SOHC D17Ax non-VTEC - VTEC Engine Swaps Post information/questions about non-VTEC VTEC D-series engines here.

The ultimate DX/LX vs EX header/exhaust DIY and FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007
Technical Assistant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The ultimate DX/LX header/exhaust FAQ

by the way the link doesnt work for the o2 extenders...i need my wires extendedd cause im doing a swap and need to know if i can splice and extend or if i have to get aftermarket extenders
Old 11-28-2007
Registered!!

Lord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of light

just splice the wires...or cut them and solder on a longer length of wire between the two ends. It works well for me.
Old 11-29-2007
Technical Assistant

ultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond repute

TRIZ here is defouler info

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...simulator.html

not done by me
Old 12-26-2007
Registered!!

briand17a2 has a spectacular aura aboutbriand17a2 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by speedfoos
Easiest way to do this, like Triz said, is buy an EX header and catback exhaust.

Then go to Summit Racing and buy 2-1/4" inlet/outlet Magnaflow hi-flow cat. It's a real cat (not a test pipe), is OBD-2A compliant and costs $70. While you're there, buy a 4' length of 2-1/4" pipe ($10-12) and a 2-1/4" formed flange for $5 (P/N: WLK-31885) .

We're at $85 plus shipping right now.

Then head over to Mandrel Bending Solutions Ebay store (Click this), buy these items:
1 piece of 2-1/4" U-bend pipe - $12
1 three-bolt 2-14" flange - $4.25
1 two-bolt and 1 three-bolt gasket - $6 ($3/each)
1 oxygen sensor bung for your post cat sensor -$4
1 L-shaped hanger - $1.76

That's $33 plus shipping from Mandrel Bend Solutions. The whole new, truly 2-1/4" downpipe and real high-flow cat has just cost you $120 plus shipping for the parts. You will reuse those spring bolts already on your car.

Now take your new EX header, catback system, and box of exhaust parts to the nearest non-chain muffler shop. Point to the box of parts and the car and say, "I want all this stuff on my car, and I want all the stuff that's currently on my car put in these boxes. I'll be back in two hours, here's $150."

Go stuff some food down your gullet, have a beer, and then come back to your brand new, **** sounding exhaust.

I'll get your pics in a second Triz. I'm pissed off at the car and don't feel like going outside right now.
Verrry nizzze! Props to foos for the exhaust system list & mandrel bender vender. Didnt see this till today, bad ***.

FYI, if no one else has tried fitting a "D16" turbo header to their D17 exhaust port, DONT. For the 2 headers...the bottom three fasteners are in the same place, but the D16 header takes 4 upper fasteners...the D17 only has 2 up top, and the D17 studs go exactly in between the inboard/outboard fasteners on a D16 header. Sigh, i suppose this is why you look at what your buying before trusting Mr. Ebay partseller's helpful application info...

FYI #2...My stock EX header had a bunch of weld slag and other whatnot immediately downstream of the flange. I ground it out, polished as much of each primary as I could, flushed with carb cleaner, compressed air, and reinstalled it. Made zero difference .

So now I've got two minor worries.
1) Less metal means less strength. Been driving like this for a month now, no cracked stock header, good times.
2) After grinding away at my stock manifold, I read on pg 119 of Corky Bell's Maximum Boost that "Reversal of the exhaust gas flow back into the combustion chamber during valve overlap is called reversion. Creating an aerodynamic barrier that reduces the reverse flow yet does not impede outward-flowing gases can pay dividends in performance."

If that weld bead i decided to grind out was supposed to be an "anti-reversion orifice", its now effectively removed. I haven't really felt any decrease in power, but prior to this pointless mod, i was putting 98.1whp to the ground...dont know if I would notice a small percentage change anyway.

Summary: D16 header DOES NOT FIT D17 w/o modification the top of flange...cost of modification (welding, grinding, then decking the surface) probably justifies buying the more expensive, properly fitting D17 manifold. D16 header fit tested. Fail = very yes.

PS, Herr Bell's book on turbocharging ist die Scheiße on der Engineering tip, yo.
Old 12-26-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Und jetzt du hast die lichter sehen!
Old 01-11-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Bump for update: defouler info added.
Old 01-11-2008
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

u go girl!!!

seriously tho, its good information, people need to search more!!! Thanks Triz
Old 01-11-2008
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

^ Thanks, no problem man.

