Safety/Security Items - SRS, Keys, Immobilizer, airbags, ABS Post your safety, security questions here! Airbags, Keys (immobilizer)

New to Civic - new to forum! Hello All

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rwebb616 is an unknown quantity at this point
New to Civic - new to forum! Hello All

Hi everyone - first post and new Civic owner. I just purchased a 2004 Civic LX used as an extra car and as a car for my 16yo son to drive when he gets his license. So far I like it.. very cool little car.

I'm not familiar with all the generations etc as listed in the forums so maybe someone can explain that to me or I can go research on Google too... but anyhoo... what I need to ask is this:

I just bought the car today and the keychain had a remote on it and the battery was dead. Went to the store and grabbed a new battery and now I have the little red light when I push lock / unlock but nothing happens. I have tried entering programming mode multiple times using the key on / push button key off sequence 4 times as described. What I'm wondering is if I could have been fooled here by a dead cheap remote into thinking that my car has keyless (because I read that the lx model did not?) or if the remote is just dead and I need to buy a new remote. I also appear to only have the valet key since I cannot lock/unlock the trunk/gas lever with the key that I have.

How can I tell for sure before I go out spending money on a remote? If I don't end up having it then I'll probably throw a cheap car starter in it so I can get keyless entry that way.

Thanks and looking forward to joining the community!
Rich
Old 08-24-2019
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: New to Civic - new to forum! Hello All

Welcome to the forum.

Does the fob have a Honda emblem on it? The Lx did not have keyless entry but may have been factory installed by the dealer. An aftermarket kit most likely is hidden under the steering column. The valet key is grey and yes if you can't unlock those things then it is the valet key.
Old 08-24-2019
Registered!!

Yes, the remote is a factory Honda remote from what I can tell - it says Honda on it.
It looks like this

Not sure why the image was so big...

Thanks
Rich
Old 08-25-2019
Registered!!

Also, my key is black and it works in the ignition, doors and trunk locks but not the lock by the seat. I haven't tried it on the lock on the deck lid yet.
Rich
Old 08-25-2019
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,159 Likes on 807 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GolNat
Welcome to the forum.

Does the fob have a Honda emblem on it? The Lx did not have keyless entry but may have been factory installed by the dealer. An aftermarket kit most likely is hidden under the steering column. The valet key is grey and yes if you can't unlock those things then it is the valet key.
Turns out 04+ LX had keyless.

Installing Keyless Entry Harness '04 LX
Old 08-25-2019
Registered!!

Interesting... I'll have to check for the module. One of the posts in that thread referred to a module forward of the power socket in the center console. Pretty quick to pop that off so maybe I'll take a look.

It's odd that it won't recognize a factory remote presumably the one that went with the car but maybe the remote is toast.

Rich
Old 08-29-2019
Registered!!

I ended up ordering a remote through amazon for like $13-$14 or something and that worked. Must be the original remote was toast even though the light was coming on when pressed.

Rich
Old 08-29-2019
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,159 Likes on 807 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Nice! Could've had power but the transmitting circuit prolly fubar'd. Nice to see it was a cheap and easy fix for you