SOHC D17Ax non-VTEC - VTEC Engine Swaps Post information/questions about non-VTEC VTEC D-series engines here.

The ultimate DX/LX vs EX header/exhaust DIY and FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008
the best kind of lovin is from the oven!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ProjectMayhemR will become famous soon enough
Re: The ultimate DX/LX header/exhaust FAQ

^ agreed i've waited over a month for a part. Chill out your part will get there when it gets there. They aren't gonna give you the rusty trombone treatment just because you feel it should be there sooner.
Old 10-20-2008
Registered!!

amishman22 is on a distinguished road

well when they say priority mail i'd expect within a week ya know. im just ready to get this exhaust put on is all.
Old 10-20-2008
Registered!!

ChemicalBoom is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, well all my parts are in...

EX Header

Apexi World Sport Cat-Back system

Random Technologies High-Flow Catalytic Converter

Caspers Electronics o2 Sensor Extensions

I'll be installing tomorrow, and If all goes well, I will write a little DIY w/ pics
Old 10-20-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

^ I'm always down for a DIY, but I really dont think one is needed with the original post of this thread, all the info is in here- am I missing anything?
Old 10-21-2008
Registered!!

colourwolf will become famous soon enough

^^ you are missng pics....lol
Old 10-21-2008
Registered!!

not really, cause the original post tells you to take it to a shop and let them have it. what pics could you possibly need?
Old 10-21-2008
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

You dont need to take it to a shop, it can be done at home, as I did it. Really all you have to do it unbolt the header, and slide the exhaust off of the rubber donut hangers, and put the new one back in its place. Putting your new exhaust together is super obvious- muffler is in the back, long pipe in the middle, header up front. You need to bolt them together with supplied bolts. *rolls eyes* whatevers tho. If you read through the FAQ all the way, you will know exactly how to do this swap.

BTW, I do have some pictures of my car on jack stands, my engine bay with no header and comparison photos of the two exhaust systems. Are these needed?
Old 10-21-2008
Registered!!

true. but i dont just have a welder sitting at home that i can use to put my cat together. and since im havin someone do that for me i might as well have em put it on too.
Old 10-21-2008
Premium Member

Oh, I guess if you do it that route then yeah you'd have to take it to a shop.

Or you could pick up a race header or test pipe, both eliminate the cat.
Old 10-21-2008
Registered!!

Triz, how did you get the bolts off of the lower cat/header brace? the o2 sensor there is a b&%$@ too, i cant seem to fit any tools there
Old 10-21-2008
Premium Member

Header brace? Which part are you talking about exactly? The part after the cat that connects to the first straight pipe just near the oil pan.. the spring loaded bolts?

Grab a can of some PBblaster- let it sit for an hour or overnight- drench your problem with it. It will loosen up whatever is tight and let you take it apart.
Old 10-21-2008

chemical boom. Can you not find a socket to fit the bolts? It probably needs the rust knocked of. Or can you not fit any tools into that area? Cutting the pipe is a really easy way to fix that.
As for the o2 sensor try a wrench or vice grips.
When installing your new exhaust apply some anti seize to the bolts just in case you need to remove the exhaust for any future reason such as selling it or removing your oil pan etc...
Old 10-21-2008
Registered!!

there is a bolt that is very close to the second o2 sensor, and i can only reach it with pliers, it's a 15mm bolt, but no wrench will fit into the spot. I guess i will just trust the PB blaster like i did with the spring bolts yesterday. That stuff works wonders, just takes time.... I will post a picture of the problem if i cant get it tomorrow, thanks guys.
Old 10-22-2008
Registered!!

Well, no luck and its getting worse

The nut all the way to the right is not coming out, it is also now stripped.

The bolt and oxygen sensor below the converter are, from the way i see it impossible to get to with any tool. The converter is in the way of the bolt and vice-versa. The only thing i can get in there is a pair of pliers, which just strips things...

Unless I am missing something, i am stuck...

HELP lol
Old 10-22-2008
Registered!!

Gumdrop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ChemicalBoom
Ok, well all my parts are in...

EX Header

Apexi World Sport Cat-Back system

Random Technologies High-Flow Catalytic Converter

Caspers Electronics o2 Sensor Extensions

I'll be installing tomorrow, and If all goes well, I will write a little DIY w/ pics
i was thinking about doing this swap, about how much did you pay precisely? i figure around 500-700 dollars (ish)

i also have a question, i have an lx, if i were to buy OBX Headers that are made for the LX
like these for instance: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-R...QQcmdZViewItem

would i have to then buy a cat conv. also and put that up in my piping? but since they are made for the LX/DX would that mean they come with con converter in the manifold like my stock headers?
Old 10-22-2008
Registered!!

It cost me about $900

As for your header, yes you will need a catalytic converter welded into the downpipe at some point(unless you just want a test pipe which is not street legal), because unless you get it from honda, your header will not include one.

