Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Spark plug question

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002blackcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Spark plug question

Hello guys. I am new to this forum. I have a 2002 Honda Civic EX with 41,000 miles on the clock. Just recently, my Service Engine light came on. I took it to Autozone to check the codes. I had a misfire condition in Cylinders 1, 2, 3, and 4. Also, when I take off from a stoplight, the car seems to hesitate a bit. It's not accelerating smoothly like it used to.
If I change my spark plugs, will it solve the problem? I dumped some fuel injector cleaner in the car yesterday, and it didn't solve anything. I'm assuming the fuel injectors are clean. The only thing left is the spark plugs, right? I will be inspecting those tomorrow. By the way, the spark plugs were never changed. I know they're supposed to be rated for 100,000 miles, but that's a bunch of baloney. Spark plugs can't last that long in the real world. Anyway, I was just wondering what's the best type of spark plugs to use? Will it make a huge difference if I use platinum plugs?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-31-2006
Registered!!

ccarbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, it is the plugs. I have the same car and just happened to me 2 weeks ago. misfire on 1,3,4. I got the NGK Iridium plugs, they are spendy too like $12.50 a piece. Just put new plugs in and clear the codes and you should be fine. Mine has been running great since new plugs.

Originally Posted by 2002blackcivic
Hello guys. I am new to this forum. I have a 2002
Honda Civic EX with 41,000 miles on the clock. Just recently, my Service Engine light came on. I took it to Autozone to check the codes. I had a misfire condition in Cylinders 1, 2, 3, and 4. Also, when I take off from a stoplight, the car seems to hesitate a bit. It's not accelerating smoothly like it used to.
If I change my spark plugs, will it solve the problem? I dumped some fuel injector cleaner in the car yesterday, and it didn't solve anything. I'm assuming the fuel injectors are clean. The only thing left is the spark plugs, right? I will be inspecting those tomorrow. By the way, the spark plugs were never changed. I know they're supposed to be rated for 100,000 miles, but that's a bunch of baloney. Spark plugs can't last that long in the real world. Anyway, I was just wondering what's the best type of spark plugs to use? Will it make a huge difference if I use platinum plugs?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ccarbo; 08-31-2006 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-31-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
this should never happen. it takes 5 minutes to change the plugs, so there is no excuse. and if you're cheap, get the ngk vpower copper plugs for $8 total for 4. and the store bought fuel cleaner does nothing. its like pouring more gas into the tank. here www.lubecontrol.com
Old 08-31-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ccarbo
Yes, it is the plugs. I have the same car and just happened to me 2 weeks ago. misfire on 1,3,4. I got the NGK Iridium plugs, they are spendy too like $12.50 a piece. Just put new plugs in and clear the codes and you should be fine. Mine has been running great since new plugs.
I just bought some NGK Irudium plugs. I'm about to install them. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks.
Old 08-31-2006
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
Misfire on all 4 cylinders sounds like a bigger issue than plugs. Although changing the plugs wont do any harm.. but iridium plugs..
Old 08-31-2006
Registered!!

If the misfire code is P0301, P0302,P0303 or P0304 that means replace plugs. I just had it happen. If it was only one misfire on a cylinder then could be a coil pack. Unlikely all 4 coil packs are acting up. I had 3 cylinders misfire. New plugs (iridium type cause that is what the manual recommends) and cleared the OBD codes and its been running great for 2 weeks. 41 MPG too! :-)
Old 08-31-2006
Registered!!

Problem solved

Guys, I just installed new NGK Irudium Plugs. Then I started the car. The Service Engine light went out and the car performs perfectly again. I hooked it up to my scan tool. The DTC's were still in the computer's memory, so I cleared them. My car now works much better, idles smoothly, and sounds much better as well. Problem solved.

BTW, the codes were P0301, P0302, P0303 and P0304. Thanks for the info everyone.

Last edited by 2002blackcivic; 08-31-2006 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-31-2006
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ccarbo
New plugs (iridium type cause that is what the manual recommends)
Alright I lost my manual over a year ago..... But i have a hard time believing that the our owners manual says to use iridium plugs. Are you sure of this?
Old 08-31-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
no, our cars come stock with double platinum (either denso or ngk at random). rsx has iridium stock
Old 08-31-2006
Registered!!

Gearbox, I looked at the manual and you are right, Dbl Platinium. BUT the guy at Car quest must have screwed up and gave me the Iridium plugs. I remember looking at the box of 4 and said Iridium on them. No wonder they were so much. He felt bad and gave them to me for 8.95/pc instead of 12.95. Good for me! The Iridium numbe is ZFR6FIX-11 and dbl Plat is PZFR6F-11.
Old 09-01-2006
Registered!!

By the way, the plugs that I took out of my car were Bosch Platinum plugs. The previous owner obviously changed them at least once.
Old 09-28-2006
Registered!!

StealthCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
that is why you had the problem man...bosch plugs - no good in our civics! I want all to know my oem double platinum lasted 110,000 miles, just like the manual said, for all you doubters, my car runs smooth and I just changed the plugs at 110,000 to replace with the same oem double platinum ngk's, my old plugs were burnin good as my friend told me (a honda mechanic). So, the point is I am proof the stock plugs (which are platinum ngk's) last 110,000 miles. Why does so many of vic owners doubt the damn manual all the time??
Old 09-30-2006
Registered!!

hwt101 is an unknown quantity at this point
What are the advantages of "double platinum" vs iradiums
Old 09-30-2006
Premium Member

nothing really. those newer tech plugs are just to prolong maintenance intervals.
Old 10-01-2006
Registered!!

DaddyFatSacks is an unknown quantity at this point
So gearbox, i've had a set of DENSO Iridiums in there for a while now, you think I should get some NGK V-Power coopers? From what you read, they give the best performance but need to be changed more often?