Brakes Post Your questions about brakes here!

Brake Shoe Wear

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kirbert is an unknown quantity at this point
Brake Shoe Wear

With 115K on the odometer, my 2004 Civic LX Coupe's front brake pad squealers informed me that they were due for replacement. That's the first time; clearly this car is not driven hard! Anyhow, while picking up new pads for the front I went ahead and picked up a set of shoes for the rear.

That turns out to have been a mistake. The original brake shoes on the rear show NO wear. I don't mean just a little; I mean they are barely scuffed. In fact, I wouldn't think they show any more wear than I'd expect from the few times the handbrake has been applied while the car was moving.

I did bleed the rears while I was there, and that worked, so clearly fluid is getting to the cylinders. And the handbrake does hold the car securely, even on a Florida hill.

Any idea what's up? Is something wrong?
Old 04-13-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brake Shoe Wear

Normal. Most of Hondas drum brakes can outlast the cars they are on (especially where I'm at in the rust and salt belt)
I figure a ratio of front pad replacements to rear shoes at 5:1 or greater.

My dealer doesn't even stock rear shoes for anything because we never sell them (only the rookies try...until they get dialed in)

If you installed aftermarket brake shoes, they could wear much faster than Hondas shoes. Check wear regularly, or at least whenever the fronts need changed again.
Old 04-14-2017
Registered!!

Kirbert is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha! Well, that makes me feel better! Thanks! I put the old shoes in the box and will store them away. If these new shoes ever wear out, I'll just put the old shoes back in!
Old 04-15-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

mine showed no wear at all either, they will outlast the car.... Means, they do not do any work other than holding the car in inclines...
Old 04-15-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

my rear brakes are original on 2005 with 320,000kms and i have no plans in touching them unless they start yelling at me, i know they are original cause im the only owner, i think i have done the front brakes 3 times
Old 07-30-2017
Registered!!

Coach_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Every car that I have owned since early 1970's with front disc and rear drum has had drum shoes that last the life of the car; usually 250,000 km or 150,000 miles. But watch out if you buy a new Honda with front and rear discs. Because of my experience, I ignored checking the rear disc pads and destroyed my discs of my 2014 Civic at 75,000 km (45,000 miles). My bad. I will check front and rear carefully from now on. My front pads still have 70% life which I find really weird. Means most of the braking work is being done by the much smaller rear brakes, not the front.
Old 10-11-2017
Registered!!

rockyrock is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Normal. Most of Hondas drum brakes can outlast the cars they are on (especially where I'm at in the rust and salt belt)
I figure a ratio of front pad replacements to rear shoes at 5:1 or greater.

My dealer doesn't even stock rear shoes for anything because we never sell them (only the rookies try...until they get dialed in)

If you installed aftermarket brake shoes, they could wear much faster than Hondas shoes. Check wear regularly, or at least whenever the fronts need changed again.
Last time I got the oil changed at my local dealer, they marked the rear drums "yellow" at 2.5 mms. Current miliage is 135K, should I be concerned or do I have a while to go?
Old 10-11-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rockyrock
Last time I got the oil changed at my local dealer, they marked the rear drums "yellow" at 2.5 mms. Current miliage is 135K, should I be concerned or do I have a while to go?

i wouldn't worry about them, until they start screaming at you
Old 10-11-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If that's accurate then it took 135k to wear off 1mm or maybe 1.5mm of shoe friction material?

Stock shoes normally start out with IIRC about 3.5 or 4mm thick linings.
You've got lots of mileage left IMO.

The FSM states to replace shoes when there is 2mm of friction material remaining, but sometimes they are left to wear quite a bit more than that.
Old 10-12-2017
Registered!!

rockyrock is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all!
Old 04-05-2020
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
chuffsy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have 85k miles on my 2010 lx-s and the rear shoes show just about half worn. I am replacing the front rotors and pads and this will be number 3. I got 35k from the oems and replaced them with Powerstop Z23 kit. Those lasted 50k miles. I am reinstalling the same kit again. The rear drums started to show some rust so I primed with phosphoric acid then spray painted them with high temperature Bar B Q paint.
Cheers