Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Problem number 2!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seoul4korea can only hope to improve
Problem number 2!

Ok!
Hopefully gearbox or one of the other fine lads on here can help me out.

Actions done so far. I've clean the throttle body, Valve on the side of the throttle body, intake filter (K&N drop in) and changed out the spark plugs (NGK IRID.). I was reading some of the other post and i'm going to check the Gap tomorrow to rule that issue out.

The problem:
When driving (even while coasting) the engine will start to stumble and lose power. I stepped on the gas once to try and prevent the engine from dieing and the engine will bog down and then it jumps back up. with in 15 mins it died on me 3 times. After the car dies and i'm pulled over on the side of the road the engine WON'T start. I can hear the starter motor going and i'll wait like 2 minutes and tty like 3-4 during that time. After the fifth time it will start.

I'm not getting any kind of smoke of any kind out of the tail pipe and im not losing coolant. Also when I changed the spark plugs (two days ago) I didn't have any oil of any kind. I haven't checked the Coil and I plan too in the morning. My only other thoughts is that it's the fuel pump dieing. I'm not one hundred % sure but It could be the fuel pump starting to go out and so when the engine dies out and I try to start the engine again theres no fuel in the lines while i'm trying to start it. I know it should be pressured but if the fuel is being held back because of the pump??? Help me out of this guys because i'm really getting tired of the D17 acting up on my like this! does the fuel pump have a sensor that reads whether it fails or not?

FYI I don't get any codes, CEL, or any of the sort at all.
Old 10-02-2009
Registered!!

Re: Problem number 2!

Also I forgot to state this, I also reset the ECU and then did the Relearn.
Old 10-02-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

throw out the K&N filter and get a good paper like napa gold, or a good oiled foam like amsoil (if they make it). otherwise you will just clog everything up again. you might as well use a piece of toilet paper as a filter if you trust K&N. fuel pump is a likely cause of your problems, that or clogged injectors. but it sounds like your fuel pressure is dropping while driving and thats why youre losing power.
Old 10-02-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
throw out the K&N filter and get a good paper like napa gold, or a good oiled foam like amsoil (if they make it). otherwise you will just clog everything up again. you might as well use a piece of toilet paper as a filter if you trust K&N. fuel pump is a likely cause of your problems, that or clogged injectors. but it sounds like your fuel pressure is dropping while driving and thats why youre losing power.
So Go for the fuel pump?? Yeah i hear with K&N they don't filter a much which is why your able to get that few extra horsepower, which means you have to do oil changes all the time.
Old 10-03-2009
Pistol grip pump in my lap at all times

mr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the rough

Could just be a clogged FUEL filter.
Old 10-03-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

possible but those filters are rated for 100k miles or more and are not easy to change. technically you should never change it for the life of the car, unles ofcourse there is a fuel pressure drop. but if it was clogged, you would have consistent drop and the car would never run. his sounds like sometimes it works, sometimes doesnt.

Last edited by gearbox; 10-03-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-05-2009
Registered!!

possible but those filters are rated for 100k miles or more and are not easy to change. technically you should never change it for the life of the car, unles ofcourse there is a fuel pressure drop. but if it was clogged, you would have consistent drop and the car would never run. his sounds like sometimes it works, sometimes doesnt.
Fuel pump changed so far so good!
Old 10-05-2009
Registered!!

GreenMachineDX is an unknown quantity at this point

Check ur fuel filter... It might be that, or a pump.. cuz it sounds like u losing fuel..
Old 10-05-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GreenMachineDX
Check ur fuel filter... It might be that, or a pump.. cuz it sounds like u losing fuel..
did all of the above! every thing is good so far.
Old 10-05-2009
Registered!!

Well, then it might be a injectors cloged up like gearbox said..
Old 10-06-2009
Registered!!

Ok here's what I got. The problem came back today but it was alittle bit different. Normally when I had the problem the RPM's would slowly go down and die. This time the engine just shut off. No codes still. I Changed the fuel pump, looked at the filter (looked fine) and still hadn't had any luck. The only real change is that when it dies I'm able to start the engine up right away insteed of having to wait. Does anyone have any more info on the injectors??? I think i saw in another post that they have to be sent off to be cleaned. Could I try some Fuel injector cleaner from the store first? I'm really starting to run out of ideas on what could be happening. The only real thing that i'm thinking about is a faulty Fuel pressure Reg. what do you guys think?

-chris
Old 10-06-2009
Premium Member

try some FP-plus from lubecontrol.com
Old 10-06-2009
Registered!!

