Electrical Post your questions about electrical issues here!

02 speedometer quit

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2022
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deereman is an unknown quantity at this point
02 speedometer quit

I changed the vss. Verified voltage, ground and with wheels turning varified signal voltage at the vss. Still no odometer movement or Speedometer movement. Mileage does read but doesn't change. I swapped out the guage cluster with my parts civic and no change. The pin on the green plug at the cluster reads the same voltage on the pin at the ecu. 4.7 volts with key on. Isn't this voltage supposed to be 0 and increase as the cars speed increases? Does signal wire go to ecu then instrument panel? Or where and what do i need to check?? Sometimes it has a cel for vss and sometimes it doesn't. Cruise button has power on left side by your knee but nothing in the dash. All other guages and tach work as normal.
Old 01-29-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: 02 speedometer quit

Originally Posted by Deereman
Sometimes it has a cel for vss and sometimes it doesn't.
you have a short somewhere, chase it
Old 01-31-2022
Super Moderator

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,321 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

VSS signal is a 0-5V square wave. Something like 4,000 pulses per mile.

If you have a scanner that will show you live data read the vehicle speed from the ECU while driving. See if it shows the correct speed or 0 like the cluster.
Old 01-31-2022
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
VSS signal is a 0-5V square wave. Something like 4,000 pulses per mile.

If you have a scanner that will show you live data read the vehicle speed from the ECU while driving. See if it shows the correct speed or 0 like the cluster.
The obd says 0 just like the cluster.
Old 01-31-2022
Super Moderator

BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

The VSS signal is either shorted like mentioned above, or the VSS is not outputting anything.
Old 01-31-2022
Registered!!

I pobed the wires at the vss and the signal wire reads voltage as the wheels turns. Where does that wire go first? To the ecu then to the cluster i assume??
Old 01-31-2022
Super Moderator

It goes to a splice pack in the engine harness I believe. From there one lead goes to the ECU and the other to the cluster. Check continuity from the VSS connector to the cluster to verify no broken wire.
Old 01-31-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Deereman
I pobed the wires at the vss and the signal wire reads voltage as the wheels turns. Where does that wire go first? To the ecu then to the cluster i assume??
My scangauge gets the speed from the ECU, so ECU is in the middle