Electrical Post your questions about electrical issues here!

Install DRL on US model

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
andrewjcm is an unknown quantity at this point
Install DRL on US model

My wife imported her car into Canada when she immigrated and in order to get it onto the road, it has to have Daytime Running Lights.

It's a 2003 Honda Civic EX Coup 1.7

I managed to snag a DRL unit from the U-Pull place however when I went to look under the dash to put it in, the harness does not have a plug for a DRL unit.

I've checked the manual and everything, anything relating to a DRL module says "Canadian Cars Only" and this has been zero help to me. I don't want to have to buy a kit to install some extra lights onto her car, so I was wondering if there was any way I could wire up the DRL that I have to the current system or if I'm stuck having to buy a kit. I also can't find any information online for any type of modification that would allow me to install this unit.

If there's any other solutions out there to get daytime running lights, I'm welcoming any suggestions.
Old 06-07-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Install DRL on US model

Look in this thread for a PDF to download the factory service manual, it will have wiring diagrams in it. Go to the last page and work your way back

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic/235295-looking-7th-gen-manual-free-updated.html

And then start contacting local yards to see if they have any cars you can pull the dash harness from. They probably won't pull it for you since it will be pretty labour intensive
Old 06-07-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

I would consider going back to the pick a part yard and remove the complete harness and instrument cluster.

Then I would simply install a adapter kit for far less hassle.

I would be surprised if both headlights were factory fully independently wired on non drl cars as that alone would be a few cents more times millions of cars wasted and Honda does not waste anything.
Old 06-07-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

when i was in Canada, the Hamsar unit said to install them on the fog lights, not the headlights, so they will be different than an OE unit also
Old 06-08-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
when i was in Canada, the Hamsar unit said to install them on the fog lights, not the headlights, so they will be different than an OE unit also
This is a good idea, throw in a set of fog lights and then run it with a relay so that whenever the parking brake is down and ignition is on they come on just like the DRLs