Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Stuck shift release, no brake lights. Stuck on park - Solved

Old 03-20-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s7khan is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuck shift release, no brake lights. Stuck on park - Solved

Hey all!

So I found this forum while trying to figure out how to fix a problem with my 2004 Civic (Sedan). Love the forum, and while I hate to start asking a bunch of questions right after signing up, I'd appreciate any help.

Anyhow, the problem:
My car is stuck in Park. If I shove something in the hole beside the shift, I can put it in neutral, switch on the car and go.
My brake lights are also not working including the centre one. I just replaced the bulbs for the side lights, so I don't think it's a fuse. I believe the two issues are related.

What I've done so far:
I've replaced the brake switch with a new one. Didn't fix the problem
I was going to replace the fuse with a new one (I believe it's #7, the 15 amp one). I realised that it is shared with the horn, and the horn works.

Another thing I've noticed is there is no clicking sound when pressing the brake. I usually hear it from the shift area. There is an Accord and Odessey at home that has that sound, so I'm pretty sure it's supposed to click.

Other then that, I'm pretty lost. Not sure what else to check. So if you guys have any suggestions, let me know. Thanks a lot!
Old 03-20-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Stuck shift release, no brake lights. Stuck on park

Measure the voltage at the brake switch.

WHT/GRN = Constant 12 volts.
WHT/BLK = Switched 12 volts ( when pedal pressed )
Old 04-02-2011
Registered!!

Replaced the fuse. No luck so far

Trying to replace the gear shift solenoid, have a feeling that it's not going to fix the issue. Completely confused about what my next step is.

Oh well, I could donate part (hopefully) of my next paycheck to Honda to fix it
Old 04-02-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, there is definitely something wrong with your brakes, it's not sensing that you're stepping on it
Old 04-02-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

have you tried a new brake light switch? its cheap ($10) and easy to replace under the brake pedal.
Old 04-03-2011

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Save your time on the solenoid you have 2 items inop.

Horn working o.k. ?? They share a fuse.

A meter or test light on your brake switch is your best bet to narrow problem.
Old 04-03-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
Yep, there is definitely something wrong with your brakes, it's not sensing that you're stepping on it
Yeah

Originally Posted by gearbox
have you tried a new brake light switch? its cheap ($10) and easy to replace under the brake pedal.
That was the first thing I checked/replaced. No luck unfortunately

Originally Posted by CraigW
Save your time on the solenoid you have 2 items inop.

Horn working o.k. ?? They share a fuse.

A meter or test light on your brake switch is your best bet to narrow problem.
I replaced the solenoid this morning already, I've already replaced the fuse, and the horn worked before replacing the fuse anyway.

What do you mean meter or test light on my brake switch?
Old 04-04-2011

Since your horn is working your fuse is o.k.

You need to check for voltage at and after the brake switch at the wire colors I listed. Buy a test light for $3-$5 at the auto parts store ground the alligator clip to a good solid metal ground, you can use the sharp point on the test light to pierce the insulation of the wire (don't break wire) and see if the bulb inside tester lights. Start with WHT/GRN wire.
Old 04-07-2011
Registered!!

I gave up after testing for voltage (that was fine). Gave it to Honda to check, so far the 'diagnostic' charge has gone up to $275. Still have no clue what the problem is. It's been there all day.
Old 03-05-2012
Registered!!

I should've probably updated, but was pretty depressed with the bill. According to them, there was a loose connection underneath the driver's seat. This was something that could not be avoidable, it's just one of those things that 'happens' to some cars. I've never heard of this, and I'm quite skeptical, but in either case, that is what they told me. They said it took them 9 hours to take out the seat, floorboards, etc. They wasted a couple of hrs after I specifically told them don't bother checking the gear shift solenoid, that I had already replaced it. They checked, anyway, said it was a great replacement job, and charged me $125 for the hour that they checked that.

Anyhow, unfortunately for those with a similar problem as mine, if it's not the brake switch or the fuse, you might be in for an expensive repair.
Old 03-06-2013
Registered!!

mannytwincam is an unknown quantity at this point

I also have a prob with my rear tail lights dont go on when i press the brake peddel, im going to try your suggestions on the brake swicht 2marrow hope thats the prob and that will fix the prob. thanks you guys for the info.

Last edited by mannytwincam; 03-06-2013 at 10:33 PM.