Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Car making knocking sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2021
Registered!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
IfollowUdie is an unknown quantity at this point
Car making knocking sound

Hey if anyone sees this please if you have any idea what it is just tell me. My engine on start up makes a knocking noise but it doesn't exactly sound like it's coming from the engine itself, almost as if up where the throttle body is. And it begins knocking faster the higher RPM I'm at and seems to stop at about 5k. I ran with bad oil for about 2 weeks because I had to wait til I got paid. But if anyone knows anything I should check (that won't require a TON of work) please let me know... 2005 Honda Civic EX Coupe D17A2
Old 07-20-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,215 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Car making knocking sound

check if the oil filter is still there and that it is tightened (last service done recently is what to check)
Old 07-20-2021
Super Moderator

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,352 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

A video of the sound would be helpful too. I can't hear anything from here.
Old 07-20-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
check if the oil filter is still there and that it is tightened (last service done recently is what to check)
just finished changing and and made it hand tight. I switched to 5W-30 full synthetic high milage Mobil 1 oil about a year and a half ago because it tends to last a bit longer.
Old 07-20-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
A video of the sound would be helpful too. I can't hear anything from here.
how do I add a video to this?
Old 07-20-2021
Super Moderator

BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by IfollowUdie
how do I add a video to this?
Take a video and upload it to YouTube. You can mark it as hidden/private. Then just post a link for us to use.
Old 07-20-2021
Click Here

Received 1,164 Likes on 908 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

Haven’t heard a noise yet, but it could be in desperate need of a valve adjustment
Old 07-20-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,215 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by IfollowUdie
just finished changing and and made it hand tight. I switched to 5W-30 full synthetic high milage Mobil 1 oil about a year and a half ago because it tends to last a bit longer.
?
I thought you had the oil change already and the noise happened after it?

other things to check are engine mounts
Old 07-20-2021
Registered!!

Take a video and upload it to YouTube. You can mark it as hidden/private. Then just post a link for us to use.
it's about to upload. Just look up my name (Austyn Schasteen) you'll see the video there along with RPM
Old 07-21-2021
Super Moderator

Here's a link for everyone else.

Sounds like a possible rod knock. If it is a rod knock you would see metal shavings in the oil like the pic below.

​​​​​​​
Old 07-21-2021
Registered!!

Here's a link for everyone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOP0...ustynSchasteen

Sounds like a possible rod knock. If it is a rod knock you would see metal shavings in the oil like the pic below.

I'll check the oil and see if there are shavings. If I do Absolutely have rod knock,, how long does it have before the engine would blow up?
Old 07-21-2021
Click Here

FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

Pretty tough question to answer because the range is so great. I’d say at best you have 10000-ish miles, but that’s if you baby it. If you catch it quickly enough, the engine is salvageable, so I wouldn’t drive it that much.
Old 07-21-2021
Super Moderator

In my opinion, the engine is already junk. Yes it will run for a bit but at some point it's going to make an unplanned disassembly at the worst time. To properly fix it you'd probably spend just as much as buying a used engine.

Still, check the oil to confirm metal flakes. If they are present you'd want to understand what caused it. Low/no oil, low oil pressure, serious engine overheating, etc.
Old 07-21-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Chezboat24
Pretty tough question to answer because the range is so great. I’d say at best you have 10000-ish miles, but that’s if you baby it. If you catch it quickly enough, the engine is salvageable, so I wouldn’t drive it that much.
luckily I only drive my car like 6 miles a day. I'll start babying it from now on.
Old 07-21-2021
Registered!!

In my opinion, the engine is already junk. Yes it will run for a bit but at some point it's going to make an unplanned disassembly at the worst time. To properly fix it you'd probably spend just as much as buying a used engine.

Still, check the oil to confirm metal flakes. If they are present you'd want to understand what caused it. Low/no oil, low oil pressure, serious engine overheating, etc.
yeah I know the engine is practically garbage it's a D-Series lol so we are on the same page with that. Yeah a uses engine here is a grand and I definitely don't have that kind of money any time soon. I checked my oil a few weeks ago and it was pretty much dry, I put more oil in and hoped it didn't mess anything up. It started making the noise about a month and a half ago if I recall. I thought it was just how my engine sounded based on how I heard it and when. Now it's to the point where anything over 1500 rpm causes the loud knock. But when I stop revving it or going it doing make the noise going back down to idle rpm except for from about 2k to 1500 then it stops making the loud noise and is then quiet. Making the sound sound like the classic honda tick but deeper. I know the engine doesn't overheat (unless my thermostat is faulty) little know oil may have caused it honestly. I got extra conformation on my Instagram when I posted the video you all have probably seen now. They say its rod knock, you guys say it's rod knock and its heart breaking because of how devastating rod knock is to fix
Old 07-21-2021
Click Here

Life lesson: check your oil level every time you gas up
The following users liked this post:
Colin42 (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021
Registered!!

Life lesson: check your oil level every time you gas up
for real
Old 07-22-2021
Super Moderator

I would think you could get a replacement cheaper than $1k but that doesn't include installation.

If you can hear the rod knock anytime above 1,500 RPM I don't think it will last very long even if you baby it. You could try dumping the oil and putting in some really heavy stuff, like 20W50 or something. Definitely not a permanent fix but may lessen damage for now. Could also cause issues with VTEC due to the much heavier oil.
Old 07-22-2021
Click Here

If you like the car enough, I’d try to grab a junkyard engine. Make sure it’s from a totalled car though so it’s more likely to be a good one.
BrotatoChip (07-22-2021)
Old 07-22-2021
Registered!!

I would think you could get a replacement cheaper than $1k but that doesn't include installation.

If you can hear the rod knock anytime above 1,500 RPM I don't think it will last very long even if you baby it. You could try dumping the oil and putting in some really heavy stuff, like 20W50 or something. Definitely not a permanent fix but may lessen damage for now. Could also cause issues with VTEC due to the much heavier oil.
I'm going to try that. Vtec may struggle but thats fine
Old 07-22-2021
Registered!!

If you like the car enough, I’d try to grab a junkyard engine. Make sure it’s from a totalled car though so it’s more likely to be a good one.
I work for lithia so I'm gonna see how much honda charges for a brand new engine first, if it's too much yeah ill use B n R to get one outta a wrecked car
Old 07-22-2021
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,161 Likes on 972 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

A brand new engine will be worth like 5 times the value of the car
BrotatoChip (07-22-2021)