Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Oil leak. Need some help. 2004 civic coupe

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2019
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
moorebl is an unknown quantity at this point
Oil leak. Need some help. 2004 civic coupe

I have an oil leave comming from the upper between the motor and the trans where they meet. I have changed and re checked the plug and it’s dry as can be behind or in the vicinity of the Egr. Not overheating. Has 175k. Could the rear main seep from the upper location not sure. Please point me in the right direction.

The following users liked this post:
ThaChad (11-28-2022)
Old 07-27-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: Oil leak. Need some help. 2004 civic coupe

That’s way too clean to be a active leak above the joint.

The only time I have seen “oil” seep out of the top of the bell housing was when a torque converter cracked and just sprayed all the transmission fluid out coating the cracks so much they looked similar to that except all the way around and transmission fluid was dripping out bottom.

Pretty easy to pull the starter out and find out if it’s covered in something. Technically bottom access plate is easier, but pulling all stuff off to get to starter will help your field of view of everything it’s more likely to be.
Old 07-28-2019
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
moorebl is an unknown quantity at this point

It’s motor oil not trans fluid though
ThaChad (11-28-2022)
Old 07-28-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Exactly, I don’t expect your going to find the rear main seal capable of leaking in manner that results in the oil flinging around.
ThaChad (11-28-2022)
Old 11-28-2022
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ThaChad is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same issue. Was there ever a solution?
Old 11-29-2022
Super Moderator

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,335 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Probably the cam plug.
Old 11-29-2022
Registered!!

It has a new head gasket, cam seal and cam plug. Still very slowly seeping oil out of the same part of bellhousing as in the pic.
Old 11-29-2022
Super Moderator

BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Valve cover gasket, VTEC solenoid if you have one.
Old 11-29-2022
Registered!!

Valve cover gasket is also new. But the V-Tec solenoid is not. But the oil isn't on the back side. It's on the opposite side of the V-Tec.
Old 11-29-2022
Super Moderator

There are not many sources of oil that high up on the passenger side. I'm spit balling here. Are you positive it's oil and not coolant?

Clean it really well then try to pinpoint where it's coming from. Post of pictures.
Old 11-29-2022
Registered!!

Definitely oil. Not trans fluid or coolant.
I just replaced the head gasket and all, this past weekend. Fired it back up yesterday afternoon for the first time again. And once it reached running temp. Started leaking at the bell housing again. Im lost now 🤷‍♂️ No oil source up that high. Other than the things we have mentioned already. And I cleaned and checked all across the very top of bell housing at bottom of head and everything was dry. Makes no sense to me. And would never imagine rear main seal could sling oil that bad. And still even exist at all lol.
Old 11-29-2022
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,139 Likes on 953 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

I'd still lean towards vtec solenoid. I've also seen it leak oil at the head gasket, but that's very rare
BrotatoChip (11-30-2022)
Old 02-02-2023
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nimblemotors is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same problem. The valve cover gasket was replaced and there does not appear to be anything leaking unless its in the back where I can't see it.
I have read all about the cam plug leaking, and so I cleaned it all up and replaced it, and no oil coming from it. Then the vtec seal is the next suspect, but it is in the back, but I went ahead and replaced it,
and still no luck, there is oil coming out at that corner. It seems the only option left is the head gasket? Lots of work to replace that, so I'm looking for any suggestions.
Eric video shows it leaking, but it leaks from behind the exhaust manifold where the oil return holes are in the head(gasket) so if I remove the exhaust manifold, should see it leaking there?
It must run down along the head gasket to the back corner.

It is defintely oil. I just bought this car.

Appreciate any input and updates. So many threads people just disappear and no resolution of their issues.
AshleyB (08-10-2023)
Old 02-18-2023
Registered!!

TinyTiger is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you replace both gaskets for the solenoid or just the larger of the two?
Old 02-18-2023
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TinyTiger
Did you replace both gaskets for the solenoid or just the larger of the two?
"Then the vtec seal is the next suspect, but it is in the back, but I went ahead and replaced it,"

The one on top was not leaking, no evidence whatsoever that oil came from there.
I removed the exhaust manifold and it looked like oil was coming from the valve cover gasket. So I replaced that too,
and while it is better, it still has drip coming from that spot. The head gasket is really the only thing left, but its not bad enough to do all the work,
the mess in the engine seems to be from previous leaks.
Old 02-19-2023
Registered!!

TinyTiger is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nimblemotors
"Then the vtec seal is the next suspect, but it is in the back, but I went ahead and replaced it,"

The one on top was not leaking, no evidence whatsoever that oil came from there.
I removed the exhaust manifold and it looked like oil was coming from the valve cover gasket. So I replaced that too,
and while it is better, it still has drip coming from that spot. The head gasket is really the only thing left, but its not bad enough to do all the work,
the mess in the engine seems to be from previous leaks.
That's good I guess, only reason I asked is because I was having the same exact leak you had posted in the original picture and chased it down for months before realizing it was the vtec solenoid after all. Drips down the front and back and pools on the bell housing, thought it was rear main at first. Anyways, good luck brother I hope you get her situated.
Old 02-19-2023
Registered!!

I agree that was a good guess on the source and why I replaced it.
I also shoved a papertowel in that area to see if it would soak up any oil, and to my surprise it did not seem to find any, indicating
the oil is coming from the front and running down to the back of the engine via the slight gap between head and block where the headgasket is.