Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

2004..Exhaust centre /resonator... Price ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2021
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
danilo1 is an unknown quantity at this point
2004..Exhaust centre /resonator... Price ??

Mine is starting to make noises slight but real something inside of it's OEM resonator can is failing no rattles just louder ex noises before being fully warmed up.
At which point they reduce , albeit not fully .
Clearly I'm due for a fresh centre section ..pipe/resonator can unit... soon. Car has ~50 k miles.
Dealer told me those were 550$ I laughed at him... he didn't take it kindly . Telling me they are durable. I replied with : clearly they are not .
Sooo.. no way in hell I'm paying ~600$ (w taxes) for a crap resonator and a bent piece of waterpipe size tube... to this Dealer.
Cheap *** muffler store /discount aftermarket types typically live 1 or if lucky 2 years. Although they are 100$
Other option is to cut off the Paint can resonator portion and weld in a suitable straight tube..
How much noise will this add ? if any?

Happy to hear of any other reasonably priced solution ??

I have stored a near new oem (take off) muffler as spare. Gawd knows how much the Dealer would charge for that.. 1000$ ??
Old 08-29-2021
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2004..Exhaust centre /resonator... Price ??

Are you referring to the downpipe or the midpipe?

If it's your midpipe, it's just over Honda list price for a new OEM piece (list price for midpipes about $330USD/$420CAD), so about right for dealership prices.

Otherwise, buy a universal resonator for like $100 and have a muffler shop weld it in place for like.. $150.. I believe the OEM exhaust diameter is 1⅞" (47-48mm)
Old 08-29-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,451 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

50k is one thing.
having exhaust parts last as long as 17 years in Vancouver winter with salts and you are complaining about it?
Compare with he "lasts one year parts" you mentioned and think about cost/life...

You are not buying used parts, you are buying new parts, regardless if your car is used or not...
Old 08-29-2021
Registered!!

Thanks for the replies.
Car is in Virtually new condition ...Granma's Kar It gets ~4k /year.
No rust anywhere barely any on the rotors as well.
No salt to speak of in Vancouver Does rain (notably less than Seattle, truth be told)....but that's not an issue .
The resonator Can 'seems' to have lost a baffle or possibly one of it's inner tubes has rotted ? Dunno exactly what .. would need to cut it open to know for sure.
There are NO rust, weld, perforation / burn thru issues visible when closely examined... the entire ex system is pretty well totally rust free
Regardless.. the resonator /paint can thing is on it's way out only unknown is when.
.I wanted to have a replacement solution in hand before it fully fails.

Frankly I'm astounded that the Dealer 's ludicrous price is considered acceptable.

Thank you for the Ex pipe diameter.. Usefull info, saving me having to caliper mine
I will fit a straight tube section in the place of the resonator... without further thought. (have welder)

As for real life pricings reference ; I'm in process of ordering a Full 3" diameter 100% S Steel Cat back Ex system . Including Resonator , Muffler and fittings , again all in SS.. for my Saab. from Maptune Sweden.
Cost is 625 $ cdn ! ....Including FedEx airfreight charges... from Sweden no less !
Genuine reason for my disbelief that a sloppily bent up (no mandrel bends from Honda are there ??) piece of small diameter steel pipe and a goofy can 'resonator ' can be priced at ~500$.
Old 08-29-2021
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

3" is gonna be way too big if you have no intention on throwing turbo or nitrous at it. 2-2.25 is a good size. 60mm (2.36") is probably the largest I'd go on a naturally aspirated D17
Old 08-29-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

again, it it is starting to get issues after 17 years, divide that for the number of years of service... Like yourself said, cheaper ones last a year?
Old 08-29-2021
Registered!!

Time use rationalisations. !? . Really ?
Someone has clearly drunk the Honda Kool Aid.
Erm 3" ex system is for my Saab (did I Mistype?)
It needs 3" for it's 360 ft lb output.
Goes without saying the Honda /acuras' bone stock 1.7 wouldn't know what to do with it.
Old 08-29-2021
Administrator
Administrator

I'm sorry, I missed the part about the Saab. I assumed you were talking about putting a 3" exhaust on your 1.7L civic. That's 100% my fault. But yeah, for a 360ft-lb Saab, go for it with the 3" exhaust, especially at $625CND? That's super cheap!
Old 08-29-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by danilo1
Time use rationalisations. !? . Really ?
Someone has clearly drunk the Honda Kool Aid.
it's called reason ability. paying 500 bucks for a part that lasts longer than a decade is a winner. I wouldn't expect a Mac Donalds to serve me french cuisine...
you get what you pay for most of the cases, save some very good deals.
Nothing to do with Honda, don't put that in my mouth, I will bite it off.

Chill down.
Old 08-29-2021
Registered!!

No worries ..Actually that price is considered passably expensive.. for exhaust.
Given that oem Saab (yess still available) bits run ~300$ for the same parts.
Somewhat explaining my incredulity at 500$+ for essentially a Mickey Rodent bit of tubing with attached Fart can.
Old 09-06-2021
Registered!!

Spent a bit of time searching and found that a Yanako 2.5" Complete Cat back system kit in full mandrel bent SSteel including flanges and fitting hardware is 513$ Cdn ..delivered... to my door.
Might make more noise than the high priced stock Honda 'stuff' . So what :-)
Has to be quieter than rotted out Honda bits.