Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Full tank follies

Old 07-27-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Miklay is an unknown quantity at this point
Full tank follies

Hi all, new to the forum and new to Civics. I found a 94 civic ex (vtec) with very little miles on it for the year (50k) so I jumped on it (for very little). Now it is time to fix an ill that I have never experienced before being a lifetime Ford guy.
When I fill the tank all the way the car hesitates and stutters severely around 2.5rpm along with the smell of gas inside the cabin and all around.

I checked everywhere and have no leaks in the tank. I have zero problems whatsoever if I keep the tank just under full but the recent smell of gas is disconcerting. Any ideas as to where I should continue my investigation?

I was thinking possibly too high fuel pressure when the tank is full causing me to run rich but wanted to bounce it off some people with a little more experience with these machines. The problem does go away after a half hour of running the car (so about a half a gallon shy of a full tank) at which point the car runs like a champ. I have heard of cars sputtering when the tank is less than half, but not when full.

Thanks all,
-Mike
Old 07-27-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Full tank follies

A smell of gas with no visible leak could be an EVAP problem. Check all the hoses for the EVAP.
Old 07-28-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

prolly a ruined charcoal canister causing gas vapors to escape (due to constant topping off at fillup time).
Old 07-29-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kellogg6316 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have same car and had smell when i filled it up . turns out I had a small hole on top to the tank. it tends to rust more up there becouse it doesn't dry out as quick. I you fill it up , then pull the back seat, open covering and smell in there...
Old 07-29-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the tank is plastic, so i assume you mean the fuel tank cover under the back seat is rusted?