General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

afraid to downshift

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver_Si is an unknown quantity at this point
afraid to downshift

Just wondering, has anyone else experienced the problem of a "sticky shift" in first and second gears, especailly when downshifting? Is there a loose screw quick fix or what is the best remedy.

Thanks
Old 04-22-2005
Registered!!

Silver_Si is an unknown quantity at this point
anyone?
Old 04-22-2005
Registered!!

Skunk2ner is an unknown quantity at this point
what do you mean by "sticky shift"? hard to get out of gear or to put it in gear?
Old 04-22-2005
You cant spell CRAP without APC

MarylandEcstasy is an unknown quantity at this point
nope. maybe you should get a dc short throw adaptor.. we have really long throws imo
Old 04-22-2005
Registered!!

02SILVEREX has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I had a problem with sticky shifts! Everyone thought I was . My car was still under warranty at the time. After taking it to the dealer, (the car was still there) I found a TSB on it. Then the dealer called. The ended up replacing the shifter assy. It seemed to work. Until I threw a short shifter on. The shifter assy. they put in is an updated part. You may want to take a look into doing that. The stickyness I am encountering is to no fault of my own. But knowing the differance of how the two feel..... I know my stickyness is not a problem.
Old 04-22-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
First gear I think has a lock where you cant downshift unless your under 10mph. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Other then that, I've only had a problem a couple of times where at a stop, I wasnt able to get into first gear. To remedy this all you do is shift to second gear first then dop it into first.
Old 04-22-2005
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
i like the sticky icky.
Old 04-22-2005
Registered!!

fixeruper is an unknown quantity at this point
never happen for me, but putting in reverse i have to force it in or put it in 4th and then reverse thats the only sh** that i have problems with, i dont think its serious though
Old 04-22-2005
Registered!!

Diver is on a distinguished road
Im riding an 04 and it happens to me often....the lock might be why for 1st, never really payed attention to speed but will now, but its also happened enough times when I know I have been coasting/rolling under 10...my Car goes in this Saturday to Dealer for 10K check....going to have them look at it and see what they say.

Since I am an auto acronym noob, whats TSB?
Old 04-22-2005
I like ruining your threads.

NoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to all
You can get into 1st must sooner then 10mph if you know what you are doing.
Old 04-22-2005

cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
I've had the 1st gear sticky situation before too...sometimes when the car is idle it won't go into 1st or even 2nd, maybe it has to with th clutch as well. I've found that when driving one doen't have to press the clutch all the way in to shift to other gears, but that's not the case when the car is idle.
Old 04-22-2005
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flotsamm
First gear I think has a lock where you cant downshift unless your under 10mph. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Other then that, I've only had a problem a couple of times where at a stop, I wasnt able to get into first gear. To remedy this all you do is shift to second gear first then dop it into first.

There is no lock on any transmission.... what you are dealing with is 1st gear and the collar that acuates between 1st and 2nd are spinning at such different speeds that the syncro cant compensate for it... so the collar cant attach to 1st, so no down shift. What you need to do is syncronize the RPM's between the Collar and the Gear in order to down shift, and thats accomplished by rev-matching.
Old 04-22-2005
Registered!!

mad_ox1 will become famous soon enough
Its definately the syncros. I believe there are 3 on 1st and 2nd, and only one on 3-5 and R. As for 2nd, just slow down your shift and you shuold be fine. I can't think of a time I've ever wanted to downshift into 1st while moving much. 2nd can do pretty much anything other than a hill start. Listen to the AutoX guys ^^^ (rev match)they usually know what they are tlaking about.
Old 04-22-2005
Registered!!

hookitup34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by flotsamm

yea thats happend to me also when i stop sometime then go to put i to 1st and it wont go.
Old 04-22-2005
jdmtytedoridori
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by fixeruper
never happen for me, but putting in reverse i have to force it in or put it in 4th and then reverse thats the only sh** that i have problems with, i dont think its serious though
yeah same thing happens to me all the time with reverse. i dont think its serious either
Old 04-22-2005
Balut Eating Champ

pnoyster2k1cvic is on a distinguished road
i used to downshift alot before too... but i found out downshifting is bad for the tranny/engine... always use your brakes!

if you're having problem shifting to first while on idle, i think you just need to bleed your clutch... just my .05 coz I fix mine by bleeding it...
Old 04-22-2005
Registered!!

adnmoh1 will become famous soon enoughadnmoh1 will become famous soon enough
for had the same kind of problem with the gsr, checked my tranny fliuid found out i was running badly deposited fluids, causing sticky shifts, just did a fluid flush and running back to normal. probably gonna have to check some other stuff to make sure but so far so good.