7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trans question bmxa

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
importtek is an unknown quantity at this point
Trans question bmxa

I have a 2001 ex with the bmxa trans. It started slipping and banging so I bought another off ebay from a good source. They sent a slxa and we installed it and now have some problems. They tell me that all we need to do is adjust the shifter. Yeah right. Put it in gear and check engine light shows wrong gear. Replace shift switch with original off my trans and that code went away. I drive it and it is at 3000 rpm at 60-65 mph and feels as though lock up is not happening. Now have a code for torque convertor lock up. Anything I can adjust or do to get this trans to work?? It shifts great and does not slip but the code and no lock up is confusing me. Thanks for any hepl!!
Old 09-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough
Re: Trans question bmxa

I don't know the in and outs of the bmxa/sxla and their differences. I rebuilt my bmxa though. When I rebuilt it and put it in it threw a lock up code. I ended up having to pull it apart and found one of the shaft seals rolled. In short it had a pressure leak inside.

What kind of fluid you running? Appearantly these Hondas are extremely persnickety on fluid. It has been about 15k since I did mine and have been using the Import Castrol from Autozone. It is a bit thicker than Honda fluid, but I haven't had any trouble with it at all.

The Honda fluid is a really thin viscosity fluid, could be your problems...
Old 10-19-2012
Registered!!

daveyd007 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have the same exact problem. does anyone know how to resolve this.
Old 10-21-2012
2001 Civic LX Sedan

Biscuit will become famous soon enoughBiscuit will become famous soon enough

Replace the torque converter because it's internal clutch has failed.
I have experienced this failure.
Old 10-22-2012
Registered!!

daveyd007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Biscuit
Replace the torque converter because it's internal clutch has failed.
I have experienced this failure.
i just got this tranny from a reliable JDM source. the tranny shifts great. i only have a problem when im going over 55 and the light comes on. i dont think its the torque convertor.
Old 11-01-2012
Registered!!

nsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura aboutnsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura about

If the code is P0740 then is mostly likely the torque converter. You should change the torque converter o-ring as well.
Old 11-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Wouldn't be a noticeable slip to the normal person. The P0740 deals with the tourqe convertor clutch only. The reason why you have to be going fast is because the ECM doesn't engage it unless you are over 40 mph and in 4th gear, which is a minimal load situation. The TCC is a gas saving measure. When its engaged you have a 1:1 drive through the TC. It throws the code when the output speed of the trans is less than input for an unexpected amount of time.

Originally Posted by nsrhonda89
If the code is P0740 then is mostly likely the torque converter. You should change the torque converter o-ring as well.
Or the fluid path to it, which was mine. Everyone is quick to condemn the TC itself, which is possible. The early TCs had known issues with the TCC being defecting and self destructing. Here is the catch 22 though, pull the trans and replace the TC and it still throws the code, then its back to the drawing board and the other options are further in and split the case. The solenoid controls the passage, but the electrical side of it would through a different code. Yes the pintle of the solenoid could be sticking, but IMO you payed alot of money for a good trans, not personally usually confrontational but I would be up their butts until they made it right.

Last edited by johndeerebones; 11-02-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-27-2015
Registered!!

nelsonm13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im going thru this same problem. Just wondering if anybody else has done this swap and found the solution
Old 04-28-2015
Registered!!

lebaron is an unknown quantity at this point

I got the same problem too with this swap on my 2005 Honda civic lx slxa for bmxa it kept giving me differents codes torque converter, clutch, range sensor and so on but upon careful examination of trans shaft my bmxa has 5 clicks while the slxa has only 4 the trans is good but is one gear short if I drive only 50 miles p/h is ok but when I try to go over 60 the rpm are over 3000 the fifth gear never engages cause doesn't have it then your engine light comes on and gives you all those codes. These guys are selling the wrong trans to people and don't care.
Old 05-17-2015
Registered!!

zjeproks is an unknown quantity at this point

Anybody that swapped a BMXA to SLXA and getting a P0740 error figure out a fix?
Old 01-04-2016
Registered!!

BoydStacy.... is an unknown quantity at this point

I wrote this up on another site but I am researching everywhere and trying to bring people currently dealing with the issue into the discussion

First, the relavent issue is 4 click, 5 click, 6 click etc. It is relavent because the info on the net says the SLXA and BMXA are only 1 washer different, but they can not be! Those clicks represent gears or something in the tranny other than a washer, even if its just a fluid passage, the click is something.

The SLXA is a 3 speed. I have come to the conclusion the BMXA made in USA is a 3 speed and the one made in Canada is a 4 speed but both are branded BMXA. I think this is part of the confusion on the forums with how to make it work. I think with a BMXA made in the USA in your car you can swap some solenoids and sensors and get it to work because both are 3 speeds. The Canada made BMXA you can not because it is a 4 speed.

The Canadian BMXA is a 4 speed and the computer wants to lock up the torque converter in 4th gear but it does not even see a 4th gear with the 5 click SLXA being sold. the 5 clicks are P-R-N-1-2-D, the BMXA has P-R-N-1-2-(D3)-D, it would be a 6 click (NOTE MINE IS IN MY CAR I AM BASING THIS ON RESEARCH) With the 5 click SLXA in a Candian made civic we get the P0740 code because it does not want to lock up the torque converter in what it sees as 3rd gear not drive.

As of late last night I have come to this conclusion,

The sheet metal of the civic does not care whats in there, for us to run a SLXA we need a PCM/ECU that came from a SLXA car and have our key programmed. I know people say that Honda said they can not program the key to the jdm ecu but I am looking at wrecking yards for USA made BMXA or SLXA cars that I can get the ECU from then I am in the same position as someone with a USA made civic, just switch the sensors. It all comes down to our computers needing to see more clicks than the SLXA transmission have.

I hope someone proves me wrong but that is my theory now. I think the limited success I have seen on the net were people with USA made civics having success geting the 3 speed to work with the transplant 3 speed. I do not think anyone has had the 4 speed computer that controls the Canadian Civics lock up the 3 speed SLXA when its in drive

I am about to look into the ECU itself, if the board is the same for the USA made, JDM made and Canada made cars then we should be able to get ours flashed to control the JDM SLXA, not sure about details yet it just a concept in my head.

My Civic is not my daily driver so dropping this thread is not going to happen it will be solved before this is all over. If anyone has info that I do not know or understand that is relavent please reply.