Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

7th Gen potential?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SugarRay is an unknown quantity at this point
7th Gen potential?

Hey,

Basically, what in terms of preformance our car's maximum potential. Of course being street legal. And also without doing an engine swap.

I bought my car with the notation of making it look clean and simple and with some "minor" preformances mods. I was never into the whole import scene or racing. Thus, with my decision to buy an Automatic and a brand new car.

But after getting the car, coming on this site and multiple import sites, I want my car to not only look clean but preform to the maximum of its capabilities.

After discovering this import world, I have been told that I should've just bought the SI, but its a little too late for that now.

So back to the topic, with I/H/E thats about a 5-10 hp gain. Which is little but still an improvement.

Basically the real potential has to come from the Supercharger and/or Turbo.

So with I/H/E and with a HKS Turbo and the rest which include cam gears, pulleys, etc.... what is the maximum potential of our cars?

Hopefully, in the 200Hp range, which isn't that bad.

Ray
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

UncleB is an unknown quantity at this point
that sounds like a pretty optimistic number. good luck.
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

redcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
I saw a civic that had done a port polish and deck on the head plus a couple of small mods no turbo super or nos and it had 180 hp
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

antidote11 is an unknown quantity at this point
The reason our cars suck at HP gains is because of our emission controls. That's the only thing that
seperates them from the 6th gen. civics. But after my warranty is up, I will remove and/or hollow out the cats, and upgrade the OBC to get rid of that emissions crap. That in itself will give me a good HP gain. And there is so much you can do to your car to make it faster....
ignition, fuel-injection, pulleys, crank pulleys, cam gears, camshafts, new rods, rings, intakes, headers, cat-backs, NOS, wieght modification, A/F Controllers, all kinds of sh*it. Use your imagination, but just make sure your wallet can keep up.

Money Talks, and bullsh*it drives slow.....
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

2cute is an unknown quantity at this point
your car is capable of 250 hp at the wheels its is just a matter of how you want to pay to get your car in that range oh and the si is a piece or at leat in my opinion
Old 01-07-2002
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
With all the money you are spending putting all that into your car, you could buy an Si or RSX for that. Figure you spend like 15k on Vtec then another 2-4k on turbo/supercharger then another 2-4k on rims I/H/E. I don't understand???[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

htowncivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
robbclark1

New 2001 Civic EX = $16,600. Even with $10k worth of modifications, you're around the base price of an RSX Type S. So suppose that instead of modifying your Civic, you just spend $26k on a base Type S. Would most of us just sit back and be done with it? Yeah, right... we would still spend the extra grand for a set of better rims/wheels, plus more for an aftermarket exhaust, and if there is a turbo available, then yeah add that in too. It's all about customizing your vehicle to your particular likes and tastes.

And to everyone who says to forget about swapping in a Type S engine into a Civic. Yeah - moneywise, you'd probably be able to get a new Type S for the same amount of money it would cost you to do the swap. BUT - anyone and their mom can go out to an Acura dealership and buy a Type S. How many people can say they have a hybid 7th gen Civic/RSX? I, for one, would love to see a hybrid 7th gen Civic.

Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

Turbo is an unknown quantity at this point
htowncivicex very nice point.
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

ScottieEX is an unknown quantity at this point
with I/H/E, port, polish, maybe new intake/exhaust manifolds, ECU, vtec timer, etc etc plus a turbo 200hp is definately possible.. it'll just take a whole lotta cash and time to get there.
Old 01-08-2002
Registered!!

02EXCoupeGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
It's all about the Benjamins Baby!![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-08-2002

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Well I understand the point of hooking up a car. It is fun! and I agree. I wish I had the money to do it now. I just find it weird when people say, "I don't have the money for a faster car, so I will spend my money on stuff that makes my car go faster." If you have the money to spend making your car go as fast as the one you said you can't afford, then you CAN afford it. It like saying "I can't afford an Si, but I will put a 3k turbo plus I/H/E on my civic" when i reality if you traded in the civic and used that money, you really could afford the Si. That is all I am pointing out.
Old 01-08-2002
Registered!!

SugarRay is an unknown quantity at this point

<< With all the money you are spending putting all that into your car, you could buy an Si or RSX for that. Figure you spend like 15k on Vtec then another 2-4k on turbo/supercharger then another 2-4k on rims I/H/E. I don't understand??? >>

Well, think about it this way.

In terms of the RSX it equals roughly this.

Stock RSX = Civic 2001 + All mods listed.

Now, in reality a RSX is more then that but I use roughly for a comparsion.

Now you get the Stock RSX and I would still want to modify the car for looks and extra preformance. So that leads to another discussion on "Why mod the RSX to make it better, why not get an XXX (Insert higher brand model here i.e Lexus IS 300)

Its an endless discussion.

I got the Civic because I personally like it. and I knew it was within my budget considering monthly payment (which would be higher if I got the RSX ) Same goes with insurance.

<< Well I understand the point of hooking up a car. It is fun! and I agree. I wish I had the money to do it now. I just find it weird when people say, "I don't have the money for a faster car, so I will spend my money on stuff that makes my car go faster." If you have the money to spend making your car go as fast as the one you said you can't afford, then you CAN afford it. >>

Not really. I can afford my monthly payment as it is right now. Anything higher will totally kill me in the long run. Getting the "Car I *really* wanted" would've up'ed both my INS and Monthly where it would be impossible for me to pay.

Modding a car on the other hand is much easier for me. I get to plan, save up my money and get the mods whenever I *CAN* afford it. Rather then stressing out on a consistent monthly payment, that has to be paid full on time every month.

Again, with mods, I can take my time and get it when its convenient in terms of my spending.

Ray
Old 01-08-2002
Registered!!

WeSSoN is an unknown quantity at this point
Guys once you get yer Turbos yer Intake and exhaust need to be changed...also you wont need headers anymore if you've got some....
Old 01-08-2002
Registered!!

i'm just curious why you would put a turbo on a civic
Old 01-08-2002
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Take the old fashioned hot rod approach. Blurprint and balance, port and polish, modified cam, bigger throttle body, recalibrate or aftermarket ecu. You should be able to get some pretty decent performance from that, with the right intake and exhaust.
Old 01-08-2002
Registered!!

i'm just curious why you would put a turbo on a civic
Old 01-08-2002
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point

<< i'm just curious why you would put a turbo on a civic >>

Why not? Keep the body almost stock and run a turbo and build up the suspension. Ever hear of a "sleeper"?
Old 01-08-2002
Registered!!

UncleB is an unknown quantity at this point
its all about the "sleeper"

that is what I will probably do with mine if I choose to do some engine mods in the future. I want some joker to pull up next to me and rev his engine thinking he can toast a civic and then put him in his place. it will probably never happen, but the look on their face would be nice.
Old 01-08-2002
Registered!!

trevor is an unknown quantity at this point
you said it uncle b......thats the way im going[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-08-2002

SugarRay: I completely understand your point, but aren't u hurting yourself in the long run. I mean your payment is lower now, but when you go to sell the car, you won't get hardly anything for your mods (unless you part it out). So you will end up losing more money later. I know you are going to say to me that later in life I will hopefully be earning more money and it won't be a problem.
The whole insurance thing and the lower payment does make sense though!