Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Engine bay cleaning...some Q's

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
k-man is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine bay cleaning...some Q's

I've searched on this website, it looks like when I spray the engine bay i should cover all sensors, alternator and distributer, anything else??

where are the sensors and the dist?? on my prelude it was easy to spot the distributer, i just dont know where it is? any sensors or electrical stuff need to be covered? if so, where are they?

thanks! i'll hook up the rep points!
Old 09-17-2005
let the devil out
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
well as long as you don't just soak the engine it you can spray then engine as is but as for filters either cover them with a bag or pull it out. WIth my turbo I normally spray my engine bay down with simple gree or purple stuff and pull the filter loose ( so I can check it at the same time) then spray the whole engine and bay down.
Old 09-18-2005
my vtec brings all the girls to the yard

mrDFWmechanic will become famous soon enough
i know autozone when i worked their they carried a product next to the carb. cleaner and it was called engine brite. you just spray it over the engine and wipe it away it works really really good or just grab some of the armor all wipes and have fun.
Old 09-18-2005
Registered!!

eyegiant is an unknown quantity at this point
do this, go to a local self served car wash.
use the high pressure gun to clean the whole engine bay, but the
best way to do this is letting your car run while spraying it down.
not only will you clean it, you'll also steam clean it.
you can use degresser; "before you spray it down".
Old 09-27-2005
Registered!!

Hypnotized is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by njerry

Is this sarcasim? or you serious? Wouldn't this be a bad thing?
Old 09-27-2005
A03
Registered!!

A03 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have always been afraid to spray down my engine bay, since water finds it's way into anything/everything.

I've found that I can get the whole bay pretty dang clean with lots of rags, a little time and SIMPLE GREEN. As posted above, thats what I like to use in the engine bay. It cleans up everything in my bay pretty good, wipes up easy.. just plain works. As long as you get in there and clean it somewhat regularly, like every 3 good washes or somthing like that.. you should never need to hose it because it won't get THAT nasty.
Old 09-27-2005
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
double post
\/ \/ \/

Last edited by PunkingCivic; 09-27-2005 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-27-2005

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
get steam cleaner

it can be used everywhere

the engine the interior the house!

I would consider it an investment.

Here is a nice one: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=8823

Old 09-27-2005
Registered!!

ojay is on a distinguished road
assuming your stock, you can spray water in your engine bay as long as you hold the sprayer parallel to the stuff inside and don't really concentrate on saturating anything (your engine sees more water than you think). a citrus-based degreaser does wonders and follow up with drying and CD-2
Old 09-27-2005

incase you are wondering what cd2 is:

Old 09-27-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Hypnotized
Is this sarcasim? or you serious? Wouldn't this be a bad thing?
"NO" I DO IT ALL THE TIME, I USE TO DETAIL CARS BEFORE WITH PROFESSIONALS.
Old 09-27-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ojay
assuming your stock, you can spray water in your engine bay as long as you hold the sprayer parallel to the stuff inside and don't really concentrate on saturating anything (your engine sees more water than you think). a citrus-based degreaser does wonders and follow up with drying and CD-2

SEE THERE YOU GO IF IT IS STOCK IT WOULD BE MUCH MORE EASIER TO CLEAN V.S. A MOD ENGINE LIKE HAVING AN INTAKE, MUST COVER THE FILTER UP BEFORE SPRAYING.
Old 09-27-2005
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
"NO" I DO IT ALL THE TIME, I USE TO DETAIL CARS BEFORE WITH PROFESSIONALS.
You can probably get away with that many times, but sooner or later .
They weren't very professional if they did that with other peoples cars.
At minium you can kill the altenator,max the computer!
Old 09-27-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by pon55
IT COULD HAPPEN, BUT THAT'S WHY WE LEFT THE CAR RUNNING WHILE DOING THIS. WITH THE HEAT OF THE ENGINE IT HELPS EVAPERATE THE WATER. ALSO HAVING CAUTION WITH NOT SHOT DIRECTLY ON ANY ELCTRONIC DEVICES.
Old 09-27-2005
Registered!!

Ken2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
i use a degreaser like engine brite and then that CD2 stuff (that **** really works)
Old 10-04-2005
Registered!!

sdstud212001 is an unknown quantity at this point
that spraying down might work in NY but in CA it's illegal as hell, they have signs posted everywhere saying its prohibbited...fines...u know the sort.
Old 10-05-2005
Premium Member

absolut_vodka98 will become famous soon enoughabsolut_vodka98 will become famous soon enough
IT COULD HAPPEN, BUT THAT'S WHY WE LEFT THE CAR RUNNING WHILE DOING THIS. WITH THE HEAT OF THE ENGINE IT HELPS EVAPERATE THE WATER. ALSO HAVING CAUTION WITH NOT SHOT DIRECTLY ON ANY ELCTRONIC DEVICES.

