Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

My car smells

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004
Formerly known as Veritas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kable has a spectacular aura aboutKable has a spectacular aura about
Angry My car smells

everytime I open my vents, my car smells like *** and I don't know how to get rid of it....i tried the car fresheners but the smells just too overbearing...i was thinking it's cus I smoke but someone told me that it could be due to mold/mildew growing in my vents??? anyone on here have the same problem? and how do I get rid of it...thanks in advance!
Old 10-11-2004
Civicforums Junkie

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light
change your cabin filters (theres 2 of them)
Old 10-11-2004

thanks mucho, now i gotta go find some for my vdubs
Old 10-11-2004
Its a celebration bitches!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
i had that problem a while ago, but now it just went away?
Old 10-12-2004
Registered!!

bobbyd is an unknown quantity at this point
Some new cabin air filters might work. I would check under your cowl and get any wet leaves or anything that might be under there out. They make a product to spray in your vents but I just used that on two vehicles and it did nothing at all. Find the source of the smell and eliminate it.
Old 10-12-2004

alienmeatsack has a spectacular aura aboutalienmeatsack has a spectacular aura about
Yeah, check the filters. Also, that Febreeze stuff works well on carpets and seats if they are stinking too.

If oyu have access to a um... i think its called a ozone machine or something? it removes the oxygen from the air, removing all smells wiht it. those work nicely, I understand thye are used in apartments when thye have a nasty smell...

Also, maybe if you open the windows and leave it open does that help air it out or does the smell come back when you run the AC/air fan?

Last edited by alienmeatsack; 10-13-2004 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-19-2004
Registered!!

AggressiveAdam will become famous soon enoughAggressiveAdam will become famous soon enough
I smoke a lot of pot, and well my car sometimes has that shall we say musk

all those air freshners are crap, just crap and you have to spray too much of em to get any sort of effect, but then you have the problem of your car smelling like a convience store.

so

get OZIUM, its a medical grade air freshner, they use it in hospitals, you know when people die on a bed and ****.

1 spray is enough to freshen your car, we use 1 spray after we smoke in the car and we've had people come in the car and say they couldn't smell anything funny.

bottle says, spray twice for smoke but never really need to, its also not very heavy on fragrences.

they say on the can its a neutralizer. Your local head shop should have it in stock and in handy sizes too :P

$10 a bottle at THC in toronto

http://therestlessmouse.zoovy.com/product/816

Don't let the added scent fool you, Ozium products are not odor maskers. This is a home version of a hospital product designed to combat airborne bacteria and odors, it has been found to be effective for eliminating smoke and pet odors as well. Our smoke-eating ashtray customers are encouraged to use this hospital grade odor eliminator as well as our carbon filter ashtray for maximum effectiveness. This is a serious product -Please read and follow directions on back. Net .8 oz Our item #816

Last edited by AggressiveAdam; 10-19-2004 at 12:46 AM.
Old 10-19-2004
The Evil Genius

Quijano187 is on a distinguished road
^^^ IM looking for that tommorrow.
Old 10-19-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
Crank your heat all the way up, and run the heater for about 30 min on full blast with your windows open. It will burn the mildew out of your vents. I do this about every 3 months to keep the smell out....
Old 10-19-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah it's from the mildew when you run the AC and then turn off the vent when done driving. It's in the cooling system.
Old 10-19-2004
Registered!!

bobbyd is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Mystic3030
Crank your heat all the way up, and run the heater for about 30 min on full blast with your windows open. It will burn the mildew out of your vents. I do this about every 3 months to keep the smell out....
What if it is coming from befoer the blower?
Old 10-19-2004
es2
bubble party!!!

es2 can only hope to improve
my car smells like ****, and i left my backpack in there for 2 weeks and now it smells like ****, it makes me wanna puke
Old 10-19-2004
Bobaganoosh!

Pharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud of
I was havin that problem too but it was my wash mit in the trunk...sheep skin and whatever..I would go to a hand wash place and clean the car, then ring out the mit and throw it in the trunk....next morning.....*puke*
Old 10-19-2004
es2
bubble party!!!

es2 can only hope to improve
oh i also had a carwash bucket and a cloth that was wet it may be that
Old 10-19-2004
Fuzzy Boy

FuzzBeC00L is an unknown quantity at this point
Have sex in the car a couple time's.
Old 10-19-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Ha lol. I remember another member put some flavor tobacco where the filters are
Old 10-19-2004
Fuzzy Boy

FuzzBeC00L is an unknown quantity at this point
I think we might all know who that is??
Old 10-21-2004

Originally Posted by Mystic3030
WOW..that really worked...I didn't even have to buy the cabin filters..thanks
Old 10-31-2004
Registered!!

Revmaster is an unknown quantity at this point
I used to have a similar problem. Im not very much technical explaining the reason why bad odor is coming from the vent, but I'd just share to you guys a simple tip in preventing it from happening.

- A few meters from your garage, turn off the A/C and let the fan run until you reach your gargage.
- At your garage, keep the car running for a few seconds.

By doing this, the fan blower will dry out all the moisture build up on your A/C tubes and vents.

If you want some DIY deodorizer, you can get a small container fit enough tobe placed under your driver seat, and place some charcoal on it. When covering it, make sure to drill some holes. The charcoal will act as deodorizer and remove all odors in your car. It even helps eliminate FART odor quicker.
Old 10-31-2004
Registered!!

Vinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trusted
I remember when i painted by dash pieces that i found a ton of dust behind my vents. Might wanna try cleaning those out. I just remembered when i painted the dash of my friend's 98 civic there was some nasty *** **** like mold behind his vents. Def check that out.
Old 10-31-2004
Go Team Venture!

againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
garage?

you mean the house that all the crap no one uses lives in?
Old 10-31-2004
Registered!!

Revmaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by againifall
garage?

you mean the house that all the crap no one uses lives in?
Well, I just used that term since here its where we parked our cars.

It may either be a garage, your home driveway....or wherever you park your civic.
Old 10-31-2004
Go Team Venture!

againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
lawn
Old 11-01-2004
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
If you want to completely get rid of the smell, go to autozone, or checker, napa, etc. One of them will carry a product, i forget the name. Ask them for it, tell them you have mildew in your vents and need something to get rid of it. Its like a mini nitrous bottle, with a hose coming off. You spray it into the vents under the hood or something, and it will eat all smoke away. Cigarette is a lot harder than pot to get rid of. Pot goes away on its own, cigarette stays. Thats why I dont smoke cigarettes in my car anymore, only pot. Ozium is a good temporary air freshener to cover something up fast you want to hide. I have used that many times. Go find that product, anybody at the store should be able to find it fast for you. It will work, and it shouldnt come back. Also if you ahve access to a carpet cleaner, you need to get the carpets cleaned and seats to get rid of the cigarette smell, or it wont completely go away. Stale smoke sticks to everything, and will stay. What you need to do to completely get rid of that (should work):

1) get the A/C cleaner from an auto parts store, follow directions completely.

2) Clean carpets/seats with a carpet cleaner, pretty much detail your whole interior, dash, everything, get a toothbrush, try to get all the ash you can out. It will smell sooo much better.
Old 11-01-2004
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
I park mine in my garage, I get to air it out everynight. Love the garage, nobody f***s with my sh**, and it stays hella clean.