Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

99 Civic SI Smells like gas

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rsolis94 is an unknown quantity at this point
99 Civic SI Smells like gas

I recently had to replace my gas tank because it was leaking. I had my friend who works at the a Honda dealership replace it for me. A few days later I filled the tank and made the inside of the car smell like gas. I didn't spill any gas so I know it wasn't from that. Also I got a check engine light. I scanned the code and its a code for the EVAP system. I took it my friend who replaced my tank and he said that it was the gas cap that was causing the check engine light to come on. We replaced the gas cap and he ran an EVAP test to see it would pass and it didn't pass it. Any ideas as to why my car smells like gas after I fill up? Also could my check engine light be related to the smell?
Old 01-05-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 99 Civic SI Smells like gas

I scanned the code and its a code for the EVAP system.
Which code?

Any ideas as to why my car smells like gas after I fill up? Also could my check engine light be related to the smell?
Yes, and absolutely yes.
We replaced the gas cap and he ran an EVAP test to see it would pass and it didn't pass it.
The gas cap didn't fix it, it wasn't the gas cap.

It's a leak. A real problem.

.....replace it for me.
You say these problems started with the tank replacement, logic says something isn't "right" with the install.

and he ran an EVAP test to see it would pass and it didn't pass it.
Your 'friend' is the one that was in the position to figure out what was wrong right then.
(Gas cap can't fix all EVAP codes, and I hope that isn't a regular occurrence that happens to customers there.)

Your 'friend' needs to find and fix the apparent mistake(s) he made during the install and finish the job. Complete with a recheck of the EVAP self test (call it a "function Test" in front of him, that's what it's called on the scanner menu.)

Too many possibilities, I don't even want to guess.
I wonder if there would be fresh gas stains where it leaked?
Hose(s) left undone/not tight/wrong places?
Pump not sealed (didn't get a fresh gasket)?

Old 01-06-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rsolis94 is an unknown quantity at this point

The code I got was P1456. Is there anything in specific that he should check? Also, I forgot to mention that after I replaced the gas tank I went to fill it up. I put the pump in and left it pumping on its own and it didn't stop on its own. It began to spill from under my car. I've read that the pump has the mechanism that prevents it from spilling but could somehow an improperly installed gas tank cause that to happen?
Old 01-06-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The code I got was P1456
Tank half of the system, expected that.

Is there anything in specific that he should check?
Yeah. Everything he touched, and everything near that.

You said your friend works for a dealer. What does he do there, change tires or what?
Take the car back to him, let him figure it out.

it didn't stop on its own. It began to spill from under my car.
It didn't belch all over the side of the car?

SOMEONE needs to figure out where the leak is.

Your installer should have the best idea of what it might be. Not me.
Wait, forget the word idea. Your installer should be able to DIAGNOSE and REPAIR the problem.