Safety/Security Items - SRS, Keys, Immobilizer, airbags, ABS Post your safety, security questions here! Airbags, Keys (immobilizer)

parts shortage-long wait time in repair shop [solved]

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2023
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jhudson7583 is an unknown quantity at this point
parts shortage-long wait time in repair shop [solved]

on may 18, 2023, i was involved in accident (not my fault). my vehicle is a 2018 nissan rogue. around 6k in damage (parts and labor). its been sitting at repair shop ever since with no eta on parts..nationwide backorder on some of the parts.
my insurance only pays for 30 days of rental, so like thousands of other people, i had to purchase a beater car (2003 civic) to get me around until i get my nissan back.
which leads to another issue. my civic has airbag recall and my local dealer is having a hard time finding the parts, also getting my timing belt replaced as it was due anyway.
never in my life have i seen parts so hard to get. this is insane.
Old 08-01-2023
Super Moderator

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,322 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
re: parts shortage-long wait time in repair shop [solved]

It has gotten better, but it still isn't back to the way things were before COVID. Hopefully you don't start having head gasket issues on your Civic
Old 08-01-2023
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

the wide range airbag recall ate up all the inventory and manufacturer bankrupted, so...
Old 08-01-2023
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
the wide range airbag recall ate up all the inventory and manufacturer bankrupted, so...
oh lort, just what i thought. i may never be able to get it fixed. who knows. i am hopeful that they can get the timing belt and water pump.
aside from these issues, ive been able to get basic things, plugs/wires/brakes/rotors and a battery. so im doing very well so far.
Old 08-01-2023
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
It has gotten better, but it still isn't back to the way things were before COVID. Hopefully you don't start having head gasket issues on your Civic
that would just be icing on the cake of this entire situation. lol!
Old 08-01-2023
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jhudson7583
oh lort, just what i thought. i may never be able to get it fixed. who knows. i am hopeful that they can get the timing belt and water pump.
aside from these issues, ive been able to get basic things, plugs/wires/brakes/rotors and a battery. so im doing very well so far.
just don't crash
although there were a few cases that it did deploy with crashes...
I drove years before I got mine done, think about the hundreds of thousands of those in the streets, and the number that actually got the problem.
Old 08-01-2023
Registered!!

just don't crash
although there were a few cases that it did deploy with crashes...
I drove years before I got mine done, think about the hundreds of thousands of those in the streets, and the number that actually got the problem.
your correct lots of these cars are still on the road. according to the vin search, this recall was issued in 2019, and the carfax told me it had a recall on the airbag.
i rarely have passenger anyway, and driver side has been fixed. just waiting on timing belt and water pump.. then may have to do engine mounts. but not 100 percent sure yet. 2 shops have told me that they are ok.. it's either that or something in the suspension that im still investigating. but to be fair, it's a 2003, with 107k miles. so it's got alot of life left in it... barring anything crazy that is.. lol.
Old 08-01-2023
PITA Admin
Administrator

107k miles 2003?!?
It's still baby!

PS: these cars are famous for blown headgaskets. It happens around 100k miles...

if timing belts and water pump... it's half way to gasket change...

To be sure have them use the test in the video on the first post here:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...reference.html
Old 08-02-2023
Super Moderator

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,322 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Try an aftermarket brand for the timing belt kit. Look on RockAuto under the timing belt, water pump & component section. I have used Aisin in the past with no issues. I think Gates is also good.
Old 08-02-2023
Registered!!

107k miles 2003?!?
It's still baby!

PS: these cars are famous for blown headgaskets. It happens around 100k miles...

if timing belts and water pump... it's half way to gasket change...

To be sure have them use the test in the video on the first post here:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...reference.html
yep, still a baby. one of the reasons i bought it. just really using it as spare/2nd vehicle due to my nissan rogue being in the shop until.. who only knows when. really hoping i get it back very soon, but i'm not getting to excited, been sitting since may 18th waiting on parts.
Old 08-24-2023
Registered!!

just quick update, dealership got the part in and fixed the airbag recall. i had them do the timing belt and water pump as well. no way could i DIY that, and i had it up there for the recall anyway. took a while (4 hours total for everything) the timing belt and water pump change was $875.00 at the dealer. i knew it was going to be pricy, and to their credit they told me Upfront at the time i called them about the high labor cost.
​​​​​​ my civic seems more responsive now. runs great. keeping it as 2nd vehicle. finally got my nissan rogue out of body shop last week.
Old 08-24-2023
PITA Admin
Administrator

?!? 4 hours, they worked fast

Edit:
they did not do the headgasket?!? It's about time at 100k miles... they tend to blow out at that mileage...

Keep an eye on the overflow coolant reservoir, if it starts filling up, it's the headgasket
Some lasted for 200+ k miles, so...
Old 08-24-2023
Registered!!

Smile Re: parts shortage-long wait time in repair shop [solved]

?!? 4 hours, they worked fast

Edit:
they did not do the headgasket?!? It's about time at 100k miles... they tend to blow out at that mileage...

Keep an eye on the overflow coolant reservoir, if it starts filling up, it's the headgasket
Some lasted for 200+ k miles, so...
ill keep eye on headgasket.. no i didn't have them do it, they did waterpump/timing belt/serpentine belt. yes, i was suprised they could do it in 4 hours. rural area here, 50 miles away to the dealer. it drove fine all the way home. no issues. i was thinking the same thing...i brought it in at 1pm.. thinking i would get a service loaner and go back today and get it, but they were able to do it.
i looked up video on it, theres no way i would ever attempt to DIY a timing belt. LOL