General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

93 Octane my car loves

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004
This cost me 1500 points

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beastiek2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda told me when buying the car 87 was the correct octain are cars are designed for.
No need to increase it.
Old 01-04-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
would it be ok to switch over from 87 to 89 everytime i fill up? example: monday-87 reg, its thurs and tank is low.i then fill up with 89. then back to 87 etc etc.

how about for the d17's that have full bolt ons, would they need a little better gasoline for their 'performance' mods?
Old 01-04-2005
Registered!!

wonderz is on a distinguished road
i think the only time u need to upgrade octane is when you touch things that relates to the internals, such as FI (turbo or sc) or internal upgrades (pisons, cam, etc). Bolt-ons doesn't really do much other than to have "better" flow.
However I put nothing but 91 Chevlon(sp?) in my stock civic.
Old 01-04-2005
O RLY
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
there's no need to put in a higher octane than what the minimum required is for your car.

higher octane gas means it is more resistant to detonation, which you need on a car with higher compression. turbo'd cars often use higher octane gas, due to the fact that the turbo increases the heat and with the compression increases the chance of early detonation, especially when you crank up the boost.
Old 01-04-2005
Registered!!

realitycheck is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm sorry gearbox, im not cracking on you or anything man. Dude you need nitrous, turbo, swap, something. Because everything you do to your car you say it reduces horsepower. I'm sorry man I just think its funny, that all of your posts about performance say the same thing.

Alright, for me i've always been able to tell a difference when putting 93 in my tank compared to 87. I always use chevron and one time, I went to the a chevron and put in 93 supposedly just a little ways down the road I could immediately tell that they didnt fill the supreme tank w/ 93 they filled it with something less. I could feel it in my performance so I completely ran that tank out, went to a different chevron filled up w/ 93 and felt the performance difference come back. You guys can crack on me or w/e im just saying thats my experience with it.
Old 01-04-2005
xam
snooty patooty partier

xam has a spectacular aura aboutxam has a spectacular aura aboutxam has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by realitycheck
I always use chevron and one time, I went to the a chevron and put in 93 supposedly just a little ways down the road I could immediately tell that they didnt fill the supreme tank w/ 93 they filled it with something less. I could feel it in my performance so I completely ran that tank out, went to a different chevron filled up w/ 93 and felt the performance difference come back. You guys can crack on me or w/e im just saying thats my experience with it.
WHAT! i dont understand u.....
Old 01-04-2005
Registered!!

realitycheck is an unknown quantity at this point
Well I pumped in 93 octane, but the people at chevron that fill the big massive underground tanks didnt put 93 in there. Sometimes if they dont have in there truck or w/e they will put in whatever they have.
Old 01-04-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
I was reading a thread similar to this on some other board last week. Went to pick up my gf and decided to grab me some 87 at Sunoco. Given that I always fill up with 94 for no reason other than to feel like a hip hop superstar and blow money, I thought I would examine the change. Got to the station, and there was a sign taped to each 87 nozzle, saying "Out of 87, please fill up with 94 at the same price". I said "gawd damn, no way I can beat 67 cents a litre for 94". Ha ha, so back to 94 I went. Been running it in my car for almost 2.5 years, no problems but no gains. Again, I'm not using the gas to make my car run faster/longer/cleaner/shinier/better-smelling. I just wanna feel like a big man shelling bucks, and I figure considering I save an average of $300 a month on install costs doing things myself, this is one of those useless treats I can give myself, like that last shot of liquor at the bar when you're already wasted, or an extra fortune cookie at the chinese takeout place. And now back to shopping for parts.....
Old 01-04-2005
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
I'm not really feeling any performance gains unless I'm running high up in the gears with the VTEC. I drive an auto but I do notice the shifts are smoother. I use it all the time. When I swtich to a lower grade of gas the car doesn't feel the same...
Old 01-04-2005
Registered!!

wrussi is an unknown quantity at this point
yes 93 wont do anything for the car performance wise
also ive heard that if you live in sea level you must use lower octane and on warmer better lower octane performs better

ive tried using all three types of gas and the lowest one performs betteer and last a little longer

unless ur car says permium unleaded only u dont need to use it
Old 01-04-2005
Registered!!

exturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant future
well i use 94 and if i cant get that i get 93. and i can tell a differance. but now i cant use anything less then 93 so it doesnt matter i alwayz used 93 or better from the start.
Old 01-04-2005
just a troll who likes to laugh at YOU.

varmin will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by jttegx
would it be ok to switch over from 87 to 89 everytime i fill up? example: monday-87 reg, its thurs and tank is low.i then fill up with 89. then back to 87 etc etc.
well, since gasoline is just a blend of stuff they make at the refinery anyway, mixing one or more grades isn't a problem. call it your 'custom blend'.

and yes, i have worked at a refinery and have a chemical engineering degree.
Old 01-04-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
I heard that higher octane can cuase more deposits to build up in your cat converter since it has more oils in it. Over time, these deposits will eventually cook your cat converter up. Not sure if this only applies to old school cat converters though..
Old 01-04-2005
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
This is funny.... So you guys can Feel a difference Eh? with your Perfectly acurate "Butt Dyno"? Right.......

Did you know that Higer octane gas is acutally Harder to burn? As previously stated, the Octane rating is the Ratio of Octane to Heptane in the fuel. of these two parts of the gas, Octane is Very stable, and Very tough to get to burn (Requires High COmpression), Heptane is Unstable, and easy to get to burn..... SO Higher octane gasses actually Hold Less Energy then Lower octane gasses. and because of the Higher Octane content, They also Require Higher Compression to burn.... Meaning if you use High octane gas in an engine with low compression, Less of that fuel will burn = More wasted gas is being expelled through the tail pipe.

