General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

93 Octane my car loves

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sokka7 is an unknown quantity at this point
93 Octane my car loves

So I'm at the gas station deciding which gas I should get...So far I ran on the 87 gas, so tonite I was like **** it...I'm gonna go with 93, so I drive on that for like 10 miles and than I gota get up at six am to stock beer so I hop in my civic and it's really cold...I got AEM CAI and Custom Exhaust on it so far, man the improvement was major on that 93 octane, like I could feel the engine just push n push, anyone try this?
Old 09-18-2004
I wish I was asian

cambo has a spectacular aura aboutcambo has a spectacular aura about
its just gas.

The difference in octane shouldn't cause a difference in power production unless your car is detonating or pinging.

Do you even know what the different octane ratings mean and what they do?
Old 09-18-2004
I like you! do you like me?

Farage is on a distinguished road
i have always been using 93, even 94 at times. 87 sucks ***. my dad used to use 93 in his MDX and now he uses 87 because of gas prices. it sucks ***.
Old 09-18-2004
Registered!!

HondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of light
our engines are designed for 86/87 octane. putting a higher octane in them won't change anything unless you have forced induction. it might actually be worse for the car. i met a guy who is a chemical engineer for exxon today and he just went over all of this with me. i used to put 89 in my car but not anymore. he told me that in the long run, it will actually hurt my engine.
Old 09-18-2004
Euro-Spec

tripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nice
I don't think it can hurt the engine. I've been putting 91 in my car since last year. BTW, I went to Europe this year, and I saw a couple 7th gen sedans...some woman was actually putting OMV super 100 in her car...I was like ****...
I mean all they have is 95 98 and 100, I don't think putting 91 in our cars will damage anything.
Old 09-18-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
It could cause more deposits. I tried 93 a while back and felt like I lost power. So now I use 89. When my car was stock, I used 87.
Old 09-18-2004
Registered!!

HondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by tripledoublegs
I don't think it can hurt the engine. I've been putting 91 in my car since last year. BTW, I went to Europe this year, and I saw a couple 7th gen sedans...some woman was actually putting OMV super 100 in her car...I was like ****...
I mean all they have is 95 98 and 100, I don't think putting 91 in our cars will damage anything.
i have no idea. i'm just going by what this guy was telling me. but given his occupation, i think might know what hes talking about.
Old 09-18-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
It could cause more deposits. I tried 93 a while back and felt like I lost power. So now I use 89. When my car was stock, I used 87.
this guy told me that you are putting more "energy" into the engine when it does not require it.
Old 09-18-2004
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
nothing but crap for my baby
Old 09-18-2004
Registered!!

^lol
Old 09-18-2004
Registered!!

ojay is on a distinguished road
doesn't like higher octane burn at a higher temperature? isn't that why it's pointless unless you'r running FI?

besides, our ECU doesn't have advanced timing to detect it why bother...
Old 09-18-2004
gone

Nitto will become famous soon enough
I use 93 all the time :\
Old 09-18-2004
Registered!!

CelCUs is an unknown quantity at this point
The higher octane rating is more stable if you're running FI or High Compression . . . it's totally unnecessary for our cars and you are probably hurting the car in the long run using it since it's been tuned for 89 octane. And that 95, 95, 100 is because they use a different system for rating the amount of octane in their gasoline. It could be slightly higher than gas around here, but they're using a different system to rate their gasoline
Old 09-18-2004
Registered!!

Trix has a little shameless behaviour in the past
In europe we are putting 98 and 95 octane in cars.
It will not hurt you engine. It just burns better. You get more energy from it.
We buy always race gas, it cost like 250€/50l, and then you fill diference.
It's like a new car. Quick response.

Greetz
Old 09-18-2004
Banned

Ramones is an unknown quantity at this point
You won't be hurting the engine, but it does nothing for power.

Higher octane fuel just burns more slowly thus your will have to retard or advance the ignition timing to achieve the power you would have gotten if you just filled with 87.

So have fun wasting more money on fuel and gaining nothing in return.
Old 09-18-2004
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
i use 89, only mod is hi flow cat. i used to use 87 regular when it was completely stock, but after the hi flow cat, i thought it deserved a little more =)

im not saying their was a better difference, just thought it'd be healthier for the car somewhat.

question... does gasoline become affected by weather and heat? example: using 89 plus in my civic would be better than 87 regular during hot *** days. or am i just an idiot?
Old 09-18-2004
Registered!!

sokka7 is an unknown quantity at this point
So our cars are designed for the 89? and also to everyone the rating system is based on what percentage of fuels actually burns and what goes out as air...thus 93 would be 93% would burn and 7% would be a waste...The reason it could be a negative aspect on the engine is the fact that it causes a stronger explosion in the cylinder causing it to jump up harder thus giving you more power so STFU and spit knowledge
Old 09-18-2004
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
i run only sunoco ultra 94.............but then again, i am boosting 9psi daily
Old 09-19-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by sokka7
so STFU and spit knowledge
What about 110 octace race gas? The engine is burning gas that doesnt exist?

