Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

D17A1 with vtec top cover?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SmokinBubba is an unknown quantity at this point
D17A1 with vtec top cover?

I was given an 05 ex coupe se with something funny going on. It is a D17A1 block with the plastic cover on head that says vtec. Seems odd to me since this isnt supposed to exist. Motor was swapped recently and not completed. Upon completion, its in limp mode with issues. Car was a egr cali compliant, swap is a non egr A1. What confuses me is the head badge. Scratching head. Any ideas how this happeded? Head swap? So confused.

Last edited by SmokinBubba; 01-04-2019 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 01-04-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: D17A1 with vtec top cover?

Like the little plastic coil cover?
Probably came from the original engine and was slapped on because the swapped engine didn't come with it.
It's in limp mode because it's a VTEC car with a non VTEC engine
Old 01-04-2019
Registered!!

Forgot to mention, i supplied motor for swap, not realizing it was an A1 since it had a vtec badge on the head. So both original and swap motor had the vtec badge. Im thinking none of this mattrrs since anti freeze is bubbling out of open radiator so i think it too has a bad head gasket. The original had a bad gasket with an external leak. Any way to tell what head is on this motor? It is a PMR-HA-7
Old 01-04-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

open the valve cover on both engines and compare. VTEC have much more complicated arms
Old 01-04-2019
Registered!!

Unfortunately original engine was scraped. Not real happy about that right now. Egr to non egr swap isnt working so well. Plus A2 to A1 is making my hair turn real gray. Should have fixed the original engine. Would have been ahead. Thats how we learn right?
Old 01-04-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Does the new head have the vtec solenoid on it?
You could have made the new engine have egr, just needed to swap some parts over
Old 01-04-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

huh, if you had kept the original head, you could have simply installed it and gone around the ECU asking for a VTEC (in case your current one is not a VTEC head).

this below is VTEC rocker arms
Attachment 100366

the ones below are the lobes for one cyclinder - there will be 4 of them in a VTEC camshaft.
If yours have only 2 lobes, it's a non-VTEC camshaft. If it have 3 lobes per cylinder, it's a VTEC camshaft.

Attachment 100774
Old 01-04-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Does the new head have the vtec solenoid on it?
You could have made the new engine have egr, just needed to swap some parts over
i dont remember seeing one... i think the po of the donor car put the plastic cover on it just to screw with a dumb dumb like me. It worked! Im thinking of starting over. Pull out the a1 (after i determine it has a bad hg) and put in a A2 egr engine. I have my eye on one at my supplier i can get for dirt cheap/free. Chalk this up as an expensive lesson.
Old 01-04-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
huh, if you had kept the original head, you could have simply installed it and gone around the ECU asking for a VTEC (in case your current one is not a VTEC head).

this below is VTEC rocker arms
Attachment 100366

the ones below are the lobes for one cyclinder - there will be 4 of them in a VTEC camshaft.
If yours have only 2 lobes, it's a non-VTEC camshaft. If it have 3 lobes per cylinder, it's a VTEC camshaft.

Attachment 100774
yep, even better, if i still had the original motor, i would b replacing the hg, mill head, swap back in!

i guess i could pull this A1 head, replace with a reman A2 head, get a EGR thermostat housing and im gasket, plug everything in and go with it. That way, i dont have to pull 2 engines.
Old 01-05-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

yes. That would also avoid you needing to find another ECU and programming your keys to the ECU