25-2006
Registered!!

Temp is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by negativecamber
where can i get mothers back to black stuff
I got mine at VatoZone

To add to the write-up by jerseydetailer, I do mine the same way except I spray down everything in sight with no-touch tire care and walk away. I don't bother hand wiping the plastic and rubber.

The end result is the same, though. Looks good.