Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Transmission (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/332-transmission)
-   -   Stuck shift release, no brake lights. Stuck on park - Solved (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/332-transmission/339329-stuck-shift-release-no-brake-lights-stuck-park-solved.html)

s7khan 03-20-2011 10:28 AM

Stuck shift release, no brake lights. Stuck on park - Solved

Hey all!

So I found this forum while trying to figure out how to fix a problem with my 2004 Civic (Sedan). Love the forum, and while I hate to start asking a bunch of questions right after signing up, I'd appreciate any help.

Anyhow, the problem:
My car is stuck in Park. If I shove something in the hole beside the shift, I can put it in neutral, switch on the car and go.
My brake lights are also not working including the centre one. I just replaced the bulbs for the side lights, so I don't think it's a fuse. I believe the two issues are related.

What I've done so far:
I've replaced the brake switch with a new one. Didn't fix the problem
I was going to replace the fuse with a new one (I believe it's #7, the 15 amp one). I realised that it is shared with the horn, and the horn works.

Another thing I've noticed is there is no clicking sound when pressing the brake. I usually hear it from the shift area. There is an Accord and Odessey at home that has that sound, so I'm pretty sure it's supposed to click.

Other then that, I'm pretty lost. Not sure what else to check. So if you guys have any suggestions, let me know. Thanks a lot!

CraigW 03-20-2011 11:02 AM

Re: Stuck shift release, no brake lights. Stuck on park

Measure the voltage at the brake switch.

WHT/GRN = Constant 12 volts.
WHT/BLK = Switched 12 volts ( when pedal pressed )

s7khan 04-02-2011 05:54 PM

Replaced the fuse. No luck so far :(

Trying to replace the gear shift solenoid, have a feeling that it's not going to fix the issue. Completely confused about what my next step is.

Oh well, I could donate part (hopefully) of my next paycheck to Honda to fix it

Kennykid2002 04-02-2011 08:46 PM

Yep, there is definitely something wrong with your brakes, it's not sensing that you're stepping on it

gearbox 04-02-2011 08:49 PM

have you tried a new brake light switch? its cheap ($10) and easy to replace under the brake pedal.

CraigW 04-03-2011 10:08 AM

Save your time on the solenoid you have 2 items inop.

Horn working o.k. ?? They share a fuse.

A meter or test light on your brake switch is your best bet to narrow problem.

s7khan 04-03-2011 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002 (Post 4528644)
Yep, there is definitely something wrong with your brakes, it's not sensing that you're stepping on it

Yeah :(

Originally Posted by gearbox (Post 4528646)
have you tried a new brake light switch? its cheap ($10) and easy to replace under the brake pedal.

That was the first thing I checked/replaced. No luck unfortunately

Originally Posted by CraigW (Post 4528732)
Save your time on the solenoid you have 2 items inop.

Horn working o.k. ?? They share a fuse.

A meter or test light on your brake switch is your best bet to narrow problem.

I replaced the solenoid this morning already, I've already replaced the fuse, and the horn worked before replacing the fuse anyway.

What do you mean meter or test light on my brake switch?

CraigW 04-04-2011 06:46 AM

Since your horn is working your fuse is o.k.

You need to check for voltage at and after the brake switch at the wire colors I listed. Buy a test light for $3-$5 at the auto parts store ground the alligator clip to a good solid metal ground, you can use the sharp point on the test light to pierce the insulation of the wire (don't break wire) and see if the bulb inside tester lights. Start with WHT/GRN wire.

s7khan 04-07-2011 04:36 PM

I gave up after testing for voltage (that was fine). Gave it to Honda to check, so far the 'diagnostic' charge has gone up to $275. Still have no clue what the problem is. It's been there all day.

s7khan 03-05-2012 09:44 PM

I should've probably updated, but was pretty depressed with the bill. According to them, there was a loose connection underneath the driver's seat. This was something that could not be avoidable, it's just one of those things that 'happens' to some cars. I've never heard of this, and I'm quite skeptical, but in either case, that is what they told me. They said it took them 9 hours to take out the seat, floorboards, etc. They wasted a couple of hrs after I specifically told them don't bother checking the gear shift solenoid, that I had already replaced it. They checked, anyway, said it was a great replacement job, and charged me $125 for the hour that they checked that.

Anyhow, unfortunately for those with a similar problem as mine, if it's not the brake switch or the fuse, you might be in for an expensive repair.

mannytwincam 03-06-2013 10:27 PM

I also have a prob with my rear tail lights dont go on when i press the brake peddel, im going to try your suggestions on the brake swicht 2marrow hope thats the prob and that will fix the prob. thanks you guys for the info.