If your using a pressure washer, how could you possible not get water directly into an electronic device? Unless you haven't looked under the hood of a 7th gen, there are sensors and electronic devices everywhere.
Old 10-06-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by absolut_vodka98
If your using a pressure washer, how could you possible not get water directly into an electronic device? Unless you haven't looked under the hood of a 7th gen, there are sensors and electronic devices everywhere.
YES, BUT MOST OF THE ELECTRONIC DEVICES ARE SEALED UP.
Old 10-06-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
YES, BUT MOST OF THE ELECTRONIC DEVICES ARE SEALED UP.
even then, you are applying high pressure to those wires which can tear them up and damage them. think about it, a pressure washer can take paint off a house, some can take paint off a car and they are made to remove set in dirt off your driveway, think about what they will do to the sensors and wiring in a car. that high pressure will bust through that weather sealing and tear up the wiring.
Old 10-07-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
slowwhitecivic will become famous soon enough
yeah thats wut i was thinkin too..i always wanted to clean the engine bay but afraid to because of all the damn electronic and electric wires
Old 10-07-2005
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Originally Posted by slowwhitecivic
yeah thats wut i was thinkin too..i always wanted to clean the engine bay but afraid to because of all the damn electronic and electric wires
Clean it with cleaner and a hose, not a pressure washer. My neighbor washes his like every other week and blowdries it with his leafblower!
Old 10-07-2005
Crack kills... But then again... So do I...

notoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the rough
That's what I do too... But actually not while it's running. It is the first thing I wash though when detailing my car. I cover my battery and filter and then spray on the tire degreaser let it sit for a few minutes and then Hi Pressure spray it... Comes out looking immaculate.
Old 10-07-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by stpyro8
That's what I do too... But actually not while it's running. It is the first thing I wash though when detailing my car. I cover my battery and filter and then spray on the tire degreaser let it sit for a few minutes and then Hi Pressure spray it... Comes out looking immaculate.
Tire degreasers or any degreaser have been know to discolor intakes and strutbars! I usually use a citrius based organic cleaner, works great.
Old 10-07-2005
Crack kills... But then again... So do I...

notoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the rough
Tire degreasers or any degreaser have been know to discolor intakes and strutbars! I usually use a citrius based organic cleaner, works great.
Hmmm.... I don't think I've had any problems yet. Which cleaner do you use? I'd definatly be willing to try something else.
Old 10-08-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by streetglower
even then, you are applying high pressure to those wires which can tear them up and damage them. think about it, a pressure washer can take paint off a house, some can take paint off a car and they are made to remove set in dirt off your driveway, think about what they will do to the sensors and wiring in a car. that high pressure will bust through that weather sealing and tear up the wiring.
YEAH, BUT OFCAUSE YOU NOT GOING TO BLAST DIRECT PRESSURE ON TO ANY WIRES OR ELECTRIC DEVICES, YOUR GOING TO STAND ABOUT 5' FEET AWAY FROM THE ENGINE BAY...THATS THE WAY I DO IT
Old 10-13-2005
Registered!!

Blkbear is an unknown quantity at this point
Clean it with cleaner and a hose, not a pressure washer. My neighbor washes his like every other week and blowdries it with his leafblower!
The leaf blower helps to get the standing water out of places that the water won't drain normally, without the car either moving on an incline or getting removed with a towel. Alot of detailers use some sort of air pressure to blow water from under and around car parts that a towel can't reach, as well as the engine bay. Helps to keep any water that's trapped from getting on the finish after you have just polished or waxed (causing water spotting), and helps in the engine bay to keep dressings from streaking before they dry.
Old 10-13-2005
Registered!!

ManUtd0018 is an unknown quantity at this point
hand job

I do it all by hand with a rag and some 409 spray. I'll unbolt some things one at a time. Sure it takes a while, but you're covering every inch by hand. Dong it this way also helps you notice small things that you wouldn't have noticed by just spraying it with water.
Old 10-13-2005
Registered!!

honda860 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I have been waiting to clean my engine bay Im just really afraid im gonna wreck my 05. Is there a DIY in here that gives picks and everything on what to cover and verified it doesnt F things up. Do it running or not running. I was told do it when the engine runs
Old 10-13-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by honda860
I have been waiting to clean my engine bay Im just really afraid im gonna wreck my 05. Is there a DIY in here that gives picks and everything on what to cover and verified it doesnt F things up. Do it running or not running. I was told do it when the engine runs
YOU, MY FRIEND ARE CORRECT.
Old 10-13-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by honda860
NO, not running!
Simple , if electric is not on = no shorts!

Quick Reply: Engine bay cleaning...some Q's