Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   hard water spots (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/221740-hard-water-spots.html)

ironcow 07-29-2005 11:32 AM

hard water spots

whats the best way to rid my hood of these spots...its like they are caked on to the car and now i look like a black leopard driving down the road :o

soonercivic 07-29-2005 11:42 AM

if they have been on there long enough to etch the paint you will need to use an abrasive product to remove them. Before that you may want to try clay barring it to see if they will come off.

ironcow 07-29-2005 12:36 PM

its been like a week so not that long but it just looks horrible...ill do the 3 step / bar when i get home

soonercivic 07-29-2005 12:52 PM

yeah that should do it. how fast they etch the paint depends on the hardness (chemicals and acids) of the water. but the clay bar followed by the 3 step should do it.

blouisgod 07-29-2005 10:23 PM

wash your car at dusk / night. i live in FL and the calcium in the water is unreal. working at night gives you time to whipe the car down and avoid spotting.

Evil Betty 07-30-2005 01:25 PM

Give one of those California Water Baldes a try. They are about 20 bucks each and do a great job of getting the water off, especially off the large flat surfaces like the hood and roof. I bet you can always return it to the store if you don't like it. I'm sure they have some sort of a garantee.

gearbox 07-30-2005 01:27 PM

ya those are great I've had one for 2 yrs. For spots, try meguiar's clear coat body scrub.

jttegx 07-31-2005 10:17 PM

claybar works. i have the hard water spots that come from the washer nozzles.

after few min of clay barring that area, it eventually came out. i used mothers claybar if it matters.

ironcow 07-31-2005 10:53 PM

yeah thats what the dude the car store said today...mothers claybar

sanchke 08-14-2005 09:34 PM

Lawn Sprinkler Spotting

:mad: :help: What is usually in the stuff that they use to water lawns at night? I get up to go to work with a nice clean shiney car the night before and much to my expectancy, I find my car covered in water spots and I am tired of it. I drive an 02 Civic EX and it's driving me bananas!! Help!!!! :help: :screwy:

gearbox 08-14-2005 10:20 PM

Don't use a razor like I did. left tons of small scratches everywhere. stupid brightglass did that one.

Use no touch auto glass stripper to take EVERYTHING off the glass. Its available at napa auto parts. Then if your car is older, the glass will have alot of microscopic pits in the glass. This makes windshield wipers chatter like crazy I think. The dirt helps them move smoother. I just bought glass filler and water repellent that they use in aircraft. So I'll let you know how that works. It also claims to keep the window cleaner by repelling debris and water spots, and it should fill in the tiny holes and make the glass smooth again after you strip it.

kool-aid 08-15-2005 01:55 AM

Clay works allright on the painted surfaces. Use 000 steel wool for the glass. I have also heard of diluted kerosene and water 25:1 will remove them if they are not too old.

ojay 08-15-2005 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by kool-aid
Clay works allright on the painted surfaces. Use 000 steel wool for the glass. I have also heard of diluted kerosene and water 25:1 will remove them if they are not too old.

clay works fine on the glass as well...

Teh_Sare 08-15-2005 05:39 PM

clay bar got all my water spots out...and there were tons.