Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   My car smells (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/177779-my-car-smells.html)

Kable 10-11-2004 04:36 PM

My car smells

everytime I open my vents, my car smells like ASS and I don't know how to get rid of it....i tried the car fresheners but the smells just too overbearing...i was thinking it's cus I smoke but someone told me that it could be due to mold/mildew growing in my vents??? anyone on here have the same problem? and how do I get rid of it...thanks in advance!

FALKEN 10-11-2004 04:44 PM

change your cabin filters (theres 2 of them)

Kable 10-11-2004 04:56 PM

thanks mucho, now i gotta go find some for my vdubs

HondaLuver 10-11-2004 10:15 PM

i had that problem a while ago, but now it just went away?

bobbyd 10-12-2004 08:44 AM

Some new cabin air filters might work. I would check under your cowl and get any wet leaves or anything that might be under there out. They make a product to spray in your vents but I just used that on two vehicles and it did nothing at all. Find the source of the smell and eliminate it.

alienmeatsack 10-12-2004 10:43 AM

Yeah, check the filters. Also, that Febreeze stuff works well on carpets and seats if they are stinking too.

If oyu have access to a um... i think its called a ozone machine or something? it removes the oxygen from the air, removing all smells wiht it. those work nicely, I understand thye are used in apartments when thye have a nasty smell...

Also, maybe if you open the windows and leave it open does that help air it out or does the smell come back when you run the AC/air fan?

AggressiveAdam 10-19-2004 12:34 AM

I smoke a lot of pot, and well my car sometimes has that shall we say musk

all those air freshners are crap, just crap and you have to spray too much of em to get any sort of effect, but then you have the problem of your car smelling like a convience store.

so

get OZIUM, its a medical grade air freshner, they use it in hospitals, you know when people die on a bed and shit.

1 spray is enough to freshen your car, we use 1 spray after we smoke in the car and we've had people come in the car and say they couldn't smell anything funny.

bottle says, spray twice for smoke but never really need to, its also not very heavy on fragrences.

they say on the can its a neutralizer. Your local head shop should have it in stock and in handy sizes too :P

$10 a bottle at THC in toronto

http://therestlessmouse.zoovy.com/product/816
http://static.zoovy.com/img/therestlessmouse/-/ozium

Don't let the added scent fool you, Ozium products are not odor maskers. This is a home version of a hospital product designed to combat airborne bacteria and odors, it has been found to be effective for eliminating smoke and pet odors as well. Our smoke-eating ashtray customers are encouraged to use this hospital grade odor eliminator as well as our carbon filter ashtray for maximum effectiveness. This is a serious product -Please read and follow directions on back. Net .8 oz Our item #816

Quijano187 10-19-2004 01:03 AM

^^^ IM looking for that tommorrow.

Mystic3030 10-19-2004 01:22 AM

Crank your heat all the way up, and run the heater for about 30 min on full blast with your windows open. It will burn the mildew out of your vents. I do this about every 3 months to keep the smell out....

gearbox 10-19-2004 08:20 AM

Yeah it's from the mildew when you run the AC and then turn off the vent when done driving. It's in the cooling system.

bobbyd 10-19-2004 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mystic3030
Crank your heat all the way up, and run the heater for about 30 min on full blast with your windows open. It will burn the mildew out of your vents. I do this about every 3 months to keep the smell out....

What if it is coming from befoer the blower?

es2 10-19-2004 11:20 AM

my car smells like piss, and i left my backpack in there for 2 weeks and now it smells like piss, it makes me wanna puke

Pharoh 10-19-2004 11:34 AM

I was havin that problem too but it was my wash mit in the trunk...sheep skin and whatever..I would go to a hand wash place and clean the car, then ring out the mit and throw it in the trunk....next morning.....*puke*

es2 10-19-2004 12:10 PM

oh i also had a carwash bucket and a cloth that was wet it may be that

FuzzBeC00L 10-19-2004 08:29 PM

Have sex in the car a couple time's.

gearbox 10-19-2004 08:31 PM

Ha lol. I remember another member put some flavor tobacco where the filters are :)

FuzzBeC00L 10-19-2004 08:36 PM

I think we might all know who that is??

Kable 10-21-2004 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mystic3030

WOW..that really worked...I didn't even have to buy the cabin filters..thanks :rockon:

Revmaster 10-31-2004 08:25 AM

I used to have a similar problem. Im not very much technical explaining the reason why bad odor is coming from the vent, but I'd just share to you guys a simple tip in preventing it from happening.

- A few meters from your garage, turn off the A/C and let the fan run until you reach your gargage.
- At your garage, keep the car running for a few seconds.

By doing this, the fan blower will dry out all the moisture build up on your A/C tubes and vents.

If you want some DIY deodorizer, you can get a small container fit enough tobe placed under your driver seat, and place some charcoal on it. When covering it, make sure to drill some holes. The charcoal will act as deodorizer and remove all odors in your car. It even helps eliminate FART odor quicker. :D

Vinnie 10-31-2004 07:10 PM

I remember when i painted by dash pieces that i found a ton of dust behind my vents. Might wanna try cleaning those out. I just remembered when i painted the dash of my friend's 98 civic there was some nasty ass shit like mold behind his vents. Def check that out.

againifall 10-31-2004 07:21 PM

garage?

you mean the house that all the crap no one uses lives in?

Revmaster 10-31-2004 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by againifall
garage?

you mean the house that all the crap no one uses lives in?

Well, I just used that term since here its where we parked our cars. :D

It may either be a garage, your home driveway....or wherever you park your civic. :D

againifall 10-31-2004 09:30 PM

lawn :(

2K1Civic17"Gabe 11-01-2004 01:51 PM

If you want to completely get rid of the smell, go to autozone, or checker, napa, etc. One of them will carry a product, i forget the name. Ask them for it, tell them you have mildew in your vents and need something to get rid of it. Its like a mini nitrous bottle, with a hose coming off. You spray it into the vents under the hood or something, and it will eat all smoke away. Cigarette is a lot harder than pot to get rid of. Pot goes away on its own, cigarette stays. Thats why I dont smoke cigarettes in my car anymore, only pot. Ozium is a good temporary air freshener to cover something up fast you want to hide. I have used that many times. Go find that product, anybody at the store should be able to find it fast for you. It will work, and it shouldnt come back. Also if you ahve access to a carpet cleaner, you need to get the carpets cleaned and seats to get rid of the cigarette smell, or it wont completely go away. Stale smoke sticks to everything, and will stay. What you need to do to completely get rid of that (should work):

1) get the A/C cleaner from an auto parts store, follow directions completely.

2) Clean carpets/seats with a carpet cleaner, pretty much detail your whole interior, dash, everything, get a toothbrush, try to get all the ash you can out. It will smell sooo much better.

2K1Civic17"Gabe 11-01-2004 01:53 PM

I park mine in my garage, I get to air it out everynight. Love the garage, nobody f***s with my sh**, and it stays hella clean.