Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Belt tensioner bolt stripped 2007 Civic lx

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pi653 is an unknown quantity at this point
Belt tensioner bolt stripped 2007 Civic lx

Hello,
i was attempting to rebuild my account compressor and I decided I should change my water pump. I figured it would be pretty easy with everything already removed but the tnesioner bolt in the middle of the belt tensioner (on the lower left part of the water pump) was stripped pretty much completely. There is enough room to get the socket wrench with the 8mm hex head up there but no room for anything else (like 3-4 inches clearence top). Anyone have any ideas how I could get it off?
Old 05-14-2018
Registered!!

2007 Honda Civic stripped tensioner pulley bolt.

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me out.
I was rebuilding my a/c compressor when i decided i should swap my water pump because it was making a bit of a grind when i spun the pulley/wheel. Only thing is, to remove the water pump i have to get the tensioner completely removed and the bolt that holds the tensioner on (8mm hex bolt is completely stipped. I got an allen wrench and a socket with an 8mm hex head to fit in but they spin around pretty easily. There is only about 4 inches between the frame of the car and the bolt so i dont have very much room to work with. anyone have any ideas? I really dont want to drop the engine for 1 bolt.
Old 05-14-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Belt tensioner bolt stripped 2007 Civic lx

Might want to reevaluate the need for replacing the water pump?

FWIW they have had a very low failure rate in my corner of the woods, as long as the OE spec coolant is used. I've replaced more engine blocks than water pumps LOL
Old 05-14-2018
Registered!!

Re: Belt tensioner bolt stripped 2007 Civic lx

Originally Posted by ezone
Might want to reevaluate the need for replacing the water pump?

FWIW they have had a very low failure rate in my corner of the woods, as long as the OE spec coolant is used. I've replaced more engine blocks than water pumps LOL
That might be the best option. it has 190000 on it and im taking it across the country so i figured i should, but i might just forget about it and see what happens.