I got the pre-made downpipe/cat combo which is why my setup was pricey, but you can buy a converter and pipe and get it made at a local shop for much less.
Old 10-22-2008
Premium Member

Well, no luck and its getting worse

The nut all the way to the right is not coming out, it is also now stripped.

The bolt and oxygen sensor below the converter are, from the way i see it impossible to get to with any tool. The converter is in the way of the bolt and vice-versa. The only thing i can get in there is a pair of pliers, which just strips things...

Unless I am missing something, i am stuck...

HELP lol
As for your first problem, you need a extention for your socket. A lot of the header nuts are really hard to get off because of all the heating and cooling that goes on- they eventually eventually end up getting really hot and almost fusing themselves to the stud. When you have your extender and are ready to get the nut off, tap the end of the ratchet with a hammer instead of torquing it loose by hand, you'll split the socket if you use enough force.

For the second problem, dont worry about removing the O2 sensor from the cat/exhaust yet, you can do that once its off your car. For now, just unclip the gray sensor connector. To get that other bolt off, I'm having a hard time visualizing exactly where it is... It looks like its connected to a bracket- can you remove the bracket? From the angle you took a picture from, you should be able to use an open ended wrench.
Old 10-22-2008
Registered!!

Gumdrop is an unknown quantity at this point

It cost me about $900

As for your header, yes you will need a catalytic converter welded into the downpipe at some point(unless you just want a test pipe which is not street legal), because unless you get it from honda, your header will not include one.

I got the pre-made downpipe/cat combo which is why my setup was pricey, but you can buy a converter and pipe and get it made at a local shop for much less.
okay thanks, when the time comes (hopefully soon) im definitely buying some OBX or Megan racing headers and then put my cat w/pipin on it
Old 10-23-2008
Premium Member

Its headeR, not headers- we only have one manifold on our cars.
Old 10-23-2008
Registered!!

the header bolt is stripped....i did use an extender in the first place the 1st 2 were cake to get off.
Old 10-23-2008
Registered!!

very true triz.
Old 10-23-2008
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

It cost me about $900

I don't get it, why would you need a SECOND cat integrated with the down pipe? You've already got a random tech cat under the car with sensors attached to it (if i'm not mistaken). I thought one of the main advantages is that you can eliminate the stock cast iron "header-cat" for good.
Old 10-23-2008
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by amishman22
very true triz.
Yes, words of wisdom. -_-
Old 10-23-2008
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Cleft_Asunder
I don't get it, why would you need a SECOND cat integrated with the down pipe? You've already got a random tech cat under the car with sensors attached to it (if i'm not mistaken). I thought one of the main advantages is that you can eliminate the stock cast iron "header-cat" for good.
I think he was referring to getting an EX header from honda, and not the dx/lx header. The ex header has no cat in it, the lx does. If you replace the dx/lx header with an ex one, you wont have a cat in it and will need to have the cat in your downpipe, which is exactly what the random tech hi flow cat/downpipe is.
Old 10-23-2008
Registered!!

^^^ Hit the nail on the head triz
Old 10-26-2008
Registered!!

megawombat is an unknown quantity at this point

I recently purchased an '01 civic LX. Over-all the car is in pretty good shape and runs well but it has some Autozone looking fart-can on it, which I would like to replace with something nicer. I do not ever plan on putting a turbo kit on and I do not drive like an a$$hole so I want to retain enough back-pressure to not loose low rpm power. After reading this post I decided that a 2" cat-back exhaust pipe is the way to go. Can I get some recommendations on the best brands of cat-back exhausts for this setup and should I even bother with the LX-EX swap with this in mind? Additionally am I correct in thinking that replacing the stock manifold/header is a waste of time?
Old 10-26-2008

custom mandrel bent piping i believe is the only way to get exactly 2" piping. The stock lx/dx manifold is pretty restrictive. but doing an ex manifold with a test pipe or a high-flow cat would free things up a bit. You have to weigh the benefit vs the price of the mod. Its all about is it worth it to you? So asking if it's a waste of time is just gonna get you others opinions when really u need to ask yourself that question. You have the info^ in this thread now make a decision.
Old 10-26-2008
Registered!!

megawombat is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, maybe I didn't word that correctly. By "waste of time" I meant; little or no increase in performance because I do NOT ever plan on putting a turbo kit on my car.
Old 10-26-2008

well with this car, unless you do something serious, you're not going to see anything major. You might pick up 3 or 4hp total with exhaust, header, and test pipe.
Old 10-26-2008
Registered!!

Well, I finally finished. Sounds good, but the way the Random Tech downpipe bolts onto the header leaves leaks....I guess i'll hafta get it welded. And there is a lot of rattling from the undercarraige. But im happy it's done

Quick Reply: The ultimate DX/LX vs EX header/exhaust DIY and FAQ