U can clean em with some 40dw..
Old 10-17-2009
Registered!!

ok Here's whats up. So far the Spark plugs are new, the fuel pump is new, i've cleaned the IAV valve + throttle body and I cleaned my intake. So I ran into the problem once again and desided to test some thing else.... I took the spark plugs out one by one and attached them to the coil. After that I had my wife crank the motor and noticed something intresting. The #3 cylinder spark Arc looks normal but the other three cylinders where so weak I had to close one eye and hold it up to a black back ground only to see LITTLE to no spark on the other three. I have 4 new ignition coils coming in tomorrow at 9AM so Hopefully all is good once I've changed them. So From what I understand it's just 4 coils, the PCM and thats it? I know ignition timing is also linked to the CPS and TDC sensor, are there anything else involved?
Old 10-17-2009
Premium Member

all you can really do is change the coils. but, have you measured the incoming voltage to the coils? make sure that with the car running they are putting out 13.9v each. grab a multimeter and tap into one of the three wires, i think the brown one. whichever is constant power so you get a reading.
Old 10-18-2009
Registered!!

all you can really do is change the coils. but, have you measured the incoming voltage to the coils? make sure that with the car running they are putting out 13.9v each. grab a multimeter and tap into one of the three wires, i think the brown one. whichever is constant power so you get a reading.
Sure thing i'll find out today and hit you up with the update later!
Old 10-18-2009
Registered!!

Ok all ignition coils have been replaced. So far the car hasn't died on me after a test drive. It seems to have restored power and respond's well. The only thing that i've noticed is that I still have the problem with RPM's. When the car is coming to a stop and the RPM's get to 900 it will jump back up to around 1400 rpm and go down from there. The RPM's seem to hop up and slowly go down every time. Does anyone have any Idea why this is?
Old 10-18-2009
Registered!!

ECU relearn completed! Going for another test drive!
Old 10-18-2009
Premium Member

if the rpm is jumping up and down by itself, it may be a bad tps sensor, and that means new throttle body time. but if its just idle drop when you let off the gas, its prolly just the dirty iac and the cleaning + relearn should fix it.
Old 10-18-2009
Registered!!

if the rpm is jumping up and down by itself, it may be a bad tps sensor, and that means new throttle body time. but if its just idle drop when you let off the gas, its prolly just the dirty iac and the cleaning + relearn should fix it.
Yeah It's not all the time. It only jumps up while the RPM's are going down after i let off the gas and let the tranny slow the car down. I've already cleaned the IAC and just did the Relearn so far so good. I forgot to look while I was driving it but so far so good!
Old 10-19-2009
Registered!!

Ok I'm throwing in the towel. The problem came back this time it was kind of crazy. It died on me today and when I tried to start it it sounded like one of the cylinders fired and then died right away. I tried like 5 times to get it to start and desided to disconnect the battery for 10 mins and reset the computer. After I did that guess what the car started right up. Could the strange idle drop and the car killing itself along with the start up after the Reset mean that the PCM is no good? I'm really getting tired of this and I really really need to fix this. I unplugged the MAP sensor to make sure the ECU picked up the code which it did and then i reset it. So far with all of the work i've done that's the only thing that makes sence to me is that the control unit is ****ed! Does anyone have any ideas??
Old 10-19-2009
Registered!!

Do u get any kind of warning lights on ur dashboard before it dies out?
Old 10-20-2009
Registered!!

no = (
Old 10-20-2009
Registered!!

Well, here is what i would do, I would take it to the dealership and pay 40 bucks to them to put the car on their computer and have an mechanic explain to me, what is wrong with my car.. Because i really dont know what else could be wrong with it either, If u did all of those stuff that u said u did, then i dont know.. Thats the best thing to do for u now.
Old 10-20-2009
Premium Member

they will say everythings fine
Old 10-20-2009
Registered!!

they will say everythings fine
Agreed! How do I know?? I just got off the phone and after talking to honda and after a good 10 mins he told me that it really wouldn't be worth me taking the car down there because more then likely they're computer wouldn't pick anything up at all. I'm going to look at the PCM, the service rep told me to open up the PCM and look for any damage. He told me that for the most part he's never seen a PCM just go bad and that most of the time its just water that drips in from the wiring harness and drips into the PCM. He was a cool guy actually hes been working there for 22 years he took down my number and hes going to have his head machanic call me so we can discuss it. hopefully we can get this fixed!
Old 10-20-2009
Registered!!

Yea, i mean that never has happend to me, but it can happen... i hope u get it fixed..
Old 10-20-2009
Registered!!

Heck yeah! I need to try and change the Relays and then if that doesn't work..... The PCM. Honda said its going to cost like $500!
Old 11-01-2009
Registered!!

Okay, after getting a ECU off of a good source from E-bay I've swapped them out and the Car is at Honda. Hopefully tomorrow I get a call saying she's ready to roll!
Old 11-02-2009
Registered!!

every thing works yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rockon :

Quick Reply: Problem number 2!