Idle Issues If you have idle issues, post here!

Cylinders misfiring/fuel pump problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2023
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cek00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cylinders misfiring/fuel pump problem

This is my first car so I'm still learning a lot and how to do things so I could use all the help I can get.

I have a 2003 Honda Civic EX 1.7L standard with about 140k miles. Fantastic car no problems until recently. Several hours into a move I got the check engine light and it said it was misfiring on all 4 cylinders (P0300-P0304). No other indications of a problem before hand.

Tried a few easy fixes with no luck. I then changed the fuel pump and when I went to start it, it didn't start. I changed the spark plugs and it started and the light cleared immediately.

Long story short I think the fuel filter might have been clogged from a gallon I had drained from a motorcycle.

I made it to where I was going, drove it quite a lot while there and had no problems for 2 months. Got an inspection from a mechanic shop and they said it was in great shape.

Two months later I'm in the same situation, car loaded for a move several hours into a drive and the check engine light came back on. Same codes (P0300-P0304).

I'm still suspicious of the fuel pump/filter because it's after market. I'm thinking I'm going to try a fuel pump test kit to see if it's at the right pressure and possibly try cleaning the fuel tank.

Beyond that I'm short ideas of what to do. I have only a few days before I have to be back on the road for several days so if I can't get this sorted I'm worried I'll have to finish the drive with it misfiring and possibly breakdown fully or have to replace the car mid way through this drive.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading!

Last edited by cek00; 05-08-2023 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-09-2023
Super Moderator

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,323 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: Cylinders misfiring/fuel pump problem

Clogged EGR runners in the intake manifold can cause misfires on all cylinders. It's also fairly common. Does your engine have EGR? I have to ask because some do and some do not. The thing circled in red below is the EGR valve.

Old 05-09-2023
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
Clogged EGR runners in the intake manifold can cause misfires on all cylinders. It's also fairly common. Does your engine have EGR? I have to ask because some do and some do not. The thing circled in red below is the EGR valve.

Yes, it does. I'll give that a try, thank you!
Old 05-10-2023
Super Moderator

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,323 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

The intake manifold has to be removed to clean them. It will take some time and skill to remove, clean, and reinstall.
The following users liked this post:
Colin42 (05-10-2023)
Old 05-15-2023
Registered!!

I checked the fuel pump pressure, compression ratios of the 4 cylinders, cleaned the EGR valve and the fuel injectors. I made it another several days and about 500 miles and the light came back on.
I don't really understand what could cause the code to throw hours into drives but not on shorter drives?
Old 05-16-2023
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Did you clean just the valve or the intake as well?
Old 05-16-2023
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Did you clean just the valve or the intake as well?
I took the valve off and cleaned/tested it but not the intake manifold. Nothing was all that dirty though. Could that still be the issue?
Old 05-16-2023
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

On these cars the valve doesn't get too dirty, the passages in the intake do get clogged up though