Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Water pump - broken bolt. Need help getting access

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013
2001 Civic LX Sedan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Biscuit will become famous soon enoughBiscuit will become famous soon enough
Re: Water pump - broken bolt. Need help getting access

The easiest way to remove that bolt shaft is to use a long, sharp, chisel or a sharpened flathead screwdiver and a hammer to drive the shaft counter clockwise. The bolt diameter being so small should be a VERY easy removal.

Nathan
Old 03-05-2013
Registered!!

civicron is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all of the replies. I %#@*ed with this for about a week before giving up and having a shop remove the bolt. $140 + towing fees later, I'm back on the road.

Oh well, I'll know better for my 200k mile timing belt replacement.
Old 04-12-2019
Registered!!

Gage Chambley is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by civicron
I'm replacing the timing belt / water pump in my 2004 civic ex coupe. Everything was going swimmingly until one of my water pump bolts snapped with the threads in the block.

It was a very clean break, no bits hanging off to grab with pliers so I think I'm going to have to use a bolt extractor to get this thing out. The only problem is there's absolutely no way i can get a drill bit in there right now since the wheel well is blocking access.

My question is whether there's a relatively easy way to lower the engine a couple of inches just so I can gain access to the water pump. Specifically, which mounts to loosen, where/how to support the engine, etc. For what it's worth, it's the lower left bolt if you're looking at the water pump dead on through the wheel well.

Right now the front left motor mount is off with the engine supported by jackstand/wooden blocks under the oil pan. If there's not an easy way to do this, I've considered boring a hole in the wheel well metal and gaining access this way then just placing some sort of rubber grommet in there or something to plug up the hole.

Any ideas or suggestions that will save me towing this thing to the shop are greatly appreciated!
Your going to have to drop that k frame that holds the motoer and trans up. There are only 4 bolts that hold the frame up there. If you only have one jack like i do your gonna have to support the car with some bricks but the bricks cant be touching the k frame. Depending on which bolt will depend if you have to drop the motor all the way or not. I broke my bottom bolt and only had to drop one side of the k frame... Also unbolt the front motor mount and unbolt the trans mount but leave at least one nut on there so it cant just fall to the ground. Its a pain but its possible.
Old 04-12-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

@Gage Chambley post is from 2013, lol.
Old 04-12-2019
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mac25
@Gage Chambley post is from 2013, lol.
was going to reply and say the same but couldn't be bothered