Canada East Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, PEI, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland

rust (with pic)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2003
i want a baby hummer :)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
babychai is an unknown quantity at this point
they told me that if i'm not satisfied with this then they can get an job order down to repaint the entire trunk...

but they told me that the reason why there was rust in the first place is because some dust particle got in the way of the painting and thus created the rust spot...

they say that they can't guarantee that there would be no dust when they repaint the trunk...chances are there might be even more

any advice on what to do now? just leave it be and wait and see or ask them to repaint the trunk?

i have like 2 years worth of warranty left..
Old 05-24-2003
BAD MON

Booohahaha is an unknown quantity at this point
this is fawking BS. i took my car back for warranty work and i never got a rental!!!!
Old 05-24-2003
Registered!!

draven is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know why it started rusting in the first place, but a dust particle getting in the way of the paint should create an imperfection in the paint, not rust...

I'd say get it repainted since its obviously still rusting... you have nothing to lose and everything to gain... if more "dust particles" get in the way when they repaint the trunk I'll do it myself...
Old 05-24-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by Booohahaha
this is fawking BS. i took my car back for warranty work and i never got a rental!!!!
thats cause you're a guy... in this case you need to give them some "extra persuasion"...
Old 05-24-2003
BAD MON

*sigh*
hmm... ur right. next time ill remember to shave both my chin and legs
hahahaha
but seriously i never got a rental and my car was in for about 3 days!!
Old 05-25-2003

hahaha...

they took it to the bodyshop for an hour... they were either going to offer me rides (both ways) or give me a rental car....

instead, i opted to test drive the element and had fun with that for an hour!! hahaha

draven: so you really don't buy the dust getting in the way = rust? i seriously do not know what caused the rusting... i'll take pics later today of what it looks like now with the yellow trying to resurface...
Old 05-25-2003
Registered!!

AzimuthX is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda Customer Relations
Mailing Address:
Honda Canada Customer Relations
715 Milner Avenue
Toronto, ON
M1B 2K8
Number: 1-888-9-HONDA-9 (1-888-946-6329)
Hours: 8:00 am to 7:30 pm Monday to Friday (eastern time)

I also have it saved on my cell phone for a reason, because its fun to see their looks when you threaten them, they refuse, so you call Customer Relations on the spot. Repaint? What kind of offer is that, that is totally b.s because rust can never be cured, you can fix it a little but it will reform again. Unless they are going to cut the rust section, put a new peice of metal, weld it, sand it, and paint it, which is a total *** job, you need a brand new trunk.

How the rust can be formed? Cars are usually transported through train from the docking station, when the train brakes, there is tons of bare metal dust flying around, and in this case it probably landed a some on your car. Since it is high heat, it will sorta go into the paint. As time passes, the metal dust will corrode thus rust. It is always important to clay your car immediately, and also continue that with future detailing.
Old 05-25-2003
Registered!!

babychai: I've got a body shop at work and in 5 years of working there I have never seen or heard of such a thing happening so I don't buy into that explanation for a second....

azimuth: nice try macguyver... but no... oh and by repaint I mean sand the entire thing down and get rid of the rust, not repaint over it...
Old 05-25-2003

i'll take it back sometime next month and they'd probably sand down the entire trunk and repaint it...

about repainting it, will there be a chance that the trunk and the rest of the car not matching?

if this fix doesn't work, then i'm going to ask for a new trunk!
Old 05-25-2003
Registered!!

netcbc is an unknown quantity at this point
wow your the man/girl , you found something that small on ur car, i think if it was me, i would try some scratch remover paste and think its coo
Old 05-25-2003
BAD MON

hehehe believe draven
i took my car there for my rear bumper repair and their body shop did an amazing job. !!!
Old 05-25-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by draven
babychai: I've got a body shop at work and in 5 years of working there I have never seen or heard of such a thing happening so I don't buy into that explanation for a second....

azimuth: nice try macguyver... but no... oh and by repaint I mean sand the entire thing down and get rid of the rust, not repaint over it...
You can not sand rust, if we could, we would see a huge drop of cars with rust on the back wheel well. To remove must you must remove the section, not just sand and repaint. IT IS TRUE that metal shavings are on your car when your the train brakes, so when it attaches to the body panels, the bare metal peices will corrode!

There is a chance it wont match, and it happened, remember the accident on my cousins civic, the rear right fender got 'replaced (cut, weld, sand, paint) and I can trace the two panels that was welded. Honda will not repaint the whole care, just the section, under the body imperfections warrenty conditions.

How else it got rust? Someone intetionally injected corrosive chemicals into it, or it was submerged in water?

Last edited by AzimuthX; 05-25-2003 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-26-2003
Registered!!

you have silver right..? the color matching should be fine unless they really don't know what they're doing...
Old 05-26-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by AzimuthX
You can not sand rust, if we could, we would see a huge drop of cars with rust on the back wheel well. To remove must you must remove the section, not just sand and repaint. IT IS TRUE that metal shavings are on your car when your the train brakes, so when it attaches to the body panels, the bare metal peices will corrode!

There is a chance it wont match, and it happened, remember the accident on my cousins civic, the rear right fender got 'replaced (cut, weld, sand, paint) and I can trace the two panels that was welded. Honda will not repaint the whole care, just the section, under the body imperfections warrenty conditions.

How else it got rust? Someone intetionally injected corrosive chemicals into it, or it was submerged in water?
probably cause most of the cars with rust on the back wheel well are from the 1980's and aren't worth fixing in the first place.... and since there's a big difference between a spot of surface rust and an entire quarter panel having been eaten away, your point is....

and there aren't any bare metal pieces on the trunk... I could have sworn that it was painted... lol... at least my trunk is...

and yes there's a chance that the paint won't match, but the car is silver and hasn't been around long enough for the color to fade anyways so it should be easy to blend it in...

and I don't know, maybe someone did intentionally inject corrosive chemicals into it, or maybe the car did decide to go for a swim... lol... whats the difference macguyver..?? maybe aliens got to it and are spawning inside the trunk...
Old 05-26-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by draven
you have silver right..? the color matching should be fine unless they really don't know what they're doing...
Which I believe so at the dealers , I'll take a picture of my cousin's recently repaired 13K$ in damage accident. The fender is clearly seperated as you can see where it was cut,weld,sand and painted. The replaced door is also a little different from the original, but than who cares, one loses interest in keeping the car perfect as it ages. Don't worry Annie it should be fine, but I wud prefer a replaced trunk under the Rust Perofection Warrenty or else customers relations would be hearing a call from me. Worse comes to worst, if the rust expands, it wouldnt go far, just replace the trunk