Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Keyless buttons intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Keyless buttons intermittent

My keyless buttons are getting worse about sometimes taking several presses to operate, both lock and unlock (the led is not coming on until it finally does work)

If I change out the 72147-SNA-A01 "keyless module assy" would this also affect immobilizer as well ??

Thanks,
Old 05-07-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Keyless buttons intermittent

Try changing the battery or taking your key fob apart and cleaning the contacts first?
Old 05-07-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Craig, yours is a 10?

Take a key apart. Find the transponder (RFID) chip. Gray rectangle 17mmx3mm.

One type is embedded in the head of the key outside of the transmitter, next to the shaft of the key.

The newer type has the transponder bar soldered onto the remote circuit board, plainly visible next to the battery area once you take the back off to see the battery

===============================================

Initial SWAG was this:
Without actually having one in front of me to look, I'm gonna say it must be programmed by the HDS for the immobilizer, and the transmitter is automatically registered at the same time during the process.

You know how to program transmitters on older cars, right? Key on, push a button, repeat until locks cycle etc.... Try that with your car. If it will enter the programming mode manually, that should answer your question. I'm pretty sure it won't enter that mode.
Old 05-07-2013

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^^^ Ahh, I have the one on the pcb.
Old 05-07-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Needs an HDS to program, or maybe a locksmith that has the ability to program Hondas Immobi keys. Either way, it is not a DIY.

(Dealer is the only game in my town.)
Old 05-07-2013

Thanks for the info,
The switches are tact style and likely sealed. May try a new battery and hope it improves.

And, I have my 2nd key if it gets too severe.
Old 05-07-2013

Take the board out of the rubber boot. See what you can do?
Old 05-07-2013

I had it apart and did a little cleaning. Don't have any good contact cleaner these days, the switches look pretty tightly sealed...and I DO NOT want to mess up my immobilizer.
Old 09-29-2013

The verdict is in........ The CR1616 had dropped from 3V to 1.1V, Duh.

Got to the point where I had to press several times and decided to swap batts with my other remote key and bingo.

Thanks
Old 04-14-2014

My original key has been retired. Kept consuming batts.

Had a new no fob (and no transponder either) blank key cut for my 2nd set to get into trunk, more usable and thinner than valet key. $10