Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2014 fluid leak 3K miles :(

Old 11-11-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dariusld is an unknown quantity at this point
2014 fluid leak 3K miles :(

I went to change my oil and noticed oil around the transmission drain plug, not coming from the plug though. Not a lot, I just like a clean engine. Took it to the dealer and they said it was just extra residual. Googled it and found exactly the same leak with the same response from their dealer, but theirs was an 13. http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/C...oil_leak.shtml Anyone else with a similar leak?
Old 11-11-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2014 fluid leak 3K miles :(

I would clean it up (should be pretty easy with simple green or IPA) Easy to wipe areas.

Then keep an eye on it. You have it documented at dealer, and plenty of time to resolve.
Old 11-11-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

When the cars are brand new, fresh off the car haulers, they might have a drip or two on the bottom of the engine/trans areas, it gets there during the build and assembly processes.

Seems like most drips I noticed were around where the bellhousing meets the engine.

I used to clean it off when I noticed it, but ever since Honda started installing those aerodynamic splash panels under the car, it's much harder to notice if there are any drips hanging there without removing the access panel.

The drips may still be there at the first oil change, and if I notice it I try to clean them off.
I know not everyone does this though, and sometimes I don't notice it either.
Old 03-27-2015
Registered!!

My son came over to change the oil in his Civic, exactly the same as mine. He has the the same leak as mine. I wonder how many 2014's have this leak?
Old 03-27-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Was there an actual leak on your car, or was it just assembly drips at the bellhousing?

Did you wipe it off as suggested? Has it returned?

Re: Your sons car
2014 = WARRANTY

I've seen a couple now with actual leaks from the oil separator cover on the back of the block.....reseal the cover.... takes a little time to do and needs to sit to cure before running it.
Old 03-28-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Was there an actual leak on your car, or was it just assembly drips at the bellhousing?

Did you wipe it off as suggested? Has it returned?

When I got back from the dealer with mine, I recleaned their not so cleaning of the area. A couple of months later I rechecked the area for oil and it was there again, very minimal amount. I don't care if my engine isn't sparkling, I'm just worried about the long term. I've owned other brand new Honda's, all with sparkling engine bays with 60K miles,let alone 3K.
Old 03-28-2015

I can only suggest to return to your dealer until you are satisfied.

Since I regularly deal with stuff like this, I know it's very difficult to be positive there is a real leak from within the bellhousing area on a fairly new car, as the bellhousing area acts sort of bowl-like and any fluid that may have been spilled during assembly can take a long darn time to come out (assuming there is no active leak from a real source inside the area).

Since you cannot see inside the bellhousing area you really can't be sure there is any active leak at all unless it's actually coming out at a rate fast enough to identify....

Another problem is trying to identify which component a leak would be originating from, engine or transmission: The new CVT fluid is pretty close to the same color as engine oil now, it's not using red ATF anymore. Very difficult, if not impossible, to discern any difference between the two if you can't actually see where it came from.

IMO:
If the drips you see are slowing down (rate OR time span), it still could be leftover from assembly and slowly oozing out.
If the drips you see are not decreasing in any way then you could have a slow but active leak.

If it were in my bay and I wasn't absolutely positive about a leak, I'd probably remove all access and inspection covers, wash the area with brake cleaner, wash as much of the area inside the bellhousing as I can reach, and dry it, then apply white powder (leak tracing agent) to the area to help (hopefully) indicate a leak source during the next inspection interval..

HTH
Old 03-28-2015
Registered!!

I really appreciate all responses. And Thank You ezone for your insight.