Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

What spark plugs from Autozone is recommended? 2004 EX

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2022
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
passive101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question What spark plugs from Autozone is recommended? 2004 EX

I have a 2004 and I'm getting an error code for a misfire in cyclinder 3. I figure changing the spark plugs is the easiest to see if this solves the problem. Car has 212k miles on it and no idea when the last owner changed them.

autozone says the car came with DOUBLE PLATNIUM. They sell autolites for $6.50. It looks like they have Bosch Iridium for $9.50. the cost difference doesn't matter that much to me. what usually works the best in this car?
Old 10-19-2022
Click Here

Received 1,156 Likes on 903 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light
Re: What spark plugs from Autozone is recommended? 2004 EX

NGK’s for Honda’s. I used iridium’s in my ‘01.
Old 10-19-2022
Registered!!

Originally Posted by FRSam
NGK’s for Honda’s. I used iridium’s in my ‘01.
Cool. I'll see if they have one of those. Any idea how long of an extension I need to change them?
Old 10-19-2022
Click Here

FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by passive101
Cool. I'll see if they have one of those. Any idea how long of an extension I need to change them?
I did mine with a 6" extension and needing basically all of it. Really easy job. I've owned a bunch of cars since I sold it last year and it's still by far the easiest one I've done.
Old 10-19-2022
Registered!!

Originally Posted by FRSam
I did mine with a 6" extension and needing basically all of it. Really easy job. I've owned a bunch of cars since I sold it last year and it's still by far the easiest one I've done.
Easiest one you've done? Thank God I should be able to do this project then. I'm handy enough to break things 🤣
Old 10-19-2022
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Just be sure to start them by hand, a chunk of rubber fuel line is good for this.
Old 10-19-2022
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Colin42
Just be sure to start them by hand, a chunk of rubber fuel line is good for this.
or, if you feel like being fancy, they make a "spark plug socket" that is essentially a deep socket with a rubber insert. You'll need a 5/8" deep socket for your car. They'll be like $8 at autozone

as far as spark plug brand, I'd stick to NGK or Denso

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 10-19-2022 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-19-2022
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
or, if you feel like being fancy, they make a "spark plug socket" that is essentially a deep socket with a rubber insert. You'll need a 5/8" deep socket for your car. They'll be like $8 at autozone

as far as spark plug brand, I'd stick to NGK or Denso
I got a spark plug pulling socket from AutoZone. It has a magnet in it but no rubber. What is the rubber supposed to be for?

This brand is duralast?
Old 10-20-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

What is the rubber supposed to be for?
so the plug don't fall from the tool and ruin the electrodes gap
Old 10-20-2022
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

magnet does the same thing -- keeps the spark plug in the socket until you take it out. Forgot they make magnetic sockets, too
Old 10-20-2022
Registered!!

Alright at least I got the right thing. I lost my spark plug gapper so I'll going to get a new one. Do these iridium ones get gapped to the same number as the regular ones?

Do I need to blow the area out with a can of air? I saw someone on YouTube do that.
Old 10-20-2022
Click Here

Alright at least I got the right thing. I lost my spark plug gapper so I'll going to get a new one. Do these iridium ones get gapped to the same number as the regular ones?

Do I need to blow the area out with a can of air? I saw someone on YouTube do that.
I've never gapped my spark plugs (but yes, they'd be gapped the same) or blown out the holes. Maybe I'm just lazy but I've never had a problem that way.
Old 10-21-2022
Super Moderator

Received 1,874 Likes on 1,319 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

If the spark plugs don't fix the misfires, I would guess it's clogged EGR runners in the intake manifold. Pretty common issue with that many miles. This is all assuming your engine has EGR.
The following users liked this post:
Colin42 (10-21-2022)
Old 10-21-2022
7th Gen Victim

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
crajnai has a spectacular aura aboutcrajnai has a spectacular aura about

Never Bosch. Ever.

Denso or NGK only.
Old 10-21-2022
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
If the spark plugs don't fix the misfires, I would guess it's clogged EGR runners in the intake manifold. Pretty common issue with that many miles. This is all assuming your engine has EGR.
What is EGR?
Old 10-21-2022
Super Moderator

Received 1,874 Likes on 1,319 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Exhaust gas recirculation.
Old 10-21-2022
Administrator
Administrator

Doesn't hurt to check the gap. Should be .044" (same as OEM gap), and they should be pre-gapped to that. Iridium electrodes are a lot more brittle, so if you do need to adjust the gap, proceed with caution. I had to re-gap one iridium spark plug in the life of my 2002 Civic, and the gap measured .049. To close the gap a little, I put the spark plug in my spark plug socket with a 12" extension, and, with gentle force, rolled the electrode on a chunk of pine 2x4. Worked slowly and checked every so often.