Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

ToUCH UP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steven10 is an unknown quantity at this point
ToUCH UP!

ok so i parked at radio shack yesterday! in a rush.. went to far in .. hit the curb... my front bumper is scratched underneath... u cant see it unless u get on ur knees and look at it but i wanted to know wat the best way to touch it up would be?... i have the exact color from HONDA... and i just wanted to know if there was special way to do it to make it better... like sandpaper? or anything like that... and how great would it look?
Old 05-23-2005
Registered!!

kismylx will become famous soon enough
you can use either the touch paint maker or the small bottle of touch up paint i find it that the paint marker works easy for me great for rock chips and small scratches
Old 05-23-2005

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
depending on the size and depth of it you may consider getting a can of color match paint in a spray can. If its pretty small you could just use the marker or touch up brush. But if its big, you can mask off around it, then clean it and shoot a couple layers of paint on it followed by a couple layers of clear. That way you would get a nice uniform look without brush marks. If you do this, do very light coats until it covers, otherwise you will get runs and streaks. A can of paint around here usually costs about 15 bucks but its soooo much easier.
Old 05-23-2005
Registered!!

its not really all that big... so ima prolly use the touch up paint... does this happen to everybody in there lifetime though? parking too close to a curb?... haha just curious... anyways... there is no special sanding or anything that should be done... just clean apply paint.. let it dry... then wax it?...
Old 05-24-2005

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
if its not that big, what you need to do is slowly build up layers of paint. light layer, let it dry, then another until the scratch is filled. Then, what i do is use Meguiars scratchX scratch remover and lightly go over it to even the surfaces. Then let it dry and set for a few hours and you can wax it after that. And yes, everyone probably does it eventually whether they admit it or not.
Old 05-25-2005
New Mod on the Block

Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute
theres no probably. EVERYONE gets it. we all wish that we didnt though.
Old 05-25-2005
Registered!!

thanks a lot guys... whew .. cuz someone rear ended me the other day... hit and run... then freaken when i start driving a lot again.. IM only 16 years old... i accidently hit the curb!... man... good to hear lots of people make that mistake though...
so just wash my car... fill it in... let it dry... use either wet sand paper or that scratch remover to level it down.. and wax it? ... thanks a lot OH quick question... does that scratch remover make the layers of paint go down.. no matter the scratch (paint) size
Old 05-26-2005

yes the scratch remover is abrasive so it will remove either a tiny bit of clear coat or the top of the touch up paint. thats why i use it for touch up, overfill the scratch and then level it out. just remember, it will never be perfect so be careful how much you use. you wont want to use wet sand paper, it will cause marring that you wont be able to get off with out the proper tools and skill. just use the scratch remover.
Old 05-26-2005
Registered!!

o wow good thing u told me that... cuz i was bout to use the sandpaper... whats the sandpaper do to the car? i dont really quite follow wat ur saying bout the wet sand paper and y not to use it....
Old 05-26-2005

well wetsanding is a skill. When you wet sand it leave obvious sanding marks or marring on the surface. Without a rotary buffer they are incredibly hard to get out. And rotary buffers are expensive and unless you have practices on other peices you will make it look worse than it is. For your purpose wetsanding will be too harsh if done by yourself. If you wetsand either makes sure you have experience and skill, or have a pro do it. Rule of thumb with wetsanding, if youve never done it, dont!
Old 05-26-2005
Registered!!

ooo i c i c ... so will this scratch remover do any damage?
or it should work just fine to level it out?
Old 05-26-2005

it will work fine. ive had great results from the meguiars brand scratchX better than any other ive tried. The nice thing about the meguiars products is they use diminishing abrasives. The more you work it eventually all the abrasiveness works its way out so you dont over do it. Use a foam pad instead of terrycloth, the results will be better. Just put some on, work it for a few minutes, wipe off with a microfiber towel for best results (terrycloth will work though), examine your results and repeat the steps if needed. Just a tip, if you have a dark color paint, invest in some quality microfiber towels. You can use them to remove wax and polish and those types of products. They are great on any paint, but especially on dark paint. They minimize swirls, fine scratches, and holograms commonly left by using terrycloth towels. If you got any other questions feel free to post or PM. Hope it goes well, post some before and after pics if you get a chance.
Old 05-27-2005
Registered!!

thanks a lot man.. not till next week though.. no time! haha .. yah ill let u know how it goes man... thanks a lot! by the way do u have an AIM SN? so i can IM u for any further help? or future questions
Old 05-27-2005

aim=isthatcorn email=nwcknights@hotmail.com
Old 06-05-2005
Registered!!

ok i have painted it with the touch up but i havnt put the scratch remover on yet.... it looks like it has like paint strokes on it and its thicker than the original... will the scratch remover bring it down?
Old 06-05-2005
Registered!!

anyone?
Old 06-06-2005

yeah, the scratch remover contains abrasives that will level it out some. Work in a circular motion. Just remember it wont ever be perfect without repainting.