Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Newb with a question..

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CaptainPicardX is an unknown quantity at this point
Newb with a question..

Hello all. Newb here. I got a 2005 civic Lx manual, recenty had to change the clutch kit (I'm a mechanic at a shop) also had to change trans, due to input shaft bearing being bad (cheaper where I'm at, than the cost to change the bearing.)

I got the transmission from Syncrotech in Cali ( I think). Here is the issue:

Before when I did around 80 mph my rpm would be around 3K, and my engine is barelly loud ( I do have intake and exahust on it though) but still barely audible, but now i get to 60-65 its running at 3-3.3K easy. I dont know for sure what the old rmps were, but I know that now when I do around 80-85 the rmps are around 4- 4200. Seems to me that the other trans had longer gear ratios or something. Before my rpms were around 4K when I do 90 mph.

I called the guy, and he said he gave me a DX trans, and after like 2 hours of calling different people everyone ( and dealer) tells me they are the same. Also it seems to me that the low end acceleration before (50 mph ) is faster too.

Is this gonna mess up my engine in any way? Is this normal I could of sworn the rpms were lower with the other trans. Should I just leave this one in? The damn shipping was $130 by itself, it may be cheaper to just leave this one in.

I'd really like one of you guys that has an LX with manual trans to kind of record what your rmps are at 60 mphs and 80 mph, would appreciate it....

Denis

Last edited by CaptainPicardX; 02-12-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-12-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Newb with a question..

If what you say is true, then it sure sounds like you got different gear ratios now.

I can't find what actual ratios are supposed to be, all I can tell is different part numbers between EX, and LX/DX: Ring and pinion gear sets are different, and 1st and 5th gears are different.
Looks to be the same parts from 01 to 05 though.
(I wonder if someone could mix and match gear sets from a pile on a bench?)
Old 02-12-2013
Registered!!

I actually found the gear ratios on google, I think only the EX is different. I wonder if maybe he gave me the EX? or maybe they like you said someone put the wrong kit in it, since they can actually build transmissions?

I still would like someone with an LX ( manual) to tell me what their rpms are at 60 mph, ( 5th gear, exact r[ms) I think mine are at 3-3.1 K.
Old 02-12-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

My 02 ex sits at 2500 at 60 mph in 5th gear...
Old 02-12-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking the EX will have lower engine RPM at any given road speed, than a DX/LX.
Old 02-13-2013
Registered!!

I tought EX was Vtec? wouldnt it have higher rpms?

ANyway anyone got an LX manual?

I looked at it today again, I was at 3100 rpm at 60 mph.
Old 02-13-2013
Registered!!

clinton_hedrick is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like an EX transmission. In my 05, I think the ratio is 4.41. 3k rpm at 62 mph/100 kph.
^ what does vtec have to do with the gear ratio or rpms? lol
Old 02-13-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,451 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
I was thinking the EX will have lower engine RPM at any given road speed, than a DX/LX.
actually, no. Honda made them shorter to make it "feel" sportier. impacts to mileage, in my opinion, my old auto LX had similar mileage than my EX (until the camshaft change)
Old 02-13-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
(until the camshaft change)
Stage 1 Crower?
Old 02-13-2013
Registered!!

anyone got an LX ?
whats your rpms in 5th gear at 80 mph?
Old 02-13-2013

Originally Posted by CaptainPicardX
at 80 mph?
Speed limits aren't that fast around these parts......and everyone knows we ALL obey the law.
No habitual line steppers here.

Stick to comparing at 60 MPH.

On a manual trans, engine RPM will always increase in a direct linear fashion with road speed for any given gear selected..
Old 02-14-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Matt_75
Stage 1 Crower?
yep - got better
Old 02-15-2013
Registered!!

damn no one with an LX? thats kind of hard to believe...
Old 02-16-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

You have an EX transmission now. Gear ratios are indeed different between the models but only the EX differs from the others.

This is my car in KILOMETERS per hour so this is roughly 60 MPH, it is an EX.

Name:  IMG00302-20110628-0552.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  51.0 KB

at 80 MPH I've crossed 4000 RPM.
Old 02-18-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
You have an EX transmission now. Gear ratios are indeed different between the models but only the EX differs from the others.

This is my car in KILOMETERS per hour so this is roughly 60 MPH, it is an EX.

at 80 MPH I've crossed 4000 RPM.
I think you are right, I looked at my rpm's today when I was coming from work, and it was exactly like yours. damn, I really dont feel like taking this rnas off again. Is it okay if I leave this one in? Just the gas mileage issue, not the engine right?
Old 02-18-2013
Registered!!

clinton_hedrick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CaptainPicardX
I think you are right, I looked at my rpm's today when I was coming from work, and it was exactly like yours. damn, I really dont feel like taking this rnas off again. Is it okay if I leave this one in? Just the gas mileage issue, not the engine right?
It shouldn't make that big of a deal for your gas mileage, on freeway driving you'll probably see a change though. I actually think the lower gears in my EX probably help me where I drive, on curvy roads, so I can stay in 5th for even the slower curves. 37-38 on 55 mph roads, and I drop to 35-36 on 65/70 mph roads (In the summer).
Old 02-19-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

^ nailed in.