HELP!! Water leaking from steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chucky2141 is an unknown quantity at this point
HELP!! Water leaking from steering wheel

Originally Posted by Ms Butterfly
Every time it rains, water would leak from the bottom of my steering wheel and also the left side where the fuse is. I called Speedy Auto Glass and they told me that it does not sound like a leak from the windshield bu might be the body seam. i checked under the hood and did not see anything abnormal.
Does anyone know where the water would be coming from instead??
Did you ever find the solution to this? I am having the same leak issue.

Last edited by ezone; 05-06-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-07-2019
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light
Re: HELP!! Water leaking from steering wheel

No sunroof right?
I had a Subaru that leaked from the base of the dash on the driver's side and the bottom of the steering wheel too. Every turn in rainy weather, a dribble of water on my legs ugh. Turns out it was leaking behind the windshield at the A-pillar. I removed the windshield trim and you could see the rust and corrosion causing a gap for water to enter and run down the inside to the base of the dash on the driver's side.
To check for water leaks, have a helper start low with a garden hose on the car while you are inside looking for when the water starts. Starting low then to the roof slowly to locate where water is entering.
Another area is the roof rail run channels on each side of the roof. Sometimes they can let water in if they are rusted under the trim pieces.
You could apply urethane liberally around the windshield trim and body seams under the hood and cowling but would just be a bandaid solution.
Good luck - these and electrical gremlins are nasty.
Old 05-07-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chucky2141 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NDNV
No sunroof right?
I had a Subaru that leaked from the base of the dash on the driver's side and the bottom of the steering wheel too. Every turn in rainy weather, a dribble of water on my legs ugh. Turns out it was leaking behind the windshield at the A-pillar. I removed the windshield trim and you could see the rust and corrosion causing a gap for water to enter and run down the inside to the base of the dash on the driver's side.
To check for water leaks, have a helper start low with a garden hose on the car while you are inside looking for when the water starts. Starting low then to the roof slowly to locate where water is entering.
Another area is the roof rail run channels on each side of the roof. Sometimes they can let water in if they are rusted under the trim pieces.
You could apply urethane liberally around the windshield trim and body seams under the hood and cowling but would just be a bandaid solution.
Good luck - these and electrical gremlins are nasty.
Thank you. The A piller sounds about right. I removed the paneling to the left of the pedals and I could see some water dripping down the side so I will do what you said and start with the garden hose on the windshield. If no water is coming in I will than try to roof of the car. Thanks for the advice! BTW what a pain to get this cowl cover off. I just might bring to a body shop, throw the guy $20 and ask them to take it off for me. The clips are impossible!
Old 05-08-2019
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Let us know if you find the source of the leak as it will help others.