Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

TDC is this how it looks like?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
elfred is an unknown quantity at this point
TDC is this how it looks like?

Hi Civic forums!

So I am doing timing belt ,ac/ps belts water pump and tensioner replacement.

Little that I know that when pull all the belts but done TDC prior, so I forgot to pull the spark plug off, silly for an hour and an hour doing TDC agains compression( is this bad? idk) just only now that I realized that I have to make sure if #1 cylinder is on top dead center, so I make a lengthwise 4 rolls of paper and stick it in each spark plug hole.

Is this how it looks like if properly TDC it, btw I have already pull all the belts and pulleys and crank sprocket.

Need you guys a awesome advice please.

Thank you in advance!!!

Last edited by elfred; 03-12-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-12-2019
Super Moderator

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,335 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: TDC is this how it looks like?

Yes but you need to be more accurate. Look on the end of the camshaft sprocket, there should be two lines that you need to match up with the head and then another mark that says "UP". Step 13 in the DIY link below explains it as well.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...t-diy-2-a.html
Old 03-12-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
Yes but you need to be more accurate. Look on the end of the camshaft sprocket, there should be two lines that you need to match up with the head and then another mark that says "UP". Step 13 in the DIY link below explains it as well.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...t-diy-2-a.html

Hello Brotato!

Thank you for the reply!

Yeah I did that already before I pulled the old timing belt, all marked on engine and on both cam and crank sprocket are TDC correctly.

It is just that I forgot to pulled the four spark plug, so silly me of doing TDC procedure agains compression, would this be bad?

Is there any procedure to confirm TDC on this cam and crankshaft sprocket ? or is this all?

Thanks in advance!!!

cheers!!!

ELFred
Old 03-13-2019
Super Moderator

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,335 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Ok, so you have the camshaft at TDC. You can use your method to get the crankshaft at TDC as well but if it were me I'd put the lower timing belt cover back on then slide the pulley over top. The picture below shows timing marks on the cover and crankshaft pulley that should line up.

Old 03-13-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
Ok, so you have the camshaft at TDC. You can use your method to get the crankshaft at TDC as well but if it were me I'd put the lower timing belt cover back on then slide the pulley over top. The picture below shows timing marks on the cover and crankshaft pulley that should line up.

Nice awesome thanks, Smart! I'll do that.

Cheers!

ELFred