The compression ratio of your engine determines the octane rating of the gas you must use in the car. One way to increase the horsepower of an engine of a given displacement is to increase its compression ratio. So a "high-performance engine" has a higher compression ratio and requires higher-octane fuel.

87 octane gasoline is gasoline that contains 87-percent octane and 13-percent heptane (or some other combination of fuels that has the same performance of the 87/13 combination of octane/heptane). It spontaneously ignites at a given compression level, and can only be used in engines that do not exceed that compression ratio.

So why don't YOU stfu and spit some knowledge?
Old 09-19-2004
Mr. Clean

Changu-San can only hope to improve
89 works fine for me...never tried 93 though
Old 09-19-2004
Registered!!

exclusive_vtec will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Ramones
You won't be hurting the engine, but it does nothing for power.

Higher octane fuel just burns more slowly thus your will have to retard or advance the ignition timing to achieve the power you would have gotten if you just filled with 87.

So have fun wasting more money on fuel and gaining nothing in return.
^^^ couldnt have said it better my self
Old 09-19-2004
I wish I was asian

cambo has a spectacular aura aboutcambo has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Mystic3030
What about 110 octace race gas? The engine is burning gas that doesnt exist?

The compression ratio of your engine determines the octane rating of the gas you must use in the car. One way to increase the horsepower of an engine of a given displacement is to increase its compression ratio. So a "high-performance engine" has a higher compression ratio and requires higher-octane fuel.

87 octane gasoline is gasoline that contains 87-percent octane and 13-percent heptane (or some other combination of fuels that has the same performance of the 87/13 combination of octane/heptane). It spontaneously ignites at a given compression level, and can only be used in engines that do not exceed that compression ratio.

So why don't YOU stfu and spit some knowledge?
this would be the only correct information in this thread.
Old 09-19-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Other factors also affect the octane that should be used, like atmospheric elevation, temp, and a few others.
Old 09-19-2004
Registered!!

02ciVike is an unknown quantity at this point
I would say anything higher then 89 octane is a waste of money for a stock d17. There is no power gain in using higher octane gasoline with this engine plus it was designed for lower octane 87.
Old 09-19-2004
Registered!!

IDQcivic should not be trusted
I think the higher octane improves gas mileages, last tank of gas I got like 35 MPG and I bought some expensive Shell gas which I never buy... Anyways I have my cam gear advanced 2 degrees and I have a venom-400 so I use high octane, it just seems my car bogs down more when I use the cheap stuff....
Old 09-19-2004
AR
e-married to daydreamer

AR will become famous soon enough
I've used 87 at times.

Now since I don't take my car out as much... I'd rather use a higher octane fuel so that I wont have problems with the fuel aging and etc etc etc.
Old 09-19-2004
Why is my vagina bleeding?

nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by gearbox
Other factors also affect the octane that should be used, like atmospheric elevation, temp, and a few others.

I use the 93 octane when I've used the odbII code reader

Old 09-19-2004
I like you! do you like me?

Farage is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by IDQcivic
I think the higher octane improves gas mileages, last tank of gas I got like 35 MPG and I bought some expensive Shell gas which I never buy... Anyways I have my cam gear advanced 2 degrees and I have a venom-400 so I use high octane, it just seems my car bogs down more when I use the cheap stuff....
that is very true. 93 improves gas mileage over 87. if you don't believe me, try it out before stating otherwise.
Old 09-19-2004
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
^keeping track of gas mileage varys though. weather conditions, what kind of roads, traffic hour, freeway, hard driving, etc etc. im pretty sure you dont make the exact moves on every other tank..

i had that "bog down" feeling too when i went from 91 to 89. i guess it was just my mind playing games on me.

this is an important question, hope someone can answer me: "will using 91+ pump gasoline harm our d17's (non f/i) in anyway?" how? (thanks)
Old 09-19-2004
Premium Member

I already tried that. Went on a trip with 89 and got 38mpg all highway. Then filled up with 93, drove it down, put in another tank, and went on the same trip. Mpg was about the same, actually a little lower.

You guys will, laugh, but I felt that the engine performed worse with 93. I put in 89 again and the car feels better. Someone else also reported that the ecu will adjust ignition timing with higher octane, and that's how performance is affected.

Quick Reply: 93 Octane my car loves