Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Why you only shift 4 positions SLXA tranny?! BMXA Swap.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016
2001 Civic EX JDM swap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CommuterMonster is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Why you only shift 4 positions SLXA tranny?! BMXA Swap.

Update:
The ECU that came with my engine is from a Honda Stream, and I was unable to program my existing keys as the new Master keys in the JDM ECU. I put the original ECU back in, and I am going to drive it around with that for a short time, seeing how it runs. I have a coworker who is really good with this stuff and he is going to help me try and figure it out. I may even get a new key cut at Lowes that hasnt been programmed before, just in case thats the issue. (doubt it, but whatever)
Old 03-02-2017
Registered!!

Kunkle2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nsrhonda89
Which Transmission Range Switch Circuit are you using?
If your original transmission comes with the BMXA transmission then use the BMXA switch and see what happens.

I checked the service manual and the only difference is the speed sensor washer.

NOTE: The mainshaft speed sensor washer is
equipped on the SLXA transmission; the BMXA
transmission does not have the washer.

​​​​​​Hi I'm new here what is an slxa and bmxa. I need de serious help. I have a 2002 Civic LX. Just bought a donor 2002 Civic ex. I then took it for a test ride and it has no power and the d light blinks someone please help.

Old 03-11-2017
Registered!!

I have an 02 canadian built lx i have a donor car that has an slxa in it thats throwing the torque converter code. my lx bmxa tranny has anyone figured out if these transmissions will work in the canadian built i have the p r n d d3 d2 and the donor is the dreaded slxa thhrowing the same code as everyone else.
Old 03-11-2017
Registered!!

anyone get this figured out????
Old 02-24-2020
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jacked_72 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just picked up a 2002 Civic EX with the same transmission problem as everyone else. I was going to put in the SXA because it was $200, but then I saw all the problems that everyone was having. I've seen it speculated that the torque converter is smaller and causing the computer to throw the P0740 code at highway driving. I think post #11 in this thread is on the money: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...tion-bmxa.html The transmissions are different internally. I looked at the rebuild kit for the BMXA and SLXA and they have different numbers of clutch and steels. BMXA has 12 frictions. The SLXA had something like 9. So, its like there is an entire clutch pack missing from the SLXA which could mean its a 3 speed. And in researching replacing my torque converter, what I found is that they are the same for the BMXA and the SLXA. My conclusion is that its not the torque converter causing the error code, its something to do with the internal workings of the transmission. Also, I did a google search of the Honda Steam dash and all of them are one range sensor position short of what they sold in the US version of the Civic (at least on the EX model).

I'd love to hear if anyone has found a way to the make the SLXA work without the CEL coming on. If there is a newer thread on the BXMA to SLXA thread or a thread on another forum that gets to the bottom of these issues, could someone point me to it?
Old 09-09-2020
Registered!!

Wesley Dustin is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone ever had a problem with the vehicle not starting after swapping a bmxa 5 for an Slxa 4 and if so how did they resolve it