Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Automotive Discussion (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion)
-   -   afraid to downshift (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion/208903-afraid-downshift.html)

Silver_Si 04-22-2005 03:06 AM

afraid to downshift

Just wondering, has anyone else experienced the problem of a "sticky shift" :mad: in first and second gears, especailly when downshifting? Is there a loose screw quick fix or what is the best remedy.

Thanks

Silver_Si 04-22-2005 03:30 AM

anyone?

Skunk2ner 04-22-2005 03:58 AM

what do you mean by "sticky shift"? hard to get out of gear or to put it in gear?

MarylandEcstasy 04-22-2005 05:43 AM

nope. maybe you should get a dc short throw adaptor.. we have really long throws imo

02SILVEREX 04-22-2005 07:22 AM

I had a problem with sticky shifts! Everyone thought I was :screwy: . My car was still under warranty at the time. After taking it to the dealer, (the car was still there) I found a TSB on it. Then the dealer called. The ended up replacing the shifter assy. :tup: It seemed to work. Until I threw a short shifter on. :shrug: The shifter assy. they put in is an updated part. You may want to take a look into doing that. The stickyness I am encountering is to no fault of my own. But knowing the differance of how the two feel..... I know my stickyness is not a problem. :tup:

flotsamm 04-22-2005 08:26 AM

First gear I think has a lock where you cant downshift unless your under 10mph. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Other then that, I've only had a problem a couple of times where at a stop, I wasnt able to get into first gear. To remedy this all you do is shift to second gear first then dop it into first.

pbfoot 04-22-2005 08:45 AM

i like the sticky icky.

fixeruper 04-22-2005 08:48 AM

never happen for me, but putting in reverse i have to force it in or put it in 4th and then reverse thats the only sh** that i have problems with, i dont think its serious though

Diver 04-22-2005 09:02 AM

Im riding an 04 and it happens to me often....the lock might be why for 1st, never really payed attention to speed but will now, but its also happened enough times when I know I have been coasting/rolling under 10...my Car goes in this Saturday to Dealer for 10K check....going to have them look at it and see what they say.

Since I am an auto acronym noob, whats TSB?

NoFriends 04-22-2005 10:22 AM

You can get into 1st must sooner then 10mph if you know what you are doing.

cubanmike26 04-22-2005 10:57 AM

I've had the 1st gear sticky situation before too...sometimes when the car is idle it won't go into 1st or even 2nd, maybe it has to with th clutch as well. I've found that when driving one doen't have to press the clutch all the way in to shift to other gears, but that's not the case when the car is idle.

Zzyzx 04-22-2005 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by flotsamm
First gear I think has a lock where you cant downshift unless your under 10mph. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Other then that, I've only had a problem a couple of times where at a stop, I wasnt able to get into first gear. To remedy this all you do is shift to second gear first then dop it into first.

There is no lock on any transmission.... what you are dealing with is 1st gear and the collar that acuates between 1st and 2nd are spinning at such different speeds that the syncro cant compensate for it... so the collar cant attach to 1st, so no down shift. What you need to do is syncronize the RPM's between the Collar and the Gear in order to down shift, and thats accomplished by rev-matching.

mad_ox1 04-22-2005 05:38 PM

Its definately the syncros. I believe there are 3 on 1st and 2nd, and only one on 3-5 and R. As for 2nd, just slow down your shift and you shuold be fine. I can't think of a time I've ever wanted to downshift into 1st while moving much. 2nd can do pretty much anything other than a hill start. Listen to the AutoX guys ^^^ (rev match)they usually know what they are tlaking about.

hookitup34 04-22-2005 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by flotsamm

yea thats happend to me also when i stop sometime then go to put i to 1st and it wont go.

Al Gore FTW 04-22-2005 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by fixeruper
never happen for me, but putting in reverse i have to force it in or put it in 4th and then reverse thats the only sh** that i have problems with, i dont think its serious though

yeah same thing happens to me all the time with reverse. i dont think its serious either

pnoyster2k1cvic 04-22-2005 06:04 PM

i used to downshift alot before too... but i found out downshifting is bad for the tranny/engine... always use your brakes!

if you're having problem shifting to first while on idle, i think you just need to bleed your clutch... just my .05 coz I fix mine by bleeding it...

adnmoh1 04-22-2005 08:46 PM

for had the same kind of problem with the gsr, checked my tranny fliuid found out i was running badly deposited fluids, causing sticky shifts, just did a fluid flush and running back to normal. probably gonna have to check some other stuff to make sure but so far so good.