General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Whats the potential of our engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bridge is an unknown quantity at this point
Whats the potential of our engine?

I was wondering how much hp you could crank out of the ol' D17, just let me know if I'm full of cr@p or not. In the Honda Tuning mag there is a prototype Civic kicking out 170hp..... Now if you were to throw on a HKS ball bearing turbo kit with an intercooler and whatnot, could you crank out 250+hp? The reason I'm asking is I see a lot of ppl. on these fourms saying that if you want more power, get a different car. True or Flase? Thanks.
Old 02-15-2002
Registered!!

emmagatorone is an unknown quantity at this point
Every turbo application is different on every car man. There is no way of telling until thoes parts do come out for our cars!
Old 02-15-2002
Registered!!

Diznavis is an unknown quantity at this point
youre gonna get flamed for this one. right now about the only thing that will increase hp significantly is nitrous. when (if) a turbo comes out, that will change, but for now 7th gen civics are slow
Old 02-15-2002
Registered!!

Well yeah but I was just asking about the potential
Old 02-15-2002
Registered!!

UncleB is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm sure the potential is there, but someone has to find the key to unlock it. give it time.
Old 02-15-2002
Registered!!

CarbonFiberSi is an unknown quantity at this point
If you noticed in that same Honda Tuning mag. there was a JUN civic with some prototype stuff also. I'm getting the
NX Express GenX kit and when I can get my hands on the JUN cam that will be going in too. I figure I'll try to get
whatever I can out of the motor. 200hp at the wheels doesn't seem that far out of reach.
Old 02-15-2002
Registered!!

antidote11 is an unknown quantity at this point
I would say...and some will think this is bullshit...but fu ck it....our Inline 4 Cylinder SOHC 1.7 Liter VTEC equiped engine
has the potential, I said potential God Dammmmit, of about 500 Horsepower. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] No...seriously, I'm not lying.
Old 02-15-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
I think there is a little potential there, but not a whole lot. I would much rather see a supercharger for the car than a turbo. The car was meant to be a fuel sipper, more or less. I/E/H will give ya a little bump. Not a whole lot of horsepower will be gained, but the car is so light and puts out so little stock, 10 hp can really make a difference.

Oops, to see significant gains in hp, you will have to spend more money than it is worth. You'd be better off buying a new rsx or something similar. However, there is something about modding a car that is much more satisfying than just buying one ready to go.
Old 02-15-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
Well Naturally aspirated with ALOT of custom made parts, ALOT of fuel ratio, valve, and ignition timing. .. We can squeek about 250-270HP out of our engines. But it would not be streetable.
Streetable potential without Nitrous, Naturally aspirated. Tuned to hel with New pistons rods and crank, flywheel, Cams.. About 180HP and still remain decently streetable.

If the come out wil a complete turbo kit and you do all of the above mentioned as well. well Reliably I'd say in the 300HP range and remain streetable(have enough torque to go about daily use)...

Mind you that would cost you well over $30-50K for all this easily. So.. in reality. 170HP N/A
230 Turbo/Nitrous after new Pistons and rods and cams come out. And new fuel rails, Fuel pumps repgrammaed ECU..

Want a fast car sell your 7th gen, get a 99-00 Si, and a Greddy Turbo Kit, new cams pistons and rods, and for $10-15k you'll have a 300HP streetable civic.
Old 02-15-2002
Registered!!

VtecRacer2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't think a swap is good If you wanted a different engine just buy the car that comes with it. Not trying to hate on anybodys comments, just my 2 cents.
Old 02-15-2002
Registered!!

2Hondaz is an unknown quantity at this point
I can see this engine putting out up to 300hp when all the parts are available. I'm not about to buy a different car with more hp just because that's what I want. That ruins all the fun of making a little car like ours a lean mean racing machine. It CAN be done, but yes, it will take time and money. If you're not willing to invest in your ride, then sell it and buy something fast out of the box, but again, where's the pride in driving something that is fast to begin with? There's tons of fun and pride in driving a car that you've doubled, or even tripled the horsepower in.
Old 02-15-2002
Registered!!

black2k1vtec is an unknown quantity at this point
your question: Whats the potential of our engine?
my question: How much money are you willing to spend?

Answer: pretty good, I would say 220-270 WHP, with a good fuel system, internals, head work (p+p, cams, springs, port match) and turbo/nos kit.
Old 02-15-2002
Registered!!

Yeah I agree that it isn't much fun buying a fast car out of the box..... It'd be interesting to see which would be faster..... an RSX Type S or a 7th gen civic with the 10k difference put into it....... Besides when you mod your car, chances are someone else dosen't have the exactly the same car as you..... my 2 cents
Old 02-17-2002
Registered!!

Edge is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree