Electrical Post your questions about electrical issues here!

Cruise control switch not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OKCEM2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cruise control switch not working

Back story. Had an aftermarket steering wheel installed for years. Removed to put back to stock. Reinstalled clockspring and all necessary components. No cruise, no horn and the cruise switch does not illuminate and no cruise. Is there a secondary fuse or relay controlling this? There is no audible click of horn relay from the fuse box either. What am i missing? Thx in advance
Old 06-03-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: Cruise control switch not working

No relay for the horn, maybe you shorted out the horn wire and you just need to replace the fuse?
Old 06-03-2019
Registered!!

Thx for the response. Fuse is good. Swapped relays. No go. Just strange that both cruise and horn do not work. Even the cruise switch on the dash does not light up to signal power. I’ll try and diagnose more tomorrow.
Old 06-03-2019
Registered!!

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts
bachands is just really nicebachands is just really nicebachands is just really nicebachands is just really nice

I have access to the electrical schematic for the horn and CC circuit on AllData and thought I could be of help...

If you own a 4-door, there is a fuse that is upstream of both these circuits. It is the No. 7 fuse. It is a 15A fuse and is located in the Under-hood Fuse/Relay Box.

Hope this helps But if that is the HORN fuse then nevermind.
Old 06-03-2019
Registered!!

bachands is just really nicebachands is just really nicebachands is just really nicebachands is just really nice

Well, I'll let you look for yourself
Attached Files
Old 06-04-2019
Registered!!

Appreciate the help. Basically stock coupe with minor mods
Old 06-04-2019
Registered!!

After looking at both schemtatics (2-dr vs 4-dr) and comparing, they're pretty much the same. So the attached schematic above should be accurate enough for your purposes.

Let us know if you figure it out.
Old 06-05-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

No cruise, no horn and the cruise switch does not illuminate and no cruise.
Probably broke the clockspring.
Old 06-05-2019
Registered!!

Thx for the responses fellas. I haven’t gotten back to the issue because I’ve been putting the front end back together. I hope to get the multimeter to it tomorrow if the rain stays away.

The clockspring should be fine because it was taken off and stored in a box until now. However anything is possible. I’ll check continuity and everything. Thx again
Old 06-06-2019
Super Moderator

Received 1,853 Likes on 1,303 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

If the clockspring is removed you have to be very careful not to turn it at all. If you remove the clockspring, turn it a full revolution or two, then reinstall the clockspring will break when you turn your steering wheel in the same direction. Seems how it was removed in the first place I would find it very likely it is broken.
Old 06-06-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
If the clockspring is removed you have to be very careful not to turn it at all. If you remove the clockspring, turn it a full revolution or two, then reinstall the clockspring will break when you turn your steering wheel in the same direction. Seems how it was removed in the first place I would find it very likely it is broken.
I see. I realize the sensitivity of the unit. However I can’t be certain it wasn’t damaged. I’ll hunt for a new one. Would this likely be the source as to why the cc switch light doesn’t not illuminate? It seems to me that the switch will always have power. Just not the hand controls on the steering wheel due to a damaged clockspring. Thx again
Old 06-06-2019
Super Moderator

BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

From the schematic I see as long as fuse 4 is ok the cruise main switch should work though it is possible the bulb has burned out. Did you plug in all connectors in the steering wheel? Should be one for the airbag, one for the cruise buttons, and one for the horn. If the clockspring is broken I would expect your SRS light to be on as well, is it?

If you have a meter now would be the time to start checking continuity through the clockspring.
Old 06-06-2019
Registered!!

From the schematic I see as long as fuse 4 is ok the cruise main switch should work though it is possible the bulb has burned out. Did you plug in all connectors in the steering wheel? Should be one for the airbag, one for the cruise buttons, and one for the horn. If the clockspring is broken I would expect your SRS light to be on as well, is it?

If you have a meter now would be the time to start checking continuity through the clockspring.
Yeah all plugs are good. Everything is back to normal minus the function lol. SRS light is on but I do have aftermarket seats and harnesses, which will be converted back to stock before long. I can’t remember if the seat sensor plug trips the SRS.

Once the rain finally stops here in OKC I’m going to get the meter out. The whole state of OK is freaking flooded. So much rain it’s ridiculous...

Last edited by OKCEM2; 06-06-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-06-2019
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by OKCEM2
I can’t remember if the seat sensor plug trips the SRS.
Yes it does. I'm leaning towards a broken clockspring and a burned out main cruise indicator.

Originally Posted by OKCEM2
So much rain it’s ridiculous...
Join the club. My yard has had standing water every day this year lol.
Old 06-06-2019
Registered!!

From the schematic I see as long as fuse 4 is ok the cruise main switch should work though it is possible the bulb has burned out.
This was my thought as well. I was thinking: Do you keep the switch ON all the time? If so, then there's a good chance that bulb is just burned out.

To test this, you could remove the CC switch from the driver's pocket, remove the lower socket/bulb (the one with green bulb cover), plug the switch back in and turn it ON, then measure the voltage at the two copper contacts. If there is voltage there then then it is working and the bulb just needs to be replaced.

If you need to replace the bulb, see my DIY here for more info:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4745765