hard water spots - Honda Civic Forum

Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-29-2005   #1
Registered!!

ironcow is on a distinguished road
hard water spots

whats the best way to rid my hood of these spots...its like they are caked on to the car and now i look like a black leopard driving down the road
ironcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005   #2

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
if they have been on there long enough to etch the paint you will need to use an abrasive product to remove them. Before that you may want to try clay barring it to see if they will come off.
soonercivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005   #3
Registered!!

its been like a week so not that long but it just looks horrible...ill do the 3 step / bar when i get home
Old 07-29-2005   #4

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
yeah that should do it. how fast they etch the paint depends on the hardness (chemicals and acids) of the water. but the clay bar followed by the 3 step should do it.
soonercivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005   #5
Life Begins > 6800rpms
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
wash your car at dusk / night. i live in FL and the calcium in the water is unreal. working at night gives you time to whipe the car down and avoid spotting.
blouisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005   #6
you... get that... thing I sent you?

Evil Betty is an unknown quantity at this point
Give one of those California Water Baldes a try. They are about 20 bucks each and do a great job of getting the water off, especially off the large flat surfaces like the hood and roof. I bet you can always return it to the store if you don't like it. I'm sure they have some sort of a garantee.
Evil Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005   #7
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
ya those are great I've had one for 2 yrs. For spots, try meguiar's clear coat body scrub.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005   #8
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
claybar works. i have the hard water spots that come from the washer nozzles.

after few min of clay barring that area, it eventually came out. i used mothers claybar if it matters.
jttegx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005   #9
Registered!!

yeah thats what the dude the car store said today...mothers claybar
Old 08-14-2005   #10
Registered!!

sanchke is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Lawn Sprinkler Spotting

What is usually in the stuff that they use to water lawns at night? I get up to go to work with a nice clean shiney car the night before and much to my expectancy, I find my car covered in water spots and I am tired of it. I drive an 02 Civic EX and it's driving me bananas!! Help!!!!
sanchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005   #11
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Don't use a razor like I did. left tons of small scratches everywhere. stupid brightglass did that one.

Use no touch auto glass stripper to take EVERYTHING off the glass. Its available at napa auto parts. Then if your car is older, the glass will have alot of microscopic pits in the glass. This makes windshield wipers chatter like crazy I think. The dirt helps them move smoother. I just bought glass filler and water repellent that they use in aircraft. So I'll let you know how that works. It also claims to keep the window cleaner by repelling debris and water spots, and it should fill in the tiny holes and make the glass smooth again after you strip it.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005   #12
Registered!!

kool-aid is an unknown quantity at this point
Clay works allright on the painted surfaces. Use 000 steel wool for the glass. I have also heard of diluted kerosene and water 25:1 will remove them if they are not too old.
kool-aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005   #13
Registered!!

ojay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool-aid
Clay works allright on the painted surfaces. Use 000 steel wool for the glass. I have also heard of diluted kerosene and water 25:1 will remove them if they are not too old.

clay works fine on the glass as well...
ojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005   #14
Bush fu(king party,mother fu(king hand job.

Teh_Sare is a name known to allTeh_Sare is a name known to allTeh_Sare is a name known to allTeh_Sare is a name known to allTeh_Sare is a name known to allTeh_Sare is a name known to allTeh_Sare is a name known to all
clay bar got all my water spots out...and there were tons.
Teh_Sare is offline   Reply With Quote