Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

CV shaft won't come out! Spend 2 hours trying!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coolfez is an unknown quantity at this point
CV shaft won't come out! Spend 2 hours trying!

Hi all,

I have a 1993 Civic LX. I tried to change the CV shaft on the passenger side today and the end that's inserted into the transmission won't come out!

I replaced the driver side last week and that went fine. The passenger side, I spent two hours and it won't come out. the rod did move and some liquid oozed out but the shaft is still stuck. I'm tried pulling it, used crowbar, tried hammering it out with a wedge.nothing.

what should I do????????????????? This has never happened before. i have changed several CV shafts before.
Old 03-07-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: CV shaft won't come out! Spend 2 hours trying!

You may have to work the prybar around where cv shaft butts up against the transmission. There was a tiny spot where I placed the pry bar, pushed and it popped right out. Try pushing the cv shaft back into place and prying again. It might be caught up in the differential. I've heard of that happening before.
Old 03-08-2011
Registered!!

94_civic_lx is an unknown quantity at this point

i just changed mine in my civic and i had to craw under the car if you have some one help you its way easyer and if you get a prybar or long flat head screw driver in between the cv shaft and tranny it will pop right out
Old 04-13-2011
Registered!!

jz92civic is an unknown quantity at this point

Just changed both of mine and as previously stated, I placed my crowbar in the crack between the cv axle and trans housing and they popped right out. Good Luck!
Old 04-14-2011
Registered!!

civicexracer will become famous soon enough

+another with the prybar. Wedge it in between the big collar on the axle and the trans and then give it a few wacks with a large rubber mallet untill it pops out. Hopefully the circlip is ok, make sure it comes out when you get the axle out.
Old 04-14-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

and don't forget they will be kind of a pain to put back, but it's the circlip that holds it in there. push deeply all the way in (sounds so bad when i read it again...)
if not, there will be oil leaks.
Old 04-15-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Hahahaha. It should make a click once it's set. You can GENTLY pull on the CV end to see if you're good to go.
Old 04-26-2011
Registered!!

coolfez is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey all,

Just wanted to give a long overdue update! Was finally able to get it out a couple days later. Seriously, had 2 friends over and had the car jacked up in so many different ways!

Even broke 2 pry bars! (good thing I got the good ones and they have life time replacement!)

The only thing is, sometimes when I turn left ( passenger side cv axle), I it feels like it isn't catching as well, a bit sluggish. But overall, not a big deal at all.
Old 04-26-2011
Trance Addict

Did you ensure you torqued down the ball joint castle nuts? The car shouldn't feel different going through turns. Did you verify that the axle won't come back out by giving it a few pulls?