SO, Not only are you wasting $ by buing Higher Octane rated gas then you need, But you are also not getting any extra perfromance out of the engine... AND you are quite possibly Poluting more because of the extra unburned gas being pushed through the tail pipe.

Last edited by Zzyzx; 01-04-2005 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-04-2005
Registered!!

DaRickSta is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.petro-canada.ca/eng/prodserv/fuels/6823.htm

This might settle a few of the arguments.
Old 01-04-2005
Registered!!

johnbt23 is a name known to alljohnbt23 is a name known to alljohnbt23 is a name known to alljohnbt23 is a name known to alljohnbt23 is a name known to alljohnbt23 is a name known to alljohnbt23 is a name known to all
listen to zzyzx, he knows his s..t
Old 01-04-2005
Registered!!

tbaleno is an unknown quantity at this point
That link shouldn't convince anyone. Its a gas company trying to tell you you may need to get more expensive gas and trying to rationalize it.
Old 01-04-2005
O RLY

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Zzyzx
This is funny.... So you guys can Feel a difference Eh? with your Perfectly acurate "Butt Dyno"? Right.......

Did you know that Higer octane gas is acutally Harder to burn? As previously stated, the Octane rating is the Ratio of Octane to Heptane in the fuel. of these two parts of the gas, Octane is Very stable, and Very tough to get to burn (Requires High COmpression), Heptane is Unstable, and easy to get to burn..... SO Higher octane gasses actually Hold Less Energy then Lower octane gasses. and because of the Higher Octane content, They also Require Higher Compression to burn.... Meaning if you use High octane gas in an engine with low compression, Less of that fuel will burn = More wasted gas is being expelled through the tail pipe.

SO, Not only are you wasting $ by buing Higher Octane rated gas then you need, But you are also not getting any extra perfromance out of the engine... AND you are quite possibly Poluting more because of the extra unburned gas being pushed through the tail pipe.
lol saved me the time of posting the same thing.
Old 01-04-2005
O RLY

Originally Posted by tbaleno
That link shouldn't convince anyone. Its a gas company trying to tell you you may need to get more expensive gas and trying to rationalize it.
yeah that link is full o ****
Old 01-04-2005
Stop f*cking with me.

Grumble is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by DaRickSta
http://www.petro-canada.ca/eng/prodserv/fuels/6823.htm

This might settle a few of the arguments.
I wouldn't trust anything a gas company released if it came to something like this. It's not enought that they rape us for overall prices, but then to try and make it worse?? ****.
Old 01-04-2005
up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-b-a-b-a-start

R1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of light
There have been tests done by Motor Trend and other reputable car magazines. Putting higher octane gas in a car meant to be driven on regular gas is a waste of money and can harm power. And... putting lower octane gas in a car that requires higher octane gas is a bad idea as well.

Motortrend actually used an M3 to test this and they used a bunch of other fuel economy cars. They were all dyno tested and the graphs proved their statement.

So.. like most of the guys said.... putting anything higher then 87 octane in our cars is a big waste of money.

Last edited by R1Style; 01-04-2005 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-04-2005
just a troll who likes to laugh at YOU.

varmin will become famous soon enough
here's a better definition of octane rating:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm

an extra point i would like to make: the rating is based on what octane/heptane ratio the fuel _performs_ like. it's not just straight heptane mixed with octane (which would cost refineries a LOT more to make). the various streams in the refinery are known by such names as heavy/light naptha, heavy/light distillate, and about 10 other grades i can't remember the names of. they mix these in varying ratios to make different grades of gas. none of them are _pure_ anything (although refineries do make various pure products, like benzene or propylene, they're not in gasoline, as they're too expensive, or inappropriate, to put in gas). i guess the point i was trying to make is, don't go around telling people gasoline is just hept- and octane, as you will be wrong

/end chemical engineer rant

bottom line: obey the owner's manual. 87 octane is what our compression ratio is designed for, just as other cars (read as: real performance cars) require 91+ for their higher compression.
Old 01-04-2005
Registered!!

MY01HX is an unknown quantity at this point
93 octane gives me worst gas mileage
Old 01-04-2005
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by varmin
an extra point i would like to make: the rating is based on what octane/heptane ratio the fuel _performs_ like. it's not just straight heptane mixed with octane (which would cost refineries a LOT more to make). the various streams in the refinery are known by such names as heavy/light naptha, heavy/light distillate, and about 10 other grades i can't remember the names of. they mix these in varying ratios to make different grades of gas. none of them are _pure_ anything (although refineries do make various pure products, like benzene or propylene, they're not in gasoline, as they're too expensive, or inappropriate, to put in gas). i guess the point i was trying to make is, don't go around telling people gasoline is just hept- and octane, as you will be wrong

/end chemical engineer rant
Sure Get all technical on us....
Old 05-18-2023
Registered!!

HondaKDB256 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 93 Octane my car loves

Originally Posted by HondaSales
our engines are designed for 86/87 octane. putting a higher octane in them won't change anything unless you have forced induction. it might actually be worse for the car. i met a guy who is a chemical engineer for exxon today and he just went over all of this with me.
Wait!! Where did everyone go?

Last edited by BrotatoChip; 05-19-2023 at 06:33 AM.
Old 05-19-2023
Super Moderator

Received 1,865 Likes on 1,311 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: 93 Octane my car loves

This thread is 18 years old, what are you doing
The following 2 users liked this post by BrotatoChip:
Colin42 (05-19-2023), sdaidoji (05-19-2023)