Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

EVAP issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FirstCIVIC2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
EVAP issues

Hi,

I have a 2001 Honda Civic and the engine light is on. I tested the codes and I have two P1457 codes, one is on and one is pending. Is there anything easy I can try first. I've tightened the gas cap multiple times. I don't know if this is related, but could my carbon canister be bad from toping off the tank?

How do I go about fixing this code?

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,138 Likes on 952 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: EVAP issues

Do you live in an area with rust?
Old 08-07-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

If your pulling the gas nozzle out to keep filling the pipe all the way to the top then yes you may be causing problems for the EVAP canister.

More commonly the small bit of metal holding the plastic sensor to the plastic canister rusts and creates a leak.

Overall is a extremely easy item to pull out and inspect, hard part is safely getting car high enough to get all the way under there.
Old 08-07-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Do you live in an area with rust?
Yes, I have some surface rust under there.

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
If your pulling the gas nozzle out to keep filling the pipe all the way to the top then yes you may be causing problems for the EVAP canister.

More commonly the small bit of metal holding the plastic sensor to the plastic canister rusts and creates a leak.

Overall is a extremely easy item to pull out and inspect, hard part is safely getting car high enough to get all the way under there.
Well, I haven't been toping off the gas tank. I'm not sure about the previous owner though.

Yeah, there is some rust under there. Can you direct me to a video/pic to do what you said? What part is it exactly?
Old 08-07-2019
Super Moderator

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,335 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Check this thread.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...dtc-codes.html
Old 08-07-2019
Registered!!

Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Old 08-07-2019
Registered!!

Bah, lost all my text when I inserted the picture.

Thats what the system looks like without rust. “my spare”

If that steel hold down plate rusts, it swells and things go bad from there.
If it’s rusted looking then definitely remove the whole assembly and do a soap solution / blow test to observe if you can see bubbles around that valve.
Old 08-20-2019
Registered!!

So I did a smoke test without taking the canister out and the rusted area around the box is leaking. Do I need to buy a whole new canister or can I just replace that part?
Old 08-20-2019
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
bbynams has a spectacular aura aboutbbynams has a spectacular aura aboutbbynams has a spectacular aura about

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...evap-code.html

Good morning! If I remember correctly, that little "C" hose clip + bracket is in the way and uses the same screws as the vent. The 12 mm bolt holding it on is probably rusted too. Everything else you should be able to reuse unless the vent has been rusted open/shut for a very long time, in which case you're looking at replacing the canister as well. Mine has worked out fine. There's a couple places that sell everything.
Old 08-20-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by bbynams
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...evap-code.html

Good morning! If I remember correctly, that little "C" hose clip + bracket is in the way and uses the same screws as the vent. The 12 mm bolt holding it on is probably rusted too. Everything else you should be able to reuse unless the vent has been rusted open/shut for a very long time, in which case you're looking at replacing the canister as well. Mine has worked out fine. There's a couple places that sell everything.
I'm trying to get the whole canister out so I can work on the rusted box. I'm having a lot of trouble getting the 12mm bolt out. I guess I'll keep trying.
Old 08-20-2019
Registered!!

Just to clarify, you only need to remove 1 12mm bolt then the whole assembly drops and you pull it outwards off a tab on the mounting bracket. Indeed trying to remove the entire bracket with canister attached would be challenging .

That bolt is between the valve and a plastic box on one end of the canister holding it to the bracket, just shine a flashlight up and it’s right there.

6-12 inch extension and a 12mm socket is all you need.
Old 08-20-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Just to clarify, you only need to remove 1 12mm bolt then the whole assembly drops and you pull it outwards off a tab on the mounting bracket. Indeed trying to remove the entire bracket with canister attached would be challenging .

That bolt is between the valve and a plastic box on one end of the canister holding it to the bracket, just shine a flashlight up and it’s right there.

6-12 inch extension and a 12mm socket is all you need.
Got it off! The 12mm bolt was extremely rusted. I got the rusted box(valve) off as well.

Do I need to worry about changing out the charcoal?
Old 08-21-2019
Registered!!

Don’t mess with the charcoal unless your replacing the canister,

I hooked a raft inflator pump up to my spare and let it blow through it for a day to clear it out.
I swear it lost a pound or two in weight.

While it’s intended to trap gas fumes, I think it also traps water vapor.

More than once I have put a flame to that charcoal stuff and even though it smelled like gas, it had a really hard time to ignite,
Old 08-21-2019
Registered!!

Ok, so I'm not touching the canister. Valve is coming tomorrow so I'll let you know what happens.