General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

osram joule led bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Re: osram joule led bulbs

How much for one of these LED's?
Old 10-20-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

looking forward to the project hehe
Old 10-20-2008
You VTEC...I-VTEC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gearbox
looking forward to the project hehe
me too!
Old 10-21-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

from what i gathered by looking at the housings, the outers are gonna be cake. just glue it on and reinstall the light. inners are gonna be harder cause the metal is in the way, and also i need to decide whether i should cut the extended socket hole down or mount the led further back. i have to see how it looks compared to the outer piece. inner piece is really shallow, outer piece is deeper inside. and i decided to just do it like stock where only the outers are brake and inners are parking only.
Old 10-21-2008
Jp7
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jp7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
from what i gathered by looking at the housings, the outers are gonna be cake. just glue it on and reinstall the light. inners are gonna be harder cause the metal is in the way, and also i need to decide whether i should cut the extended socket hole down or mount the led further back. i have to see how it looks compared to the outer piece. inner piece is really shallow, outer piece is deeper inside. and i decided to just do it like stock where only the outers are brake and inners are parking only.
Walmart rubber mallet for 2$ works wonders =)
Old 10-21-2008
Jp7
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TRIZ
How much for one of these LED's?
PM me for price!, but Gearbox just wiped out some of my stash I only have a few left.
Old 10-23-2008
Premium Member

here are the joules. the chrome piece on the bottom is not part of the assembly, its the back of the stock mountaineer reflector lens.

and turned on. they have a dim and a bright mode. the dim mode made the camera go crazy so im guessing it has some sort of PWM circuit in there. my eyes couldnt tell anything. the bright mode is much much brighter than dim mode.

Old 10-23-2008
Jp7
Registered!!

you might want to clean some of my cuts up, I left some extra material there but it really isn't necessary as long as they lay flat - I suggest you put them in your tails and just duct tape them for photo comparisons hooked up to a 12V power supply. It works good for a 'vs' photo.

can you score me up on the itrader?

Last edited by Jp7; 10-23-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-23-2008
Jp7
Registered!!

Very similar post from ranger-forums.com

http://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2/...ad.php?t=70611
Old 10-23-2008
Jp7
Registered!!

I forgot to mention, if you only want to use bright mode on one of the lights, just wire the blue and red together and use them as one positive.
Old 10-23-2008
Premium Member

cool yeah i think its in the instructions. first thing i need to do is just test fit them and see what the output looks like. um are you saying i should use those chrome scraps on there from the stock tails? i dont think im going to lol. you know they just twist off right? this is the actual led bulb taken out of the "reflector" from the car. oh okay i read the other guys post and seems like he kept them because it reflects some more light. i didnt really see that much difference tho removing them. seems like 90% of the light is thrown to the sides of the bulb.

Last edited by gearbox; 10-23-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-23-2008
Jp7
Registered!!

Yes of course I know they twist out, remember I invented this mod. What I am saying is that the cuts I made aren't the evenest - check the link to ranger forums. My buddy Shane's thread shows how he took it down some.
Old 10-23-2008
Premium Member

yup i see what he did now. good thread.

some night pics to show dim and bright mode. the reflector piece really does help alot more than i thought. it looks like thats what really makes it work. the bulb by itself does not seem too intense, and alot of light is reflected downward too. i may be looking for a new set of tails to practice with. cutting is gonna be involved on the inner pieces for sure cause the bulb does not even fit in all the way. i will try the outer pieces later and see what the outcome is.

exposure times are the SAME for comparison pics.

view from the top in bright mode to show the reflector piece working

side view to show the light ring

dim mode

bright mode. here you can see where most of the light gets directed in a "hotspot" on the floor in a circle around the led. so it seems that rather than direct sidefiring, it is downward angled.

Old 10-23-2008
My Honda Loves Me ^_^

2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that's nice.
Old 10-24-2008
Premium Member

im having a really tough time with these. there is no room at all back there and after carving out a ton of plastic from the stock tails, im still nowhere close. i even broke one of the led bulbs trying to take it apart to fit it better. the board snapped off lol. so i think im gonna use the assembly and wire my own superflux leds. this will be interesting but worth a try. im glad i didnt hack my tail up that bad, i can still put it back on the car with stock bulbs.
Old 10-24-2008
My Honda Loves Me ^_^

2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Dang. Well, I'll be checking this thread out to see the final outcome of it all. I may try this soon...

Good luck, Gearbox.
Old 10-24-2008
Premium Member

sometimes stuff just doesnt work out i guess. but i like learning how crap is made so its not all a waste lol. that clear light guide piece directs light shining from the bottom out the side that its shining from. so if you take an led and move it in a circle at the bottom, the beam coming out the side moves too. and the bulb only has 4 leds inside. they look to be hi power smt and they are getting really hot which i wasnt too happy about either. i measured 100F after only a couple mins of run time. will post more pics of them taken apart. the stock heatsink is okay, but not great.
Old 10-24-2008
Jp7
Registered!!

The only reason you need the chrome pieces is to epoxy them onto the back of your stock lights. You want to modify them so that you can screw the L1224R bulbs into the tails.

Did you read all of shanes thread on ranger-forums.com - the only thing in your way should be the sheetmetal.
Old 03-02-2009
Registered!!

rescueu2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Jp7, I have a Malibu that I want to hook these up to, I have the bulbs, but I don't have the plugs to wire them into my existing wire harnes. Do you happen to have any laying around that you would be willing to part with???
Old 12-10-2009
Jp7
Registered!!

bump if anyone else wants these bulbs.