Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

My new CV shaft isn't fitting into my knuckle

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nohippychicks is an unknown quantity at this point
My new CV shaft isn't fitting into my knuckle

I bought two new CV shafts for my 01 Civic. I've only just removed the right side and attempted to install the replacement, which looks identical to the removed piece. When I try to get the outer splined part of the shaft, it fits into the knuckle but not far enough for the nut to grab on.
Is there something I'm missing, or is careful progress what I should be looking at?
I've greased the splines. I've whapped the knuckle with a rubber mallet. I've pulled and reindexed the splines to the knuckle...and I didn't notice any flat index mark that should be lined up to ease the install.
What I've been doing, before it got too dark outside to see anything, was I threaded the axle nut on backwards and pried on it a little to draw the shaft into the knuckle. It's been working pretty well/slowly, but I'm not sure that brute force and ignorance will get me through this ordeal.
Be that as it may, I think that the splined shaft should probably just slide right into the knuckle and it's not. Should I just continue my prying routine that is maybe working oh so slowly?
Is there some index mark I'm missing that's getting galled up as I force these parts together?
Maybe it's a matter of RockAuto cheapie parts just not machined quite as nice as factory parts?
I've got a few days before this has to be back together, so maybe someone can help me out between then and now.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: My new CV shaft isn't fitting into my knuckle

have you separated the ball joint?
Old 12-25-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nohippychicks is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep! I separated that, the sway bar link and even dropped the strut out of the way. I added some lube to the splines as well.
Old 12-25-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

then slightly turn the shaft while you tightens the shaft nut. meaning try to turn it until the splines align. be careful and hold the axle far from anything. for when the splines align, it could snap in suddenly it could also be out of alignment, so you could push it into different angles (CV joints are designed to change angles, so this could help it.)

mine went in with a bang