Any additional information anyone wants added, let me know, I'm sure I forgot something.
Old 01-11-2008
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

someone should make bent o2 simulators, since sometimes the sensor doesnt clear the block, its what im running with my kamikaze
Old 01-11-2008
Premium Member

There are bent O2 simulators out.
Old 01-11-2008
Banned

a bent non-fouler, i got one from a member here, i could get u a pic if u wanted, it was really good quality
Old 01-12-2008
Premium Member

Write something on the difference between non foulders / defoulers and 02 simulators for me.
Old 01-28-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Just as a little FYI. Three-inch exhaust tubing will fit on a Honda Civic.
Old 09-08-2008
the best kind of lovin is from the oven!

ProjectMayhemR will become famous soon enough

This might be a stupid question but here it goes. The flange on the megan header has smaller holes than their resonator pipe. How do i bolt them together? Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 09-08-2008
Premium Member

Do the holes match up? If so, just use bolts that fit in the smaller holes and yeah, they will be a little lose in the bigger holes, but if they match up then everyhting should be all good.
Old 09-08-2008

they match up, the bolts that came with the res pipe are are quite a bit larger. I might just drill them out. I'm curious because i saw a pic of another megan header with the same small holes.
Old 09-21-2008
Registered!!

amishman22 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by speedfoos
Easiest way to do this, like Triz said, is buy an EX header and catback exhaust.

Then go to Summit Racing and buy 2-1/4" inlet/outlet Magnaflow hi-flow cat. It's a real cat (not a test pipe), is OBD-2A compliant and costs $70. While you're there, buy a 4' length of 2-1/4" pipe ($10-12) and a 2-1/4" formed flange for $5 (P/N: WLK-31885) .

We're at $85 plus shipping right now.

Then head over to Mandrel Bending Solutions Ebay store (Click this), buy these items:
1 piece of 2-1/4" U-bend pipe - $12
1 three-bolt 2-14" flange - $4.25
1 two-bolt and 1 three-bolt gasket - $6 ($3/each)
1 oxygen sensor bung for your post cat sensor -$4
1 L-shaped hanger - $1.76

That's $33 plus shipping from Mandrel Bend Solutions. The whole new, truly 2-1/4" downpipe and real high-flow cat has just cost you $120 plus shipping for the parts. You will reuse those spring bolts already on your car.

Now take your new EX header, catback system, and box of exhaust parts to the nearest non-chain muffler shop. Point to the box of parts and the car and say, "I want all this stuff on my car, and I want all the stuff that's currently on my car put in these boxes. I'll be back in two hours, here's $150."

Go stuff some food down your gullet, have a beer, and then come back to your brand new, **** sounding exhaust.

I'll get your pics in a second Triz. I'm pissed off at the car and don't feel like going outside right now.
thanks a lot man. im gonna be getting a skunk2 catback but i was just wondering what you think the best headers are for their price.
Old 09-21-2008
Premium Member

^ stock EX unless your looking for the best aftermarket header. Then I would say DC sports race header- continently proven to yield power gains.
Old 09-21-2008
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

Does anyone have a used D16Y7 header? E-mail me at cleft_asunder@yahoo.com.
Old 09-21-2008
Registered!!

yeah i heard dc was good. i just wanted to make sure they were worth the price before i bought them. thanks.
Old 09-24-2008
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Cleft_Asunder
Does anyone have a used D16Y7 header? E-mail me at cleft_asunder@yahoo.com.
The forsale section would be the place to check out. Usually craigslist comes through with parts like that.
Old 09-26-2008
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TRIZ
The forsale section would be the place to check out. Usually craigslist comes through with parts like that.
I just did, thanks.
Old 09-28-2008
Registered!!

Does any of this info apply to the 6th gen civics?
Old 09-28-2008

this thread refers to 7thgen civics
Old 09-28-2008
Premium Member

Yeah I dont know anything about 6th gen exhausts. I"m pretty sure if I could look at an lx and an ex engine bay I could tell you whats up. Most of the info still holds, just the parts are different.
Old 09-28-2008
Registered!!

ChemicalBoom is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, i have a 2001 LX Automatic sedan. Will this setup work for me? do they make cat back exhaust systems for my vehicle?
Old 09-29-2008

Yes they make catback exhausts for lx/dx models, or you can use the aforementioned lx to ex exhaust swap, both will work.
Old 09-30-2008
Registered!!

has anyone else done this swap besides speedfoos? i just bought dc headers for an ex and im in the process of getting a skunk2 cat-back but just wanted to make sure before i went through with all of it.
Old 10-01-2008
Registered!!

i also wanted to make sure that the piping for the 4dr is the same as the 2dr concerning the cat converter since the original was done on a 2dr and im doing mine on a 4 dr.
Old 10-01-2008
Premium Member

^same thing between the two cars- aftermarket will fit.

Quick Reply: The ultimate DX/LX vs EX header/exhaust DIY and FAQ